AFL Round 11: Hawthorn v Port Adelaide Saturday 2:10pm AEST @UTAS

Remove this Banner Ad

Those 50s were hilarious and the roughead goal and the deibrete point?

Wtf? If be livid if i was a port fan. It was insane. Free kick hawthorn was in full effect whats the deal with this?
Its pretty obvious

What does my point have anything to do with Richmond?

Are you dense? You laughed at Port for thinking they were GF contenders. Richmond as the reigning premiers are the benchmark for grand final contender's so I compared Hawthorn's performance against Port vs our performance against Richmond as a way of pointing out that Port might not be as massively far of it as their ladder positions suggests given how little difference there is between 1st place and 10th right now. Is that clear enough for you, or would you like to be drawn a picture?

Hawthorn have beaten 3 teams currently in the 8 (including thumping a current top 4 side), and lost to other 3 of the current top 4 by 15 points, 13 points and 8 points. We've had 2 bad games for the year, but our back half of the season is much easier than our front half (on paper - with a bunch of bottom 12 teams in our second half draw). Losing to Hawthorn is no shame, and Port could still find themselves in the mix at the end of the season, as may well Hawthorn.

Last edited:

Wtf? If be livid if i was a port fan. It was insane. Free kick hawthorn was in full effect whats the deal with this?
Its pretty obvious
The Roughy free was 50/50 but the rushed point is deliberate as you will ever see. I’d like to see umps pay it more often.
Port scored its last goal from a “mark” paid to Gray when I reckon Dixon had plenty of purchase on it first

Are you dense? You laughed at Port for thinking they were GF contenders. Richmond as the reigning premiers are the benchmark for grand final contender's so I compared Hawthorn's performance against Port vs our performance against Richmond as a way of pointing out that Port might not be as massively far of it as their ladder positions suggests given how little difference there is between 1st place and 10th right now. Is that clear enough for you, or would you like to be drawn a picture?

Hawthorn have beaten 3 teams currently in the 8 (including thumping the current 3rd placed side), and lost to other 3 of the current top 4 by 15 points, 13 points and 8 points. We've had 2 bad games for the year, but our back half of the season is much easier than our front half (on paper - with a bunch of bottom 12 teams in our second half draw). Losing to Hawthorn is no shame, and Port could still find themselves in the mix at the end of the season, as may well Hawthorn.

I understood your point perfectly. In reality while Port will probably make the 8 they aren't legitimate flag contenders and bringing up one game as supporting evidence to say they are is dust in the wind.

On a side note, opening your posts with things like "are you dense" is usually a surefire way to paint the rest of your post in a bad light.

When will Matt Nichols get his rightful recognition for all his efforts in getting the Hawks over the line time and again in close games?

Pot kettle black. Go look at the Hawks vs Geelong game in Round 2 this year to see how Razor Ray loves Dangerfield, Selwood etc.

Its pretty obvious

Hawthorn too good. Check the stats newbie. Are you celebrating St Kilda having another first round draft pick? :$

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol we put the que in the rack after being up by 8 goals. Settle pettle, we knew we had the 4 points as yoou were a fairly easy kill.

Port got shafted by the umps today

Yet Richmond are known for big fourth quarters this year. But you’d know your cue was in the rack for nearly 40 years, hawks must have had a squillion flags in between your last two

I thought the deliberate was harsh until I saw the replay, clearly just slapped it over the line with noone putting direct pressure on him. Brave to call it at that stage in the game.
Dunno.
He tried to control the ball but was about to hit the post and had no other options available to kill the play. Deliberate is when you do have other options available but deliberately knock it over for a point.
Being a Hawthorn supporter you should remember the game that forced the AFL to introduce the rule.

I thought the deliberate was harsh until I saw the replay, clearly just slapped it over the line with noone putting direct pressure on him. Brave to call it at that stage in the game.

There in lies the point. Late in the game Hawks kept on getting 50/50 free kicks. When its the last roll of the dice for us we got nothing. One of your players 'accidently' kicked the ball twice to have it travel straight across the boundary line where you gained no territory and with no hawks player near the ball, no deliberate. It is not just about the ones that are paid but the ones that are not. Hawks get 'soft but there' free kicks, then on our last chance Westhoff gets bumped out of a marking contest and does a superman dive for nothing. There were 11 50m penalties paid (not sure if it was 9:2 but we didn't get many more than that), and Sicily quite blatantly knocked the ball out of Wingard's hand for nothing. We got pinged repeatedly for going over the mark with no warning and Makevoy got warned 3 times to get back. The umpiring in the 1st quarter was bad both ways with us with our noses in front, then we got fisted from then on. No consistency whatsoever. I might add we got fisted by an ump with a long history of fisting us.

I understood your point perfectly.

Then why did you respond with "What does my point have anything to do with Richmond?"? I'm sorry if I jumped to conclusions , but it seemed not understanding how Richmond might be related to a post on grand final contenders was kind of well..dense.

Looking at the consistency of teams in the 8 right now, I think anyone inside the 8 at season's end could win the flag, so if Port can make the 8 they can still contend if they peak at the right time.

Last edited:

Its pretty obvious

Haha. There were about 20-30 howlers today and you picked two that were more obvious than most...

I get the feeling you only tuned in for the last 10 minutes...

Dunno.
He tried to control the ball but was about to hit the post and had no other options available to kill the play. Deliberate is when you do have other options available but deliberately knock it over for a point.
Being a Hawthorn supporter you should remember the game that forced the AFL to introduce the rule.

Joel Bowden played for Richmond

Dunno.

Yes he did. The hawks player was a good 10 metres away. He had plenty of time to pick it up.

I feel for the guy (was it Hombsch?), he dropped a soda and in the ensuing panic he thought he was under far more pressure than he was. He was clearly pissed at himself too the way he slapped it across. We've all been there. He made a mistake.

It was a stonewall deliberate. Not sure why its bringing angst, Gunston sprayed it for a point anyway.

Not sure what point you are trying to make with your last sentence. Reminding a hawks fan about a premiership 10 years ago seems a weird way to back up your argument.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Round 11: Hawthorn v Port Adelaide Saturday 2:10pm AEST @UTAS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back