Preview AFL Round 22 - Geelong v Western Bulldogs, Simonds Stadium, 1:10PM Sunday 26 August

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Meto though. Disappointing if one of the new kids missus out. But then again I'll trust the match committee"s judgement

The new kids (assuming by new kids you mean Guthrie, Joffa and Murdoch etc) are in all likelihood going to miss out for the first final anyway, so while we'd all, including me, love to see them get one more game on Sunday, in the context of the rest of the year it doesn't matter much if they don't.

The new kids (assuming by new kids you mean Guthrie, Joffa and Murdoch etc) are in all likelihood going to miss out for the first final anyway, so while we'd all, including me, love to see them get one more game on Sunday, in the context of the rest of the year it doesn't matter much if they don't.

But the more players we have that have had seniors experience & form going in to the finals, the better poised we are should any of the others in the seniors go down.
Remembering that the VFL team will be playing finals so they are still going to be getting game time and be right to step up to fill potential voids.
So the above mentioned guys, even if they do or dont get a game are right to come in should something happen, why not add Varcoe to that list?!

I rekon its a great tactic giving Varcoe a go this weekend even if he doesnt play finals.

Whats the worst that can happen? What he play and then not be up to scratch? Wouldnt be the first player to have done that this season.
On the flipside, what happens if he plays and shows blinding form?!

You gotta roll the dice, if he is right to play, play him.

I believe Vardy would be playing this weekend if he was right too, but he obviously isnt.

Go have a look at that footage and tell me Mitch Duncan didn't have the lions share of that goal, as usual Varcoe gets the mega-glory being on the end of it!
Now there's a fine new player that can do it all, Mitch!, Billy Smedts and Murdoch will be the same, if we look after their development.
Look if he plays I don't care, but one of these important kids will be ripped off, that's what annoys me with all the over-hype.

lions share of the goal.....WOW. not even a 50/50 split, the meto glasses are tinted way more than the rose coloured varcoe glasses for sure.

what has smedts done thus far? i like the look of him but think he is a few seasons away and he avoids the contact you love so much.

couldn't agree more than TV should be given near to a full game this weekend. He was always in out best 22 and should be given this chance so close to the finals.

It's great to have the 2nds playing finals so that emergancies are still getting game time. That is a great bonus.

Go have a look at that footage and tell me Mitch Duncan didn't have the lions share of that goal, as usual Varcoe gets the mega-glory being on the end of it!
Now there's a fine new player that can do it all, Mitch!, Billy Smedts and Murdoch will be the same, if we look after their development.
Look if he plays I don't care, but one of these important kids will be ripped off, that's what annoys me with all the over-hype.
Are you kidding? Varcoe had three crucial touches in that play, including finishing off the snap after running the length of the field. Duncan had two crucial touches and run almost just as far but dropped the mark when his time came at the end of the play. Varcoe delivered, Duncan flustered it.

To win 4 Finals will require everything to go right and test our depth and quality in a big way. A fit TV will be an amazing addition to our talent pool and I cannot believe any sane Cats supporter would even think to dispute this - as the old adage goes " you are only as good as your last game" and TV's last game was sensational , he got us started and rammed home one of the last nails in the Pies coffin.

Are you kidding. Varcoe had a three crucial touches in that play, including finishing off the snap after running the length of the field, Duncan had two crucial touches and dropped the mark when his time came at the end of the play. Varcoe delivered, Duncan flustered it.

duncan flustering it is a bit harsh.

in order to make TVs effort brilliant, we dont have to diminish duncans. the mark was spoilt, and TV got there before duncan could put in a second effort.

brilliant work all around from both, but totally TVs goal.

duncan flustering it is a bit harsh.

in order to make TVs effort brilliant, we dont have to diminish duncans. the mark was spoilt, and TV got there before duncan could put in a second effort.

brilliant work all around from both, but totally TVs goal.
Yes it was a bit harsh. I thought Duncans grand final was actually quite good despite the bad reviews he got. I also think his role in that goal was underated by the media. But to suggest that Duncan contributed to the lionshare of that goal was just ridiculous. The poster should have a good hard look at himself. Duncan did drop a very gettable mark, although it was no gimme. Varcoes crumbing at top pace and snap on goal was more difficult then Duncans mark attempt.

Yes it was a bit harsh. I thought Duncans grand final was actually quite good despite the bad reviews he got. I also think his role in that goal was underated by the media. But to suggest that Duncan contributed to the lionshare of that goal was just ridiculous. The poster should have a good hard look at himself. Duncan did drop a very gettable mark, although it was no gimme. Varcoes crumbing at top pace and snap on goal was more difficult then Duncans mark attempt.

first bolded - considering he copped a 4-6 week medial injury in the game, it was a very good effort. ice man goal in the 3rd, too.

second bolded - agree 100%.

i love duncan. one of my favourites. very happy to have TV back in the side, as well.

the mind set of some posters, though - criticise first, wait for event to happen, criticise again regardless of outcome.

hawkins, lonergan, our '09 and '11 seasons - all called early by some, and all wrong.

TV may prove a bust, but as stated, lets find out against the bulldogs in rd 22, and then pass judgment.

