Autopsy AFL 2024 Round 17 - Pies v Bombers Fri July 5th 7:40pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Bombers by a goal or less

Votes: 6 8.1%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 23 31.1%
  • Bombers by 7 - 20

Votes: 10 13.5%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • Bombers by a lot

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 7 9.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Throw in Mcstay who is almost ready to return, Tom Mitchell and Big Bad Coxy another best 23 player and you can see we are missing a third of our best 23 and have been for the past 6 weeks.
Not sure I'd be getting too excited about any of them returning but you do you

Not sure I'd be getting too excited about any of them returning but you do you
Why? All of them played huge roles in our final series last year. Mitchell got third best on the ground in the grand final. Cox is a crucial cog in our machine and Mcstay straightens us up beautifully. When I read some of the outs Carlton fans whine about, I find your assessment of our boys laughable. They are all clearly best 22.

Why? All of them played huge roles in our final series last year. Mitchell got third best on the ground in the grand final. Cox is a crucial cog in our machine and Mcstay straightens us up beautifully. When I read some of the outs Carlton fans whine about, I find your assessment of our boys laughable. They are all clearly best 22.
Cox and Mcstay would be close to the worst KPFs in the comp and Mitchell was borderline best 22 even when he was fit this year. His best days are well behind him.

Now you know how we felt like when Collingwood supporters laughed at us when we mentioned Saad, McGovern and Fogarty were out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon are on the brink of another collapse. Lose tonight and it's a free fall out of the 8.

I just don't think we'll win this one unfortunately. We've been terrible in 4th quarters the last couple of weeks and Collingwood are one of the best 4th quarter team.

Everything is down to how efficient our forwardline is because we'll win enough of the ball and territory.

But dons have the most to lose if they don't come away with the W.

How so? We're not defending premiers. We were predicted for the spoon by many in the pre-season. We had nothing to lose going into this season. The team demographic selected this week to play the Pies is near identical to West Coast's,

Average age and games played of selected 23:

Essendon: 25.4
West Coast: 25.3

Essendon: 108.3
West Coast: 105.3

It's only through results so far that Essendon is being held up to a different standard. Our ambition going into this year wasn't to contend and it still isn't. It's to develop and progress from last year. That hasn't changed. Collingwood, who's demographics clearly illustrate, are in a different ballpark with a much more immediate ambition.

Last edited:
Cox and Mcstay would be close to the worst KPFs in the comp and Mitchell was borderline best 22 even when he was fit this year. His best days are well behind him.
You have no idea. Cox is primarily a ruckman who goes forward. He was a crucial element in our final series. McStay was the key forward who created the most scoring opportunities in the comp right up until he injured himself in the prelim.

You clearly don't follow the footy. You would understand just what a huge loss it is to be missing Cox and Mcstay.

How so? We're not defending premiers. We were predicted for the spoon by many in the pre-season. The team demographic selected this week to play the Pies is near identical to West Coast's,

Average age and games played of selected 23:

Essendon: 25.4
West Coast: 25.3

Essendon: 108.3
West Coast: 105.3

It's only through results so far that Essendon is being held up to a different standard. Our ambition going into this year wasn't to contend and it still isn't. It's to develop and progress from last year. That hasn't changed. Collingwood, who's demographics clearly illustrate, are in a different ballpark with a much more immediate ambition.
Because of what happened last year. You don't wanna slide out of the 8 from the position you're currently in. A repeat of 2023 would be disastrous.

Because of what happened last year. You don't wanna slide out of the 8 from the position you're currently in. A repeat of 2023 would be disastrous.

We went into this season expecting to keep developing, we didn't expect to contend for a flag like Collingwood did. If we drop away it is part of what comes with a developing side. This is not our final form.

You have no idea. Cox is primarily a ruckman who goes forward. He was a crucial element in our final series. McStay was the key forward who created the most scoring opportunities in the comp right up until he injured himself in the prelim.

You clearly don't follow the footy. You would understand just what a huge loss it is to be missing Cox and Mcstay.
How all Pies fans view their spuds.
flexing delusions of grandeur GIF

Cox and McSpud :tearsofjoy:

I am not sure where your comparison is coming from?

Pendles alone nearly matches those two.

Not sure if trolling, but I'll bite. You can't just take out players from one side and leave the other, which is what you were doing. However, I did the math for you,

Average age and games played of Essendon and Collingwood without Pendles/Steele and Stringer/Shiel:

Essendon: 24.9 - 98.8
Collingwood: 26.1 - 105.0

Average age and games played of Essendon and West Coast when excluding Darling/Cripps and Stringer/Shiel:

Essendon: 24.9 - 98.8
West Coast: 24.9 - 88.9

Last edited:
Back