Autopsy AFL 2024 Second Qualifying Final - Port v Cats Thurs Sept 5th 7:40pm EST/7:10pm CST (AO) - Teams up

Who will win and by how much?

• Port by a goal or less

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 79 42.0%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 44 23.4%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 49 26.1%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

IMG_6171.png
2nd v 3rd

AFL 2024 PREMIERSHIP SEASON
SECOND QUALIFYING FINAL
PORT ADELAIDE V GEELONG
THURSDAY SEPTEMBER 5TH 7:40PM EST/7:10 CST (ADELAIDE OVAL)

Live scores on BigFooty during the match.

TIPPING ON BIGFOOTY

CLICK HERE :arrowright: TIP IN BIGFOOTY TIPPING
$1000 total prize money!
$500 first place and a spiffy medal
$300 second place
$200 third place

Weekly Prize:
:arrowright: Best score each round wins a year's Premium Platinum membership!

Tipping proudly sponsored by
The Golden Ticket

Medallion Club tickets at the MCG and Marvel
Corporate Box tickets at the MCG and Marvel
AFL Finals Tickets

Optus Stadium open air box tickets

Adelaide Oval Stadium Club tickets

Heritage Bank Stadium Lounge tickets

GABBA Open Air Corporate Boxes

Teams:

POWER

B: La. Jones, B. Zerk-Thatcher, M. Bergman
HB: R. Burton, A. Aliir, L. Evans
C: J. Burgoyne, O. Wines, W. Drew
HF: D. Byrne-Jones, E. Ratugolea, W. Rioli
F: M. Georgiades, C. Dixon, C. Rozee - C
FOLL: J. Sweet, J. Horne-Francis, Z. Butters

I/C: T. Boak, Q. Narkle, J. Mead, F. Evans, J. McEntee
EMG: J. Sinn, D. Visentini, T. Marshall

IN: C. Dixon, Q. Narkle
OUT: K. Farrell (Injured), D. Visentini (Omitted)

CATS

B: L. Humphries, J. Henry, J. Kolodjashnij
HB: M. Duncan, M. Blicavs, Z. Guthrie
C: M. Holmes, T. Atkins, O. Dempsey
HF: T. Stengle, S. Neale, S. Mannagh
F: B. Close, J. Cameron, O. Henry
FOLL: R. Stanley, P. Dangerfield - C, T. Stewart

I/C: Z. Tuohy, J. Bowes, G. Miers, T. Bruhn, J. Bews
EMG: G. Rohan, O. Mullin, S. De Koning

No changes

:arrowdown: Links to the Club Board tipping comps :arrowdown:

finals-fixture-image-FW1-2024.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
4th QF meeting since 2004. Bizarre.
For this match up each team has a 100% finals win rate at its home ground (I use the term liberally for Geelong of course). Port are 3-0 in SA finals, Geelong are 2-0 in Victorian finals.

I'd give us a good chance at the G but I think at AO they'll swarm us and win by 6 goals in the end.

Hoping I'm wrong.

North and Hawthorn from '74-78 played an amazing 10 finals against each other, three QF's, two 2nd Semis, two PF's and and three GF's.

But yep, starting to now accumulate quite a few meetings against Port now, the seventh in 21 seasons. And a bit of a paradox for both sets of fans, as it's against Geelong where Port has won it's only recent finals under Hinkley. Being at Adelaide Oval this time as well, you'd have to say that they would be favoured again to come home with the chokkies. The earlier game at KP this year saw Port play imperious footy for half a game, leading by over eight goals before a late Cat flurry, for Geelong it will be imperative for players like JHF and especially Rioli who seems to LOVE playing the Cats to be watched closely. And the unheralded Visentin rucking last time seemed to channel his inner peak Dean Cox, although hopefully for Geelong Rhys Stanley (now having seen what he did that night) will be ready for him.

The pressure may be more on Port than Geelong, although both clubs face a very in-form Hawks or Dogs if they drop this match. Straight sets could be on the cards for the loser here. Chris Scott, with his recent 2022 Flag may be the coach with a little more leeway if the Cats are beaten, Port's fans will be savage if Hinkley has another unfulfilled finals campaign.

Just checked AFL tables and Port's only double chance QF win that wasn't against Geelong was in 2007. They have played in several over their time, but it's one final they have a sketchy record in....mind you against anyone else but Geelong, whom they have a 100% record against in this particular final!

One thing that sticks in my mind. Port could have manufactured a small loss to still finish 2nd and knock Carlton out..... they didn't.

That shows ruthlessness in my mind. That's scary for the cats.
Yes, that display against Freo was ruthless.....

Port deserve to start favourites, and we're their bunnies over there in finals too. But I would not call their win over Freo ruthless, it was nothing close to it. Took until 10min to go before they shook them.

Looking forward to it, we've got some cracking finals in week 1.

One thing that sticks in my mind. Port could have manufactured a small loss to still finish 2nd and knock Carlton out..... they didn't.

Agree, The ruthlessness in me says that where you get the chance, you knock out the better team.

Fremantle a much bigger finals threat than Carlton. Keeping Carlton in is good for the other 7 teams.

Massive implications for the loser, they’ll get Hawthorn or the WB in a semi. For Port it’ll be at home but Geelong play at the G most likely which evens it right up. Honestly, I am not convinced by Geelong this year. I think Port win and probably go on to a GF.

Geelong need to match Port in the middle ( easier said than done). If they do their small forwards and Cameron can cause some problems.. It's probably the only way they can win...

Point taken but no good coach messes with form. They’ve won 7 out of 8 going into the match with Freo, you don’t tamper with that.

Geelong’s forward line is first rate but I look at the midfield matchups in this one and just don’t see how they can get enough supply. They do have a decent record at Adelaide Oval though from memory.

Another fascinating game in a finals round that is chock full of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port are a very good side, underestimate them at your own peril. With the parochial SA crowd behind them it will take something above & beyond for the Cats to win over there.

Port are a very good side, underestimate them at your own peril. With the parochial SA crowd behind them it will take something above & beyond for the Cats to win over there.

Yep, but we gave them sighters in 2020 & 2021, so they should come better prepared this time around.

Didn't Wines say after the game they weren't told of the Saints/Carlton result prior? They figured it out by the Freo fans reactions. Plus you're flirting with form to try and manufacture results, they would have wanted to play well and carry some momentum into the next game.

Also why would they particularly care about Carlton not making it?

The road to a contract extension for Kenny begins on 5 September.

This is the Kenny benefit game from Geelong. We have given him an armchair ride to 2 prelims already.

I don't think Port have a lot at either end of the ground but their midfield is going to murder us and that will probably be enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Second Qualifying Final - Port v Cats Thurs Sept 5th 7:40pm EST/7:10pm CST (AO) - Teams up

Back