His form in the back half of the year was good to exceptional. His form in the first half of the year was poor, but given that he had no pre season at all its understandable.
Don't agree. He showed some flashes of form during the year but by no means exceptional.Had his form in the back half been "exceptional" he would have polled well in the Carji. He didn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't agree. He showed some flashes of form during the year but by no means exceptional.Had his form in the back half been "exceptional" he would have polled well in the Carji. He didn't.
The Carji Greeves is heavily weighted to players who play every game to a solid to good standard. If you score very little votes in a half a season then it doesn't matter how good your second half of the season is going to be. Your not going to do well. Theres a reason why Gary Ablett Senior only ever won one. Varcoe played some exceptional games in the back half of the season running of the half back flank. He got best or second best on ground in the papers in a couple of games. Being close to best on ground is an exceptional game in my book.

The commentators were really harsh on him; the newspapers, admittedly, less so. I agree with you, I thought he was pretty good as well and his goal from fifty was excellent.
I think one of the commentators on tv saw Duncan do one bad thing, stated that Duncan was not up to standard and then stubbornly wouldn't change his mind for the rest of the game. Duncan had a couple of very decisive inside 50's in the second half when the other players were struggling to play on and he did this with what we later found out was quite a bad injury.

The commentators were really harsh on him; the newspapers, admittedly, less so. I agree with you, I thought he was pretty good as well and his goal from fifty was excellent.

Went missing before he was subbed on.

I said his form varied from good to exceptional in the second half of the season, not that his second half of the season was exceptional. He had some very exceptional quarters where he essentially turned the game on its head. He had a couple of games where he was either best or close to best on ground when he was running off the half back flank. I would rate games where you are in the top couple of players on the field as being exceptional.

I think one of the commentators on tv saw Duncan do one bad thing, stated that Duncan was not up to standard and then stubbornly wouldn't change his mind for the rest of the game. Duncan had a couple of very decisive inside 50's in the second half when the other players were struggling to play on and he did this with what we later found out was quite a bad injury.

Sounds like 1 or 2 guys in this thread re: Varcoe....

wow, the geelong v footscray preview has turned into the TV preview...

do some in this thread actually expect every member of the 22 to be a gun, making solid to excellent contributions 100% of the time, every week of the season? damn, out of the 48 or so players on a list, only 1/5th can finish top 10 in the b&f. lets de-list the rest, and only play with the cream.

TV is a 100 game player, and we are about to push for a flag.

the MC know what they are doing, and they have made their choice.

correct decision? lets find out. but if they didnt make it, and one of our > 15 game players buckled in a PF?

we have a fair list to choose from, and 26 does not fit into 22. choices have to be made, and this is a choice. ill defer to the experts on this one, and let results speak for themselves, rather than forum posters who 'know better' than scott and co.

I'm not saying anything about what YOU wrote or didn't, just the prevailing opinions back then.
Would not expect a player in TV's spot on the ground to amass many possessions,or to poll that well in a B&F.
But I couldn't care, because he is a brilliant entertainer and player, and footy needs serious X Factors like him, and not all players are possession vote-getting machines in this team sport. The MC knew he would come good last year, and he did, and they obviously rate him so highly now they're willing to play him this week, much to the annoyance of some detractors who know way less than does the MC. And I'm not referring to you at all. He has a unique role in our team, and Mooney often refers to the pampering he got from Varcoe regarding precision passes "Travvie looked after me beautifully".

Um! We obviously see the game from different perspectives. You perhaps more as a theatre goer as your “brilliant entertainer” remark indicates. I try and see it more from a coaching perspective where different values apply.

You don't appear to have digested my comment in an earlier post where I suggested the MC look at awarding votes on aspects of a players performance which are far broader than rewarding mere .....“possession” .......machines. For example, the role a player is asked to play and the degree of difficulty of that role are more important than mere possessions in the eyes of most match committees. So to suggest that Trav not appearing in any significant way in Carji voting last year - when team values are front and centre in that voting - doesn’t mean much doesn’t wash I’m afraid.

I think it was in “The Coach” that Ron Barassi suggested he was much harder on the talented players as not getting the absolute most from your God given talent to him was one of footballs’ greatest sins.

Phil Jackson, who some say was the best coach ever seen in the NBA, expressed similar thoughts when talking about what he referred to as artists.

I’m a fan of Trav but I just don’t believe he has so far extracted the maximum from the talent he’s been blessed with. If you could transplant Tommy Lonergan’s discipline, courage and dedication into Trav he could be a superstar.

Let’s hope the time out gets his juices going and he provides us with consistently high level performances. No one would be happier than me to see that. Why, he might even win a Carji or two in the years to come.;)

Couldnt have said it better myself barmy.

The way some are carrying on he is playing his first game in a grand final or something.....

Lets just reserve judgement & give a youngster a rest before the finals in the process.

The Carji Greeves is heavily weighted to players who play every game to a solid to good standard. If you score very little votes in a half a season then it doesn't matter how good your second half of the season is going to be. Your not going to do well. Theres a reason why Gary Ablett Senior only ever won one. Varcoe played some exceptional games in the back half of the season running of the half back flank. He got best or second best on ground in the papers in a couple of games. Being close to best on ground is an exceptional game in my book.

You want the truth? He's been sponsored by this board since day one and let's just say there have been some very rose-coloured glasses for a long portion of that. He took a long time to come good and got a lot of games early that on form he absolutely did not deserve. He came good during the finals and contributed when he had to, but to infer in hindsight he had a great year is total exaggeration. Because he didn't.

Hopefully he can get on the ground on Sunday, get some form and fitness up and be better for the run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back