AFL at Adelaide Oval - it will never happen (Part 5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
good to see you open to changing your mind in light of new facts jo172 (sorry i'm just a lurker mostly who's been following this thread with interest)

that email should be pretty encouraging to most SACA members IMO

A big fat NO for me. I would prefer my hard earned tax dollars get spent on hospitals and increasing the salary of our poorly paid police officers.

This argument continues to get raised but no matter how much money you throw at the hospital system it just sucks it up and wants more. You could throw $1b at the hospital tomorrow and before you know it it will be gone.

Now the police on the other hand are a different story and should be looked after with more on the beat etc.

This argument continues to get raised but no matter how much money you throw at the hospital system it just sucks it up and wants more. You could throw $1b at the hospital tomorrow and before you know it it will be gone.

Wasn't scrapping the Le Mans meant to improve hospitals - that was 10 years ago!

The 'Will somebody please think of the hospitals' always come up when a government-backed building project gets proposed :rolleyes:

Re: !!!

Starting to lean yes, if this is reproduced in materials (hopefully with better spelling and grammar) will probably not vote no.

The Shield Final thing still sets off alarm bells in my cynical head and I still think drop in pitches make for shit cricket.

Encouraging nonetheless.

Mate you have to let the drop in wicket thing go. By what your saying Adelaide Oval for he last 30 years has produced outstanding wickets making for great cricket. Well the reality is that couldn't be further from the truth. Pretty much the wickets have been low and slow and pretty much dead after day 1. It turns a bit, but even spinners struggle because of the lack of bounce.

The MCG which has a drop in wicket has been a far bouncier pitch over recent years which has allowed both bat and ball to excel.

Low and slow wickets produce shithouse cricketers where two bit all rounders succeed because they keep the good ones out and bowl stump to stump. It's part of the reason why this state hasn't produced any locally grown test cricketers for a number of years.

A big fat NO for me. I would prefer my hard earned tax dollars get spent on hospitals and increasing the salary of our poorly paid police officers.

Last time i looked we were getting a new hospital built in the city and Flinders is being upgraded. I had the misfortune of needing the emergency at Flinders during the week and the care and speed of the care really makes me wonder if all the knockers of the hospital system have experienced first hand the excellent system we have. Our son has needed emergency care many times over the years and we have never had one complaint and that also goes for others we have talked to whilst there.

Whilst a good health care system is important this knocker attitude is what has seen many developments not get of the ground and Adelaide will end up not only being the state still in the 1980's but we will end up being in the 1880's in comparison to other cities. The rejuvination of the city is desparately needed and whilst I was all in favour of a brand new stadium I realise this will not happen and the upgrading of AO is the best option. The fact this decision is in the hands of a small minority of cricket followers (a game I also have always enjoyed and would enjoy more with an upgraded oval) is a scary thing and I hope the Govt just push this through if this small minority of people say no to this much needed city upgrade.

You do realize that the liberals were proposing a brand new stadium, costing twice/three times as much?

Estimated Cost so far $535 million

Twice that amount $1.07 billion.
Three times that amount $1.605 billion

Just for the record as well
Cowboys Stadium $1.3 billion (US)
New Meadowlands Stadium $1.6 billion (US)
Clearly the plans outlined by the Liberal party were not for stadiums of this calibre.

So where did you pull figures of two/three times as much?

Estimated Cost so far $535 million

Twice that amount $1.07 billion.
Three times that amount $1.605 billion

Just for the record as well
Cowboys Stadium $1.3 billion (US)
New Meadowlands Stadium $1.6 billion (US)
Clearly the plans outlined by the Liberal party were not for stadiums of this calibre.

So where did you pull figures of two/three times as much?

Have you looked up the playing surface size of a NFL stadium compared to a normal AFL ground?

You'd be surprised.

An AFL ground is so much larger that straight cost comparisons to NFL stadiums could be apples and oranges.

Also, $535m includes the $85m going straight to the SACA.

It's part of the reason why this state hasn't produced any locally grown test cricketers for a number of years.

No, the reason this state has not produced any locally grown test cricketers in years is because we have a poor grade system that dilutes our already small talent pool, issues with nepotism, and a shift towards recycled imports that is both a symptom and a cause. Nothing at all to do with the AO pitch, which makes it as connected to reality as your description of it in recent years.

Have you looked up the playing surface size of a NFL stadium compared to a normal AFL ground?

You'd be surprised.

An AFL ground is so much larger that straight cost comparisons to NFL stadiums could be apples and oranges.

Also, $535m includes the $85m going straight to the SACA.

