Preview AFL Rd 11 - Collingwood v Melbourne - MCG Mon 10/6/13 - 3.20 pm - Changes and Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I think with Paines form in the magoos he is in line for a recall to the seniors. Buckley has stated that his ideal structure is a three tall forward line. He has also stated that Paine needs to lift his defensive game. I didn't see the VFL game (followed the live chat) but many people rated Paines defensive performance. And he keeps hitting the scoreboard. I think that means Paine comes in for a small this week with Q-Stick alternating ruck and forward.
After watching the game I can't fully agree with that. He was a little better than what I've seen in the past and has serious talent to burn as a KPF but his defensive efforts are still a long way short of what Bucks is looking for. To me it looks like he's comfortable with showing his marking and kicking skills to sell himself when the reality is that unless he learns to work a lot harder, he will be a liability in the seniors. That said, I'm sure Bucks is itching to get this kid in and who knows if he'll pull the trigger this week but you can be sure he will be telling him that if he wants to keep a spot he has plenty of work to do.

Broomhead is another week away I reckon but Oxley on the other hand can be a very handy 'in' this week.

Oxley would need to be promoted off the rookie list first.

And by my calculations we don't have any LTI promotions left (LTI = Daisy, Fas, Toovs; Promoted = Dwyer, Martin, Mooney)

But we do get an opening for a promotion midseason (after the Melbourne game)

Be interesting this week to see if a couple of boys get there chance this week, namely Paine and Oxley. I get the feeling that bucks is keen to see the Ox at AFL level and with Paine, bucks will be keen to see if he has improved his game sufficiently to play at AFL level. Also does Jolly play or do we put him in cotton wool and get him ready for part 2 of the season. In saying that l can see -

Ins: Cloke, Oxley, Hudson
Out: Maxwell (inj/sore), Clarke, Lynch

No need to play Jolly vs Melb let Witts have a full game vs them GWS and GC imo.

GCS is not an easy game anymore, they need to be treated with respect these days.

Great opportunity to blood both Witts and Paine. Give either Lynch or Jolly a weeks rest, probably Jolly. Cloke clearly isnt injured or our emergency would have been Paine instead of Clarke so let's assume he will be back.

Dwyer back in for Clarke and keep rotating the subs between the smalls. Be interesting to see if Dids has a full game in him.

Based on Friday night, I don't think Reid can play up forward. His leading is woeful, to the point he looks like he is still injured. Can't sprint and lopes along, and I doubt that will get goals against good teams. Maybe he could do with a few weeks off when Keefe is fully fit, just to get rid of any niggles.

Maybe he could do with a few weeks off when Keefe is fully fit, just to get rid of any niggles.

Keefe won't be fully fit until a handful of games in the reserves if not more. Has been out of the game for over a year and has only played the one (two?) games back now.

GCS is not an easy game anymore, they need to be treated with respect these days.
agreed GCS played 3 good qrt's against geelong.. and then fell away defs have to show a bit of respect

INs: paine, cloke
Out: maxwell(inj) clarke..

not sure what everyone is going on about with blair.. i think he is very important ... very hard at it would have thought he is one of the first picked..

In: Dwyer, Cloke, Russell, Witts
Out: Lynch (please, stop this shit now), Maxwell (inj), Clarke, Blair (needs a run in the VFL to boost confidence)

Martin, Kennedy and Thomas must play as they get a chance to show what they can do against a weak opposition.

I'd love to see Paine come in but with Maxwell out we need to bring someone in to replace him, and Russell (if fit) is the most obvious replacement, unless Goldy is right to go.

Oxley would need to be promoted off the rookie list first.

And by my calculations we don't have any LTI promotions left (LTI = Daisy, Fas, Toovs; Promoted = Dwyer, Martin, Mooney)

But we do get an opening for a promotion midseason (after the Melbourne game)

Pretty sure Mooney was upgraded for Ramsy who was put on the LTI for his wrist (he was upgraded before Fas & Daisy did their injuries)

Pretty sure as it stands:

Dwyer upgraded for Toovey
Mooney upgraded for Ramsey
Martin upgraded for Fasolo
No one upgraded for Daisy.

We should still have one spot left for an upgrade if needed. It's also useful knowing who each has been upgraded for as that effect who goes back on the rookie list. For example when Ramsey comes back in a couple of weeks, it will be Mooney who goes back regardless as it was Mooney who was upgraded for Ramsey (hope that makes sense).

hmm. good opportunity to continue to back the youngsters I reckon.

Cloke should come back in for Clarke.

reckon Lynch has been ok, not great, not awful, had a poor game vs Lions, given that Witts was BOG and Lynch was off, maybe they get to swap and Lynch can bust some heads at VFL level for a week and Witts can get another shot at forward/ruck at AFL level.

so...

