News Ageing Hawks lack depth: Parkin

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair Lyon made some good points. I particulary like this one:

Maybe it's time to park the "Cyril and Buddy to the midfield" experiment and get them back to doing what they do best. A forward line of Franklin, Jarryd Roughead and David Hale, with Rioli at their feet and Luke Breust, Michael Osborne, Whitecross and Shiels sharing the load, shapes as one of the most dangerous in the competition.

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Also interesting to hear Parko say on AFL League teams that "It was the most insipit performance by any Hawthorn side in his time" Thats a big statement!!

So everyone has had a crack at us this week and granted mind you. So either of 2 things will happen tonight.

1. We will absolutely smash the Saints

or

2. We will lose.

Its time to make a point I think.

Also interesting to hear Parko say on AFL League teams that "It was the most insipit performance by any Hawthorn side in his time" Thats a big statement!!

You never know, Parkin may have done it hoping it would help fire up the boys. Just a thought.

Our first half last week was very good and I think that's what made the second half so awful in comparison. Had we been badly beaten the whole game we could have put it down to Sydney being more desperate to win it for Goodes' milestone and left it at that.
To me that first half demonstrated that we're a better side than Sydney when we play to our strengths which is why the capitulation was so disappointing.

Yes we're maybe a tad slow in the middle but every side has a few weaknesses.

I still say the major reason we are where we are is the bloke sitting in the coaches box. We just don't structure up in the most dangerous ways we have available. We are unnecessarily defensive. We need to move the ball faster.

We are the only team in the league that regularly wins a fast break in defence and then has to stop in the centre and go backwards or sideways. The current structures allow us one avenue to goal only, being a hard fought scrimmage or individual piece of brilliance after the ball has come in slowly then been locked into the forward line. We need to structure up on a way that at the very least allows us to score off opposition turnovers.

who cares, all these articles in the rags are just opinions of ex-players or non-players who are so high and mighty on the outer.

They never had bad games, they never featured in a bad loss?

We have a chance to claw back some redemption this week and to go 3-3. Next week we have a chance to go 4-3 and so on. This season is going to be a hard slog...would we have it any other way?

If we dont win this week the players and the coaches have to pick themselves up, dust off and reset for the following week, try to pay back the faith that 60,000 members have in them...

Mare, if we dint win tonight, it will be a blood bath...if we don't make top 4 this year and prove to be a successful club, with the list we have....I doubt very much well get to 60K members next year...

Yes we're maybe a tad slow in the middle but every side has a few weaknesses.

I still say the major reason we are where we are is the bloke sitting in the coaches box. We just don't structure up in the most dangerous ways we have available. We are unnecessarily defensive. We need to move the ball faster.

We are the only team in the league that regularly wins a fast break in defence and then has to stop in the centre and go backwards or sideways. The current structures allow us one avenue to goal only, being a hard fought scrimmage or individual piece of brilliance after the ball has come in slowly then been locked into the forward line. We need to structure up on a way that at the very least allows us to score off opposition turnovers.

Agreed, we often force the opposition to turn the ball over and then look up and there's no-one in our 50m arc to kick it to.

Opposition teams know this, so they can afford to be aggressive when they have the football knowing they're less likely to be burnt the other way.

who cares, all these articles in the rags are just opinions of ex-players or non-players who are so high and mighty on the outer.

They never had bad games, they never featured in a bad loss?

We have a chance to claw back some redemption this week and to go 3-3. Next week we have a chance to go 4-3 and so on. This season is going to be a hard slog...would we have it any other way?

If we dont win this week the players and the coaches have to pick themselves up, dust off and reset for the following week, try to pay back the faith that 60,000 members have in them...

Ahh...yeah? Can that be arranged?

I respect the insight of a former club captain, premiership player and coach, and I also think Parko has been reading BF threads..

Parkin hits it right on the head, from his observation to this point in the season we have some deficiencies with depth around the midfield and across the backline, sound like a similar discussion?

I agree with Parko though - we need Roughy at CHB, problem is we also need him in the forward line and in the ruck too when we play like we did against the Swans.

Shoey showed enough against the Swans to suggest that the CHB weakness will be covered. As for the slow midfield, that was discussed at length last season, as was the need to inject Smith and Savage into the middle to improve our leg speed and goal kicking options. Well Smith is finally back, and Hill, Wanganeen and Schnieder are waiting for a chance.

It doesn't take THAT many changes to convert this team of supposed duds into premiership contenders again. Its more about getting more self belief and hunger for success into the group, and extracting the most out of the players in their selected positions, rather than having to keep chopping and changing the structure of the side to cover the weaknesses.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Ageing Hawks lack depth: Parkin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back