Preview AFL Round 22 - Geelong v Western Bulldogs, Simonds Stadium, 1:10PM Sunday 26 August

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
please leave murdoch in.. and can't believe stephenson isn't named, does that mean walker plays second ruck?

Meto.
This is about the only time I'll be on your side re: Varcoe.

He doesn't touch it a lot. But, he is all about run. Everything he brings is run. And he is class.
But he has stuff all run or touch put into him right now.

Add to that I worry about the 2nd up blues.
Run him through the 2's again, if he does what they expect them play him vs the Swans.

I tend to think there will be some more management of players.

Otherwise it's really cut throat.

Both teams should just petition the AFL to play 25, Dogs could do with getting games into new players as well :p

Medical report earlier in the week suggested Stephenson would need another week off to recover from inserting the plate last week, as his hand was still very swollen.

I think it's the right move to play Varcoe this week. I hope they start him on the ground to give him a decent run, use interchange judiciously and then sub him off only if he runs out of steam. I think it's vital to get AFL miles into his legs if there's any chance of him playing finals. And also gives them another home and away match to see how he pulls up after this week, in case his first week back in the seniors takes some toll on his body the following week.

Meto.

He doesn't touch it a lot. But, he is all about run. Everything he brings is run. And he is class.

Run him through the 2's again, if he does what they expect them play him vs the Swans.

There is no bigger fan of TV than me, but they are sure asking a lot of him right now. I tend to agree with you here vc...particularly the last two sentences. Seems to be more prudent IMO....though I suspect if he does get a run in the seniors, they will use him as a sub.....

I would have thought for conditioning, another run in the VFL would be more valuable. though they may have him on the ground early and wait till he runs out of puff..... I will be interested to see what happens with him this weekend, wherever and whenever he plays.

Meto.

Smedts has to play if available, the kids dynamic, Menzel revisited, Murdoch tall, fast, coming on big time, just play Varcoe in the two's!!!

Ok, he got 22 possessions and a goal, that's good! but it isn't brilliant, Murdoch did that against the Saints in the seniors, a bit tougher than against Coburg Tigers.
If he doe similar or better give him a game gainst the Swans, maybe. But who does he replace?

has this board learnt nothing?

lets trust the club and MC, who have done well by us for a couple of seasons now, and criticise the decision after, if it has been shown to be a bad one.

welcome back, TV! ive missed you, and best of luck...

He has to play. Simple as that.
He has had the run and conditioning, he was been full training for 2 months and I trust the GFC to ensure he is 100% right to go.
Fact is Motlop is tiring, Wojo doesnt look likely and we cant rely on Smedts or Rupert to provide the run and carry and line breaking that a guy like TV brings. For us to be able to match it with the top 4 come finals we NEED Varcoe in the side.
Considering a run in the VFL is dumb, hes had a run and although rusty at first showed he's a class above as the game went on, fact is the dogs wont put up much more than VFL standard resistance anyway and I would HATE to think they would run him for 2 games in the VFL then bring him in 1 week from finals against one of the best sides in the comp.
Bring him in now, see if he has it and go from there.
You guys gotta realise we are 2 weeks from finals, finals that for us to do anything we have to win every game, whats the point giving him a lighter load then not being up to speed for AFL come finals? Why not go hell for leather, bring him in ASAP and see if he can do it, if not atleast they tried. Ottens did it, in fact 1 week later than Varcoe and then went on and was a superb player in the finals for us including playing a big hand in the premiership.
I trust the MC to make the right decision, I also believe in TV and think he WILL make a difference.
Also those re: preferring Rupert or Smedts because Varcoe doesnt get enough of the ball, are you guys serious? Do I need to post ANOTHER 2011 grand final replay? What about all the highlights? The full ground sprints to kick goals and setup plays?
Supporters talk about Rioli only needing a handful of touches to have a huge impact, Varcoe only needs the same, the difference is Varcoe does it almost every week.
At his best is top 10 at the Cats without a doubt IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smedts has to play if available, the kids dynamic, Menzel revisited, Murdoch tall, fast, coming on big time, just play Varcoe in the two's!!!

Ok, he got 22 possessions and a goal, that's good! but it isn't brilliant, Murdoch did that against the Saints in the seniors, a bit tougher than against Coburg Tigers.
If he doe similar or better give him a game gainst the Swans, maybe. But who does he replace?
You do own a copy of the 2011 Grand Final, don't you? Sure, he's not the strongest player over the ball... but he does gut run like no other player in our team.

Meto.

hahahaha...but you dont really agree with him as all meto carry's a torch for is possessions (eerily silent on simpkins varcoe esque game against the eagles though).

i agree with you vc, a month or so back he was indefinite and now he is playing seniors. not only do you have to worry about his fitness but also the prospect of him doing more damage to his foot.

If they do it. They are idiots. Plain and simple.

Why? If he is ready and others approve, why not?

He had a good game last week in the VFL. If he wants to be part of our finals team he needs to get some experience back in the AFL, and there are only 2 rounds left. To return him next week against Sydney would be stupid and risky. Having him play 2 or 3 quarters against Western Bulldogs is the best option.

I am too....but its a big ask.

I hope he slays them. He is a wonderful player to watch.

Big ask for sure but the worse thing that can happen is a re-occurrence of his injury, for mine, it doesn't seem like he'd be any more susceptible to a foot injury in the AFL over the VFL.

On that basis I really don't think we have anything to lose rolling the dice. If he can perform it's a massive bonus, if not, well most of us had come to terms with him not playing till next year anyway so unless something goes terribly wrong it's a risk worth taking, especially against the Bulldogs and as I said I really don't think the risk of playing AFL with his injury would be much different to that of the VFL and it's not like anyway has the slightest issue with him playing 2's.

100% right Hoffy....the "big ask" was more one of performance than fitness. Its tough to come in against seasoned hardened footballers when you havent been exposed to that intensity for 12 months.

But he's a class player... it would be a massive boost if he can do it........fingers crossed.

The club have made the right call regarding the Varcoe inclusion.

The club has nothing to lose in regards to him playing and if he is to have any say in our finals campaign, he had to be given a run at senior level for this match.

He plays the next 2 games to get match conditioning, if he's not up to scratch by the first final he misses.

He wasn't expected to play any part in the remainder of the season in any case.

If he somehow manages to quickly get back into the groove of the game, he'll be a weapon come finals time and give us that X factor which will scare a few sides.

There is no possible way of this occurring if he misses this match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back