IN:
Cloke
Witts

OUT:
Clarke
Lynch

If Dwyer, Goldsack, Russell etc are fit then bring them in via VFL. I don't see why any of them should come straight in, kennedy and Martin both kicked multiple goals, most others played their roles, these guys aren't superstars that should get rushed back to seniors, let them earn a spot.

Also has the effect of minimising changes to a winning AFL side AND strengthening our VFL side no end... Could be as early as nest weekend we line up like:

AFL:
FB: Shaw Brown Maxwell
HB: O'Brien Reid Seedsman

C: Martin Swan Sidebottom

HF: Kennedy Witts Blair
FF: Krakouer Cloke Elliot

R: Jolly Ball Pendles

INT:
Macaffer
Williams
J.Thomas

SUB:
Didak

VFL:
FB: Hartley Gault Richmond
HB: Sinclair Keeffe Yagmoor

C: Oxley Broomhead Young

HF: Dwyer Lynch Goldsack
FF: Mooney Paine Grundy

R: Hudson Clarke Russell

INJ:
Johnson
Beams
Ramsay
Frost

LTI:
D.Thomas
Fasolo
Toovey

Love that center line in the VFl, and the forward 6 they would be kicking to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: Lynch (please, stop this shit now), Maxwell (inj), Clarke, Blair (needs a run in the VFL to boost confidence)

Martin, Kennedy and Thomas must play as they get a chance to show what they can do against a weak opposition.

I'd love to see Paine come in but with Maxwell out we need to bring someone in to replace him, and Russell (if fit) is the most obvious replacement, unless Goldy is right to go.
Would Reid just go back to cover maxwell?

Wow Matthew Lloyd is a tool. He basically just said on the Sunday Footy Show that the players tried to get the ball to Didak on Friday at the expense of winning by a higher margin. o_O

Mentioned how there is a big power struggle between Buckley and "the rat pack", and read way too much into Swan's comments after the game.

Would Reid just go back to cover maxwell?
Nah, Reid will have to take on of the two Melbourne talls (Dawes or Howe), I'm more talking about half backs and with no Goldy, Daisy or Tooves we need Russell unfortunately, especially if Clarke is dropped.

Wow Matthew Lloyd is a tool. He basically just said on the Sunday Footy Show that the players tried to get the ball to Didak on Friday at the expense of winning by a higher margin. o_O

I wouldn't be surprised at this honestly. There were a few times when Shaw, Swan and Didak were passing it around as they cleared the D50.

Then again, if it was in the D50, means they're working hard both ways and that we weren't in a position to score anyway.

Wouldn't give much credence to a "power struggle" or any of that nonsense. Probably Dids, Heater and Swan aren't too happy but Swan doesn't really give a shit anyway, Dids will be eager to play some good footy knowing that is' probably his last year and Heater will come into line once he mates get into good form. Johnno might be considered part of the "rat pack", but he's always had a good attitude on and off the field.

Nah, Reid will have to take on of the two Melbourne talls (Dawes or Howe), I'm more talking about half backs and with no Goldy, Daisy or Tooves we need Russell unfortunately, especially if Clarke is dropped.

Howe is an Andrew Walker type of player. Tall half forward flanker, but versatile enough to be played in the back half (which is what AW is doing now) or on the wing. Reid/Brown would not be good match ups. I'd say Russell is the best match up, though Goldsack would be perfect if he was fit. I just hope Maxwell doesn't go to him.

Mentioned how there is a big power struggle between Buckley and "the rat pack", and read way too much into Swan's comments after the game.

Do you even watch those Morons on that Show. Just have to see the Hutchy and The Ambulance Chaser Damien Barrett is on that show that would Destroy the Reputation of the Show;)

Agree 100% to Drop Lynch as he is just Holding the Side Back. Doing nothing at all for the AFL Side

I hope we win this one as I'll coming to melb to see my mummy and daddy.....with my luck the AFL will merge melbourne with hawthorn this week and we'll be playing the hawks..

What did Swan say?

After watching the game I can't fully agree with that. He was a little better than what I've seen in the past and has serious talent to burn as a KPF but his defensive efforts are still a long way short of what Bucks is looking for. To me it looks like he's comfortable with showing his marking and kicking skills to sell himself when the reality is that unless he learns to work a lot harder, he will be a liability in the seniors. That said, I'm sure Bucks is itching to get this kid in and who knows if he'll pull the trigger this week but you can be sure he will be telling him that if he wants to keep a spot he has plenty of work to do.
Were you at the ground or watched on TV? The reason I ask is that I was there & to me he worked his backside off, in the conditions against quality opponent I thought he played a pretty complete game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview AFL Rd 11 - Collingwood v Melbourne - MCG Mon 10/6/13 - 3.20 pm - Changes and Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back