Preview AFL Round 22 - Geelong v Western Bulldogs, Simonds Stadium, 1:10PM Sunday 26 August

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
hahahaha...but you dont really agree with him as all meto carry's a torch for is possessions (eerily silent on simpkins varcoe esque game against the eagles though).

i agree with you vc, a month or so back he was indefinite and now he is playing seniors. not only do you have to worry about his fitness but also the prospect of him doing more damage to his foot.

If his foot wasn't fine he wouldn't be playing at all... Playing ones or twos will make no difference to his type of injury, therefore there is no reason to not bring him into the seniors after getting through the vfl hitout and pulling up well! He needs afl intensity minutes under his belt, he will not start sub this week but may be subbed out... Expect him to look absolutely spent at times this week but I gtee he will be absolutely gut running to get as many miles in his legs before september

Three quarters of a game in the VFL is a hell of a lot different to three quarters of a game in the AFL. Varcoe could benefit from the extra conditioning, but the worst possible result would be him breaking down again. I think we should take the cautious approach and start him as the sub. I'm still haunted by the last time we rushed a key player back from a foot injury.

I
Three quarters of a game in the VFL is a hell of a lot different to three quarters of a game in the AFL. Varcoe could benefit from the extra conditioning, but the worst possible result would be him breaking down again. I think we should take the cautious approach and start him as the sub. I'm still haunted by the last time we rushed a key player back from a foot injury.

IF he was to break down, I would rather it was this week. Maybe thats the match committee's view.

There is no way in hell the match committee would be thinking "Hey, Varcoe is still a reasonable chance to break down if he plays in an AFL game, let's test him this week against the dogs instead of the swans."

If he is playing, he will be 100%, they would not risk any of our players, let alone one that is as important as Varcoe.

Forsmann, Just for the record, Simpkin 9 possessions, 1 tackle, 1 goal assist, I'll give Varcoe 3 quarters to do that, unlike Joffa's 1.
Don't be surprised to see Simpkin in a Saints jersey 2013, he's good enough to make it.
Probably to many smalls at Geelong anyway.

There is no way in hell the match committee would be thinking "Hey, Varcoe is still a reasonable chance to break down if he plays in an AFL game, let's test him this week against the dogs instead of the swans."

If he is playing, he will be 100%, they would not risk any of our players, let alone one that is as important as Varcoe.[/quote

He would be 100 percent fit. But can he handle the load of an AFL game? time will tell

Regarding TV I don't get why some want him to play VFL. IMO the MC are better off playing him this week to see how he goes at AFL level than they would be next week against the side on top if the ladder.

If TV isn't up to scratch at least we have the option to drop him in the swans game rather than take him in as liability.

One more week in the VFL isn't really going to make a world of difference so might as well give him a run this week in a game which we will win anyway.

Forsmann, Just for the record, Simpkin 9 possessions, 1 tackle, 1 goal assist, I'll give Varcoe 3 quarters to do that, unlike Joffa's 1.
Don't be surprised to see Simpkin in a Saints jersey 2013, he's good enough to make it.
Probably to many smalls at Geelong anyway.

I agree meto ,he is good enough. Will he have spot at the Cattery? It may depend on trades whether its him or Stringer or a package of the two used in a deal. I do feel we may have to use all our collateral to get our targets at trade time this year , and he may or may not be a part of that.
If he did join his brother , what would he be worth? If we could swap him a for kid that we liked it would suit me ( someone like Markworth or Lever) but thats probably not gettable. Worth around R3?

and the 12 possessions (at a de of 58%) in a full game the previous week against the eagles? or only bring up games that support your argument?

the saints?? is this inside info? not sure they have a need for simpkin but could be wrong.

anyway, i thought we put this useless varcoe possession argument to bed after the grand final when he really showed what his value is to the team.

With respect to meto and Varcoe...your pissing into the wind Forssy.

meto isnt in to outside gut running creative mids...its your in and under hard nuts only....like 60's footy.:thumbsu:

To even raise Simpkin as a comparison to Varcoe says it all really.

Turbo suggests a maybe Round 3 for Simpkin.....ask 99% of AFL supporters what TV is worth and it will be a bloody sight more than that.

By the look of it, meto would gladly trade TV for a Simpkin.....try and get your head around that!

If they do it. They are idiots. Plain and simple.
Have to disagree this time.
He is a brilliant touch player, amazing when his confidence is up, and we can NOT wait until finals to test that.
The fitness staff have contact with him on a DAILY basis, they know where he's at, if he plays, and I'm not 100% convinced yet he will in 1's, but if he does, he IS READY, Nothing more certain, his foot has been managed and timed to perfection.
Aren't you looking forward to some lace-out passes to Hawkins, and a couple of TV snaps?
We still need to win this game, and his contributions will be important and timely, even if he is subbed out midway 3rd/4 for Smedts.
Of course we're all apprehensive, but better this week than any other week this year, and that is all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and the 12 possessions (at a de of 58%) in a full game the previous week against the eagles? or only bring up games that support your argument?

the saints?? is this inside info? not sure they have a need for simpkin but could be wrong.

anyway, i thought we put this useless varcoe possession argument to bed after the grand final when he really showed what his value is to the team.

