Preview AFL Round 17-GWS Giants vs Geelong Cats, Saturday July 25th 1.45 pm, Startrack Oval (Canberra)

Who will win Geelong or GWS?

• Geelong by 1-24 points

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • Geelong by 24-48 points

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • Geelong by 48 + points

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • GWS by 1-24 points

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • GWS by 24-28 points

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • GWS by 48 + points

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • No idea (the Fred Le Deux option)

Votes: 9 12.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big game this week against a tough opponent.

Realistically the top 5 teams on the ladder are likely to play finals and Western Bulldogs, GWS, Adelaide, Geelong, Nth Melb and Port are fighting for the last 3 spots. So we need to win the games against the teams in this group to be any chance of making finals.

Selwood will be a big in for us. Mumford is a big out for them as otherwise he would have dominated our makeshift rucks. Their quality midfield worries me. I believe they are vulnerable for key defenders and Hawkins could dominate them with good supply, but it will be a big ask to break even against their midfield.

Discuss ins and outs and the game here.

I'd go with Selwood for Stokes and Smedts for Gregson but they are more likely to go:

In: Selwood Rivers (if fit)
Out: Gregson (sore ankle) Kolo (if Rivers fit)

Our midfield looks so much better with Duncan there and hopefully Caddy can back up with another big performance even with Selwood back.

Selwood for Stokes definitely, need to bolster the midfield against a good midfield and I can't see Stokes being sub three weeks in a row.

I wouldnt be suprised to see Gregson's load lightened as sub but if he isnt fit bring Smedts in for him. I think Kersten is also under pressure but he probably keeps that spot until Menzel is ready.

If Rivers is fit I think he will come back in (and deserves to) against good KPF's but Kolo would be unlucky. I would drop Lonergan and play Rivers and Kolo but that wont happen.

Can't see them reversing their position on rucks and bringing Simpson in, it's good Mumford is out for them.

I would be happy to see Kersten return to the VFL and told to learn to lead to the ball when he is playing as a forward - yesterday it felt like he kept guarding space in the 50, and when he did move on occasions he would run/move into the space that Hawkins was leading to creating a 2-on-2 (even 2-on-1) and making things difficult for Hawkins.

I don't want to see Kolo dropped and don't think he deserves to be dropped, but for team balance not sure how Rivers returns without one of Kolo, Lonergan or Taylor being dropped - so maybe Lonergan needs a rest, but doubt it.

I would be tempted to go:
Ins: Selwood, Smedts,
Outs: Stokes/Gregson, Kersten

Not sure of a 3rd, maybe Gore who was looking good earlier this year, didn't get a lot of the ball today but 10 tackles is good intensity and something we always need at senior level.

In: Selwood, Smedts, Gore.
Outs: Gregson(inj), Stokes, Kersten.

Gotta start playing Gore. We need to find some improvement in our midfield for next year.
Especially if that rumour about Danger is true.

Nobody has spotted the mistake Pure_Ownage has made in the headline.
The game is at Startrack Oval in Canberra [Manuka Oval].

Ah yeah my bad. About 5000 fans only will probably be there either way :p

Cant disagree too much about Stokes, but he did pick up 14 possessions when he came on!

Smedts deserves a run IMO…and I have my doubts Rivers will be ready for this week…so Kolo stays…I thought his final quarter against the Doggies was very promising.

Would really like to see:

IN: Rivers, Selwood and Smedts
OUT: Kersten (omit), Stokes (omit) and Gregson (ankle/rest)

B: Bews, Lonergan, Kolodjashnij
HB: Thurlow, Rivers, Enright
C: Kelly, Caddy, Murdoch
HF: Duncan, Taylor, Selwood
F: Johnson, Hawkins, Motlop
R: Blicavs, Bartel, Guthrie

Int: Smedts, Lang, Walker
Sub: Mackie

Emg: Simpson, Stokes and Horlin-Smith

I highly doubt the Rivers back in, Taylor forward move will happen, but I reckon we should try it at some stage in the next few weeks (why not against GWS who are light on for key backs?). Really make opposition defences think twice instead of triple-teaming Hawkins all the time. Sorry, but Walker doesn't have a football brain to worry the opposition just yet, and Kersten is not a CHF. Plus, gives Kolo an extended run.

