• Melbourne

Votes: 41 57.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 7.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

SUMMARY
Jeremy McGovern's after-the-siren goal against Port Adelaide was the most important kick of West Coast's season and has given the Eagles a couple of bites at the cherry in the final rounds to seal second spot and guarantee two priceless home finals. The Eagles will want to get the job done against Melbourne and not leave it until the final day of the season in Brisbane, and will weigh up recalling star spearhead Josh Kennedy (shin) for Sunday's clash. The Demons are under all sorts of pressure to avoid another late-season meltdown after falling to Sydney in a gut-wrenching nine-point loss. Melbourne hasn't beaten any of the top nine teams from seven attempts this season, and will probably have to upset the Eagles or knock over the rampaging Giants in a possible round 23 nailbiter to end their September hoodoo and play finals for the first time since 2006.

WHERE AND WHEN: Optus Stadium, Sunday, August 19, 1.20pm AWST

LAST FIVE TIMES
R14, 2017, Melbourne 15.9 (99) d West Coast 14.12 (96) at Subiaco Oval
R18, 2016, West Coast 10.6 (66) d Melbourne 8.12 (60) at Subiaco Oval
R14, 2015, West Coast 16.18 (114) d Melbourne 9.6 (60) at TIO Stadium
R22, 2014, West Coast 18.11 (119) d Melbourne 8.5 (53) at Subiaco Oval
R2, 2014, West Coast 18.15 (123) d Melbourne 4.6 (30) at the MCG
THE SIX POINTS

1. The Demons are ranked first for contested possessions, inside 50s, marks inside 50, centre clearances and scoring. They have kicked 305 goals, 21 more than the next best team.

2. Tom McDonald's five-goal haul at Subiaco Oval last year helped Melbourne break a nine-game losing streak to West Coast.

3. The Eagles and Demons are ranked first and second, respectively, for contested marks this season. West Coast star Jeremy McGovern (56) leads the League ahead of Melbourne ruckman Max Gawn (44).

4. The Dees have lost on 17 of their past 18 trips to Perth and are yet to play at Optus Stadium, where the Eagles boast nine wins from 11 matches.

5. West Coast has won the most quarters in the competition (55) but Melbourne (54) is only just behind, despite notching three fewer wins than the Eagles this season.

6. At No.5 overall, young Demons midfielder Clayton Oliver will be the highest-ranked player on the ground, according to the Schick AFL Player Ratings.

IT'S A BIG WEEK FOR …
Simon Goodwin
. The blowtorch is on the Demons and fans are already dreading the prospect of a must-win round 23 clash. How Melbourne's second-year coach handles the scrutiny and his ability to keep his players on task will be telling. If he can engineer an upset in the west he will be hailed a hero.

PREDICTION: West Coast by 15 points
http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2018/22/wce-v-melb

This shapes up as the game of the round. Everything on the line for the Dees. I'd love to see the Dees make the 8. I think they could realloy shake up this final series

Their best is good enough to beat anyone on their day, but are notorious for laying down when the whips should be cracking.

Popcorn.gif

I'm a little worried we may be jumped early. Hope lessons from the Essendon game were learnt. As long as it doesn't blow out to 35+ I'll be reasonably confident we can peg them back if we're tight in defence and keep attacking. I have a feeling if the Dees do win they could pull our daks down. A percentage drop is the last thing we need. Really hope we win to make a real statement here.

One of my favourite Eagles games is one I recorded in 2011 when we smashed the Bulldogs by 123 points 26.19 (175) to 8.4 (52). The team is very different but would love to see another demolition of that nature. In reality we'll likely win by about 5 goals. Would be great if we had Kennedy back and he was at his best. He kicked 10 in that Bulldogs game.

Should be a cracking game this one, a lot riding on it for both teams, West Coast can secure a top 2 spot with a win and Melbourne a top 8 spot if they win.

Bloody ridiculous that this game isn't being shown live on FTA in WA though, instead we get delayed coverage here about 3 hours later.:rolleyes:

The AFL can't even use the excuse that they are doing it to get more people to attend the game when most West Coast games are sell outs or close to it.

Scratching my head to find a winner, as both sides have dropped away.

We've won 5 of our last 6 since our mid-season blip.

Strange comment.

On topic, I expect Melbourne to put up a fight. Has all the makings of the Essendon game where we got jumped because we were complacent at home. Need to be on it from the first bounce and if so I think we have enough quality to win.

Melbourne are in with a genuine chance, Hogan out is a blow for them but West Coast are missing Kennedy, not to mention Naitanui and Gaff as well.

The main question mark over the Dees is if they can handle the pressure of a big game like this which they haven't handled well in the past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully we start a lot better than last week. Playing at home, a less controversial lead up, 2nd week to get used to no Gaff and coming off a big victory last week should help make us a bit more settled.

Boy oh boy massive pressure on the loser of this means we will have a cracking game.

If Melbourne lose they invite the psychological pressure (yet again) of having to defeat a desparate GWS in their last game to make the 8.

If West Coast lose they have to make the longest trip in footy off the back of a loss and win against a hard nosed Brisbane in their final to make top 2 and home finals.

im tipping the eagles in a close one.

should be a cracking contest

the eagles with the better squad but the dees with the better team on the field. 9 points either way but thinking the dees have this one.

good luck to both sides

We're 5-1 on the road this season, definitely in with a big chance.

Sounds impressive until you find out it was two trips to Queensland playing bottom four sides, Crows in NT, and Freo in NT. Lost against the only top eight side you played away.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Round 22: West Coast v Melbourne Sunday 1:20pm AWST @OS

Back