Preview AFL Round 9 - Collingwood vs Sydney - Changes & Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

For those who actually watch or attend the VFL, what are your thoughts on Martin? I notice allot of people talk him up due to high number of stats but he had 35 possessions this weekend and wasn't in the best. What is stopping him getting a run?

He was BOG in my opinion. Not sure who chose best players. Stevie Wonder perhaps?

I think with Paine the club was very disappointed with his efforts against Markovic (a Dogs listed player) against Williamstown a few weeks back, and maybe they think that one good performance doesn't warrant a senior game. I'm not sure who his opponent was on the weekend but he definitely played better than he did 2 weeks before.

But if that's correct, then one bad performance negates the good work he's done in other games? 18 goals that ive counted across 6 games is not a bad little haul, considering its his second year player coming off a shoulder injury last season. He's a better player than he was last season and in a team that really could use another marking option up forward.

As much as I don't want Witts dropped, there's every chance that he will be this week. If he's dropped for Shaw, it means when Q is in the ruck we will be very undersized in the forward half. The Sack might come in, but I don't think he provides the same presence and I still think his services might be required down back. The hall of Paine must be considered

I think with Paine the club was very disappointed with his efforts against Markovic (a Dogs listed player) against Williamstown a few weeks back, and maybe they think that one good performance doesn't warrant a senior game. I'm not sure who his opponent was on the weekend but he definitely played better than he did 2 weeks before.

You have to remember Paine is a second year tall forward, the club has a plan for him and would have standards for him to meet before he's considered for senior selection, and at the moment he's obviously not meeting those standards on a consistent basis.

He has a massive future though, and if anything it's good to see the club making him earn his way into the senior side.
Yes but how much more does he have to do to earn his way into the side? lol!

I just hope that Paine knows where he stands, and isn't getting disgruntled by not being selected. His performance in the VFL has been pretty good from what I remember.

I just hope that Paine knows where he stands, and isn't getting disgruntled by not being selected. His performance in the VFL has been pretty good from what I remember.

The club have certain expectations of him that have not yet been met. I am happy to trust in their judgement.

The only player I think should drop back is witts but I'd prefer 2 rucks against Sydney. That means Hudson comes in and then he and Jolly can share the ruck 50/50 and both play as a goal square forward at times. There are no obvious outs so I'd start with who might come in.
Shaw is an obvious in.
It's time to play Didak.

Either Williams or Russell have to go out for Shaw.
Kennedy for Didak.
A bit of experiance will be a plus against Sydney.
Pain needs to string a few together to play seniors at this point. Challange him.

In: Hudson, Shaw, Didak
Out: Witts, Williams, Kennedy.

A Jolly/Hudson ruck combo would be pretty disappointing in a developmental sense, unless of course Witts and Grundy can handle VFL alone. If hes ever going to be our no.1, youd think sooner rather than later would be the time to start giving him as much big time minutes as possible

For those who actually watch or attend the VFL, what are your thoughts on Martin? I notice allot of people talk him up due to high number of stats but he had 35 possessions this weekend and wasn't in the best. What is stopping him getting a run?
Luke Ball atm. Would probably have had a look if Ball weren't back and we had kept on losing. All he can do is keep on playing well and force himself in but atm there are several senior listed players in that same situation as well.

You have to remember Paine is a second year tall forward, the club has a plan for him and would have standards for him to meet before he's considered for senior selection, and at the moment he's obviously not meeting those standards on a consistent basis.

He has a massive future though, and if anything it's good to see the club making him earn his way into the senior side.

This would be pretty harsh. I went to that game and it wasn't a good day for tall forwards with the wind.

+1 about his age though and people being impatient. He looks a quality player in the 2's but looked a bit off it in senior football last year. For that reason if they were going to give him a run I would of thought they'd hold of a week and play an ordinary club rather than throw him into the deep end against the reigning premiers. Structurally he's in a bit of a bind and the only way I see him fitting into our side is if he can push out Lynch or there are injuries. Can't see him being best 22 this season in other positions. If we start playing two rucks though that will really help his chances because with 1 ruck Lynch's selection becomes a no brainer.

A Jolly/Hudson ruck combo would be pretty disappointing in a developmental sense, unless of course Witts and Grundy can handle VFL alone. If hes ever going to be our no.1, youd think sooner rather than later would be the time to start giving him as much big time minutes as possible
+1, I can't think of any positives that come out of Jolly and Hudson sharing the ruck. Hudson was only brought in as insurance for Jolly if he gets injured because we thought it was unlikely that Witts would have the stamina to ruck on his own. I'm pretty sure that Witts would do a better job in hit outs than Hudson if it's for only 40% of the game and he'd also be more value forward. That's not even considering this from a developmental standpoint where one bloke is at the end and the other just beginning his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he's even the slightest bit disgruntled that would be severely dissapointing!

He's still just 19yo, has been at the club for only a possible 33 games and is coming off post season shoulder surgery. Collingwood is a top 4 quality team and judging by the comments of Dwyer in his inside footy interview each player knows how precious it is to be playing seniors.

Fair enough if he's in the same boat two years from now, but at this stage he is not banging down the door and many players have had to wait. A prime example was Taylor walker. He played just 45 games in his first 4 seasons and in his first SANFL season alone kicked 60 goals, but didn't debut at senior level.

Lynch is only on a two year deal and there seems no other obvious replacement at this stage so his time will come he just needs to keep performing at VFL level until it does in order to make the most of that inevitable opportunity.

I am all for devlopment but right now we need to win this game to set us up for a tilt at the top 4. There will be plenty of opportunities to look longer term in the next month or so. At VFL level,having Witts as the number 1 ruck without the experianced fall back should actuially be good for him.

This would be pretty harsh. I went to that game and it wasn't a good day for tall forwards with the wind.
It you read the report on his game on the weekend it is pretty clear the dissapointment was about his application previoulsy and not the results. On that basis he shouldn't be promoted after 1 good effort. In fact I'd give him at least 2 more weeks in the VFL. Players need to be made to earn spots in the 1s and every poor effort shuold require more than double the good efforts top make up for it IMO.

Don't believe everything you read, I was there and he was involved in at least half a dozen goals plus clearances. He was easily in the best. Anyone that has played football realises you can't always trust what the best in the paper say. Anyway see what everyone else says. He was clearly in top 3 or 4

That is good to hear, obviously getting heaps of posessions isn't everything. But reading the reviews looks like he has been clearly the best, but doesn't seem to rate a mention to come into the AFL side. Is it cause he is rookied? too many small midfielders?

I am all for devlopment but right now we need to win this game to set us up for a tilt at the top 4. There will be plenty of opportunities to look longer term in the next month or so. At VFL level,having Witts as the number 1 ruck without the experianced fall back should actuially be good for him.
Fair enough actually, but id still be worried about having either jolly/hudson resting up forward the entire game, swans are good enough at rebounding from defense as it is

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview AFL Round 9 - Collingwood vs Sydney - Changes & Prematch Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back