Stokes is very close to the end. I think we need to give Smedts another go on the wing after his performance today. However, we will have Thurlow, Mackie and Smedts (3 very similar players, hence Mackie sub).

And after the midfield performance from yesterday, I'd be happy to see Selwood play more on the forward flank. Might sound very silly, I know, he's a clearance king, but not having him in the centre yesterday just seemed to give us a bit more variety. Joel can kick goals, 24 last year and 30 the year before. Save his battered body and keeps their half-back occupied.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Caddy can back up with another big performance even with Selwood back.
That's his challenge, attaining that consistency we'll need from him in the future.

I would be happy to see Kersten return to the VFL and told to learn to lead to the ball when he is playing as a forward - yesterday it felt like he kept guarding space in the 50, and when he did move on occasions he would run/move into the space that Hawkins was leading to creating a 2-on-2 (even 2-on-1) and making things difficult for Hawkins.

I don't want to see Kolo dropped and don't think he deserves to be dropped, but for team balance not sure how Rivers returns without one of Kolo, Lonergan or Taylor being dropped - so maybe Lonergan needs a rest, but doubt it.

I would be tempted to go:
Ins: Selwood, Smedts,
Outs: Stokes/Gregson, Kersten

Not sure of a 3rd, maybe Gore who was looking good earlier this year, didn't get a lot of the ball today but 10 tackles is good intensity and something we always need at senior level.
So who are you playing forward. Taylor or Lonergan?

Selwood for Stokes definitely, need to bolster the midfield against a good midfield and I can't see Stokes being sub three weeks in a row.

If they are only going to keep Stokes as a sub he shouldn't be there. He's looking very slow now and not just in foot speed. I'd be bringing in Smedts in a millisecond. Plus his VFL form deserves to be rewarded (and remember we always ask that VFL players demand selection; Smedts did that).

Having watched most of the VFL game yesterday, I definitely want Smedts back in, and playing in the forward half.

Kolo deserves to keep his place and Rivers isn't suited to any of their tall forwards anyway.

The midfield will look so much better on paper at least with the names Selwood, Duncan and Caddy together.

In: Selwood, Smedts
Out: Stokes, Gregson (ankle/rest)

If they are only going to keep Stokes as a sub he shouldn't be there. He's looking very slow now and not just in foot speed. I'd be bringing in Smedts in a millisecond. Plus his VFL form deserves to be rewarded (and remember we always ask that VFL players demand selection; Smedts did that).
with the young team we have I wouldn't be dumping Stokes too soon. He hasn't been that bad, and experience is needed. I'd like Smedts to have a few more stand out VFL games first.

In: Selwood, Smedts
Out: Kersten, Stokes,
Keep playing the kids and keep Kolodjashnij in. I don't care if it keeps Rivers out. We could do worse than seeing Menzel as the sub but 3 ins might be too much

with the young team we have I wouldn't be dumping Stokes too soon. He hasn't been that bad, and experience is needed. I'd like Smedts to have a few more stand out VFL games first.
I agree with you re not dropping Stokes- he certainly gets involved when he is subbed on and the experience he adds is invaluable.
As for his speed- I'd kill to have a tenth of his pace!

At ground level (where I was on Saturday), he looked very slow. Don't see he can be keeping someone out now. We're not a hope for the flag, why not start phasing out the weak links?

At ground level (where I was on Saturday), he looked very slow. Don't see he can be keeping someone out now. We're not a hope for the flag, why not start phasing out the weak links?
because of what he can teach the young guys on the field.

because of what he can teach the young guys on the field.

He could teach them in the two's also (where more of the young blokes reside)?

Gregson swap for Smedts. They need to manage him for the rest of the season ... I would have thought he has played more than they would have liked at this stage with injuries and what not.

Where is Clark at? Anyone know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back