He was very important in the GF and there's no doubting his talent. However, in fairness, his form during the year wasn’t anything to write home about.

He was very important in the GF and there's no doubting his talent. However, in fairness, his form during the year wasn’t anything to write home about.
Strongly disagree, did you not read the 10000 posts on TV during the 2011 season?

Lots and lots to write home about , it would appear.

I know what you're alluding to,but we won't rehash all that again.

To even raise Simpkin as a comparison to Varcoe says it all really.

to be fair to meto, i brought simpkin up as an example of a guy who got varcoe esque stats in a game yet not one post from meto about it. that was my point.

maybe there is a rule for varcoe and one for others (as seeds rightfully pointed out).

Where did he finish in the Carji Greeves?
I give up , where?
Why bring up something logical like that?
The thing is, nearly all THOSE posts last year were bemoaning the fact that he was getting games, and how we'd be smashed if he got a GF game, and as we know, he timed to perfection, as didTomahawk, his assault on the Pies in a GF, to play his best game ever WHEN IT COUNTED.

I give up , where?
Why bring up something logical like that?
The thing is, nearly all THOSE posts last year were bemoaning the fact that he was getting games, and how we'd be smashed if he got a GF game, and as we know, he timed to perfection, as didTomahawk, his assault on the Pies in a GF, to play his best game ever WHEN IT COUNTED.

Please, don’t attribute to me what others may have written.

He was wonderful in the GF but his general form last year wasn’t as good as some suggest. You don’t base an assessment on one game as important as that game was.

Some get carried away with his silky skills and don’t look much deeper. The relevance of the Carji is that it is voted on by people who are better judges than any of us and done on a much more sophisticated basis. For example they give weight to how well the player performed his given role – a role many of us can only guess at – and the degree of difficulty of that role.

I’m a big fan of Trav but I think many tend to look at his performances through rose tinted glasses.

He didn't finish in the top 11 in last years Carji. I'm not sure how much further down he was.

He touches it a hell of a lot more than Smedts and Murdoch. They've had games this season where they have barely got 10 touches. An absolute ridiculous comment.

Lol that was my instant reaction as well. Incidentally, not only are you absolutely right on the possession front (Varcoe has averaged 16.1 over the past two seasons), but statistically speaking Smedts and Murdoch don't even bring more defensive pressure than Varcoe despite being much heralded in that regard and Varcoe much derided.

B. Smedts 2012: 13 games; 163 disposals at 12.5 per game; 6 goals at 0.5 per game; 35 tackles at 2.7 per game (Has exceeded 5 tackles on only one occasion).
J. Murdoch 2012: 5 games; 69 disposals at 13.8 per game; 4 goals at 0.8 per game; 15 tackles at 3.0 per game (Has exceeded 5 tackles on only one occasion).

Making an argument for Smedts or Murdoch predicated on statistics probably isn't a good road to travel down.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Corey to be a bit sore and for T.Hunt to not quite be right either. Walker is the other one I would be resting.

B: Scarlett Lonergan J.Hunt
HB: Enright Taylor Mackie
C: Varcoe Kelly Murdoch
HF: Smedts Podsiadly Motlop
F: Chapman Hawkins Bartel
FOLL: West S.Johnson Christensen
Inter: Duncan Stokes Simpkin
Sub: Guthrie

If Corey fit, Simpkin makes way, likewise Guthrie for T.Hunt.

Please, don’t attribute to me what others may have written.

He was wonderful in the GF but his general form last year wasn’t as good as some suggest. You don’t base an assessment on one game as important as that game was.

Some get carried away with his silky skills and don’t look much deeper. The relevance of the Carji is that it is voted on by people who are better judges than any of us and done on a much more sophisticated basis. For example they give weight to how well the player performed his given role – a role many of us can only guess at – and the degree of difficulty of that role.

I’m a big fan of Trav but I think many tend to look at his performances through rose tinted glasses.

He didn't finish in the top 11 in last years Carji. I'm not sure how much further down he was.
I'm not saying anything about what YOU wrote or didn't, just the prevailing opinions back then.
Would not expect a player in TV's spot on the ground to amass many possessions,or to poll that well in a B&F.
But I couldn't care, because he is a brilliant entertainer and player, and footy needs serious X Factors like him, and not all players are possession vote-getting machines in this team sport. The MC knew he would come good last year, and he did, and they obviously rate him so highly now they're willing to play him this week, much to the annoyance of some detractors who know way less than does the MC. And I'm not referring to you at all. He has a unique role in our team, and Mooney often refers to the pampering he got from Varcoe regarding precision passes "Travvie looked after me beautifully".

to be fair to meto, i brought simpkin up as an example of a guy who got varcoe esque stats in a game yet not one post from meto about it. that was my point.

maybe there is a rule for varcoe and one for others (as seeds rightfully pointed out).

Who wants to be fair to meto?? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back