• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton-vs-Coll.png
2.PNG

Where and when: MCG, Saturday May 11, 1.45pm AEST

Melbourne Forecast
1.PNG
Cloudy. High (70%) chance of showers in the southeast suburbs, medium (40%) chance elsewhere. Winds west to southwesterly 15 to 25 km/h becoming light in the evening.

Last time they met: MCG, round 14, 2018: Collingwood 11.13 (79) defeated Carlton 9.5 (59)
The Blues were within 14 points at the final change, only for Scott Pendlebury to eventually lead the Pies to victory. Patrick Cripps and Charlie Curnow combined for six goals as a young Carlton outfit gave Collingwood all it had, only to fall just short.

What it means for Carlton: After a horror show against North Melbourne last weekend, Carlton simply must make a statement against the old enemy. Another shocking showing will ramp up the pressure on coach Brendon Bolton.

What it means for Collingwood: Four straight wins have Collingwood within touching distance of top spot. Perhaps the team to beat this season, the Pies must avoid unnecessary slip-ups against the teams they should overcome.

How Carlton wins: By getting its hands on the footy. North Melbourne had 128 more disposals than Carlton last Sunday. That's simply not good enough. The midfield will feel like it has a point to prove against one of the game's best onball groups.

How Collingwood wins: By blowing its opponents away early once again. Collingwood had 10 more scoring shots than Port Adelaide in the first quarter alone on Friday night. Doing that to a dispirited Blues team will put the Pies on their way to victory.

The stat: Scott Pendlebury has won more Brownlow votes against Carlton (21) than any other side. He got three more the last time they met.

The match-up: Harry McKay v Darcy Moore
Moore has conquered some of the game's best forwards this season and faces one of the game's most promising youngsters on Saturday. McKay has proved himself as one of the League's best contested marks and will need to be at his best to clunk a few this weekend.

Jacob Weitering is set for a busy Saturday against the Collingwood forward line. Picture: AFL Photos
weiteringpreview.jpg

It's a big week for: Jacob Weitering (Carlton)
With fellow key defender Liam Jones likely to be unavailable due to concussion, the pressure will ramp up on Weitering down back. He's set to take on one of the game's most versatile and dangerous forwards in Jordan De Goey.

Big call: It gets ugly for Carlton.

Prediction: Collingwood by 60 points

Source: AFL Website

Pies by 53.
De Goey to have 30 in the middle. WHE will bag 5. Too good for the blues today

If Collingwood are on for this one there's a big chance this will blow right out to a 15+ goal loss for Carlton, if so Brendon Bolton could be in for a mid week sacking.

If Collingwood are on for this one there's a big chance this will blow right out to a 15+ goal loss for Carlton, if so Brendon Bolton could be in for a mid week sacking.
Had a pretty good record against them under Bolton

They should be too good, but I'm not expecting a thumping

In no way is that even remotely true
Last years Grand Finalists who were stiff not to win the Flag up against the Wooden Spooners.

What margin do you think seperates these 2 teams out of curiosity?

Last years Grand Finalists who were stiff not to win the Flag up against the Wooden Spooners.

If you take the North game as an aberration (we hope) and imagine we're playing Collingwood off our performances against WB and Hawthorn, we'd be expecting to push them all the day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just disagree entirely with the premise that any team that gets flogged can somehow be a winner.

If Carlton can control the game for 5-10 mins in 2 or 3 quarters or stick with the pies for 3 quarters before falling away in the last I can see how Carlton fans may be happy with that effort, quarter or section of the match.

What i dont subscribe to is that we can put a margin on it (and this case a large margin) and try to suggest that Carlton only have to keep it within that margin and everything is gravy.

Surely not.

Imagine Collingwood controlling the game from minute one, get the margin out to 80 at 3 qtr time and then take the foot off and Carlton kick 4 goals in junk time to lose by 56? You happy with that as a Blues fan? Surely there is more pride than that.

Oh and for what it's worth, the bookies have the line in the high 30s, nowhere near 10 goals.

I just disagree entirely with the premise that any team that gets flogged can somehow be a winner.

If Carlton can control the game for 5-10 mins in 2 or 3 quarters or stick with the pies for 3 quarters before falling away in the last I can see how Carlton fans may be happy with that effort, quarter or section of the match.

What i dont subscribe to is that we can put a margin on it (and this case a large margin) and try to suggest that Carlton only have to keep it within that margin and everything is gravy.

Surely not.

Imagine Collingwood controlling the game from minute one, get the margin out to 80 at 3 qtr time and then take the foot off and Carlton kick 4 goals in junk time to lose by 56? You happy with that as a Blues fan? Surely there is more pride than that.

Oh and for what it's worth, the bookies have the line in the high 30s, nowhere near 10 goals.

Lots of " If's " / " Buts " and " Imagines "but you never really answered my question.

Blues will park the 103 bus from sunshine in the pies half all game so I fully expect the game to be close .. bolts can't afford a blow out

Lots of " If's " / " Buts " and " Imagines "but you never really answered my question.

Oh I see, you butted into a comment thread but didn't actually want to discuss what I was replying to or my thoughts on the matter you just wanted my prediction?

I don't have one, nor do i need to provide one since that isnt the point of my comment.

Not quite sure where the confidence comes from for those predicting a massive belting. This game will be a lot closer than people think.

The gap between the competition’s best and worst isn’t what it used to be and Carlton will come out breathing fire against a traditional rival after being embarrassed last weekend.

Not quite sure where the confidence comes from for those predicting a massive belting. This game will be a lot closer than people think.

The gap between the competition’s best and worst isn’t what it used to be and Carlton will come out breathing fire against a traditional rival after being embarrassed last weekend.
Mate, you’ll flog them and potentially end Bolton’s coaching career.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL 2019 Round 8: Carlton v Collingwood, 1:45pm AEST, MCG

Back