Relative size of playing fields aside, their "footprints" are of comparable size. I was talking about the facilities themselves and the amenities. Have you been to an American stadium? Nothing in this country comes close to what they offer.

Im not saying that we should be spending this amount, nor am I under the impression that Adelaide requires a stadium of this calibre. What I am questioning is the original posters claim of double or triple the cost.

No, the reason this state has not produced any locally grown test cricketers in years is because we have a poor grade system that dilutes our already small talent pool, issues with nepotism, and a shift towards recycled imports that is both a symptom and a cause. Nothing at all to do with the AO pitch, which makes it as connected to reality as your description of it in recent years.

I said part of the reason. Certainly not the main reason, the points you raised are valid ones.

However if you think the wicket has been a great cricket wicket then you are delusional. It is the lowest and slowest wicket in the country.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You do realize that the liberals were proposing a brand new stadium, costing twice/three times as much?

The $1 Billion plus figure was just more bullshit from the Rann machine during the election the media latched on to - you seem to forget awfully quick that the SANFL approached the Government with the plans for a fully costed new stadium with a retractable roof for $642 million.

The Liberals plan was so vague the new stadium could have been anything from this, a copy of the Docklands, or a full blown Jerry World - we will never know what they intended, or if they even really intended anything for that matter. Whatever, the argument that a new stadium would cost 2-3 times as much as the Adelaide Oval proposal should be dropped because the rejected SANFL proposal demonstrates that it's just plain wrong.

The $1 Billion plus figure was just more bullshit from the Rann machine during the election the media latched on to - you seem to forget awfully quick that the SANFL approached the Government with the plans for a fully costed new stadium with a retractable roof for $642 million.

The Liberals plan was so vague the new stadium could have been anything from this, a copy of the Docklands, or a full blown Jerry World - we will never know what they intended, or if they even really intended anything for that matter. Whatever, the argument that a new stadium would cost 2-3 times as much as the Adelaide Oval proposal should be dropped because the rejected SANFL proposal demonstrates that it's just plain wrong.

Actually around $1b would be around the mark for a fully enclosed roof stadium. I remember the SMA done a study as to see the cost for a retractable roof and they discovered that the roof alone would be around $300m. So if 2 new stands are costing $450m, add another $150m for another stand plus the roof and the $1b figure is close.

Actually we know exactly what the Liberals were proposing. Two options. both at the site where the new hospital is under construction. Option 1- an open stadium, 50,000 seats. $850m, option 2- 50,000 seats, retractable roof-900m. That is the cost of the stadium alone, and does not include associated infrastructure. It has also been pointed out that the 50m increase for a retractable roof is way below the norm. bringing into question the very costings themselves.

http://www.isobelredmond.com.au/Portals/0/20091112 Stadium.pdf

For a better indication of what a new stadium would cost Adelaide we should look at perths situation. They spent many millions at looking into a new stadium (open roof), 60,000 seats. This includes property buy outs and infrastructure. Cost....1.1b (that was over 3 years ago...would probably be closer to 1.2b in todays construction costs)

http://news.theage.com.au/national/perth-to-get-new-11-billion-stadium-20080208-1r2m.html

why on earth these type of threads go back to the Labor v Liberal options is beyond me

we only have 1 option and 1 option alone, there isn't the liberal option, there isn't some fantasy put the money somewhere else option.

It is either upgrade AO or nothing, what is so difficult about that? why do people need to try and blur the clear and basic proposition.

like the development or not, this is the one being proposed

With the new RAH now committed to, flood damage in QLD to pay for and a seemingly very tight State Govt budget I don't think a NO vote for the AO is a YES vote for a new CBD stadium anytime soon (ie, next 10 years at least).

If there's that long to wait then how much will AAMI stadium will need spent on it in that time and is that just as much of a waste (if you think the AO redevelopment is a waste)?

I think some SACA members still think a new $1b stadium to be used for 7 months of the year is only one election anyway. Not many, but some based on what I have read around the place.

Just realised how good it will be to actually have a "home" stadium.

We can go and watch the the Adelaide Crows at Adelaide Oval.

the fact that it appears that this won't change is very appealing. A flag between then and now would be like a prodigal son returning. The place would go off.

The Adelaide Crows playing in Adelaide at the Adelaide Oval is a marketing dream.

the fact that it appears that this won't change is very appealing. A flag between then and now would be like a prodigal son returning. The place would go off.

The Adelaide Crows playing in Adelaide at the Adelaide Oval is a marketing dream.

And to think the PAPS complain that Footy Park is too AFC branded :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back