Autopsy AFL 2024 Second Qualifying Final - Port v Cats Thurs Sept 5th 7:40pm EST/7:10pm CST (AO) - Teams up

Who will win and by how much?

• Port by a goal or less

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Port by 7 - 20

Votes: 79 42.0%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 44 23.4%
  • Port by a lot

Votes: 49 26.1%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I love this time of year. The definition of choking gets rewritten by all and sundry about 50,000 times a week. It’s 10 days out from game time and already a hypothetical defeat to the team that finished second by the side that finished one spot behind them is being labelled a choke.
Its only considered a choke if you go out in straight sets or you are the clear cut favorite. Geelong has the 2022 flag in the books.. so losing to port wont be a choke.. if port lose, well.. it would be a massive choke as they are the flag favs

Its only considered a choke if you go out in straight sets or you are the clear cut favorite. Geelong has the 2022 flag in the books.. so losing to port wont be a choke.. if port lose, well.. it would be a massive choke as they are the flag favs
No, if Port lose it's a choke because you go for Adelaide. :tearsofjoy:

Last time we played our mids got smashed, but this time we will have better players in there. Still, I don't think they'll be a match for Port's.

As others have said Geelong aren't a four quarter team this year, and I think that's what we'll see come Thursday week. I'll be happy to see 2 or 3 good quarters from the younger cats, it will be good experience for them.

By definition even then it’s not necessarily always true.

A choke by nature is when all you have to do is turn up, play to something approximating your normal level, and you’ll win no matter what, but you bottle it because of pressure and a mental disintegration.

Hell you don’t even have to be a higher ranked opponent, you just have to be in a position where you are supposed to win if you just tick the boxes and do what you’re supposed to do: Greg Norman at Augusta, Jana Novotna at Wimbledon etc.
it got lost amidst Nathan Cleary’s masterclass last year but the Broncos managed it in the NRL grand final with some of the mistakes they made.

Last time we played our mids got smashed, but this time we will have better players in there. Still, I don't think they'll be a match for Port's.

As others have said Geelong aren't a four quarter team this year, and I think that's what we'll see come Thursday week. I'll be happy to see 2 or 3 good quarters from the younger cats, it will be good experience for them.
I hope you guys put work into JHF.. try get under his skin..

I just hope we don't beat ourselves like the last 2 QF against Port.

In 2020 we kicked 5.12. Completely kicked ourselves out of it despite controlling a lot of the game.

In 2021 Henderson had probably the worst game in AFL history gifting Port 4-5 goals through absolute howlers. Danger jumped in with a couple himself. And that was the game.

Port are probably too good for us especially through midfield but I just hope we turn up and give a decent performance unlike 2020-21.

Agreed, I think you're too busy focusing on making your own destiny to dare try and meddle in creating one for another team.
Port were banged up with no Finlayson, Dixon or Marshall in the forward line.
Where Dixon and maybe Marshall will be ins for their next game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flag favs despite two teams having lower odds with the bookies.

Let's run an over/under for total disposals from Butters, JHF, Rozee, Drew and Wines. I know Port aren't a mega high disposal team but Geelong give up a LOT of disposals to opposition midfielders.

I'm setting the line at 145 disposals for that group (27 above their combined season averages). I still think the over is in with a shout.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy AFL 2024 Second Qualifying Final - Port v Cats Thurs Sept 5th 7:40pm EST/7:10pm CST (AO) - Teams up

Back