Opinion Alan Cransberg and Trevor Nisbett

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Man Utd, Perth Glory.
Surely we must have the most invisible Chairman and CEO in the competition. Have hardly heard a peep from these two over the last few years. Nothing from them about the direction of the club or seeing them on the TV at games promoting the club. I know we as a club like to shun type of things that most of the other clubs embrace but the only off field people that are visible are Worsfold and Daniher from what I see.

I don't know what you guys think but I'd like to see these guys a bit more visible, Steve Rosich for Fremantle has done a magnificent job since taking over from Cameron Schwab.

Our drafting hasn't been great, the club doesn't engage with fans well, our gameplan has not held up, we struggle continuously with a large number of injuries, our players aren't strong enough and player skills are below par.

So who is responsible for the appointments of coaching, medical, fitness/conditioning, development and recruitment staff, because to me it seems the club has hit a rut and in more than one area is not making the right decisions.

Likewise, whoever is responsible for appointing the people in charge of communications and forming the strategies for fan engagement. Whilst we have gotten better in some areas we are woefully inadequate in others.

The clubs financial situation is as strong as ever, though with a captive market and some very noticeable players this does not surprise me. Perhaps, the best thing I can say is that the club has really embraced a greater sense of social responsibility.

For a club that is so wealthy, has spent a fortune on coaching staff and was once recognised for it's ability to recruit and develop players, we really have become mediocre in a lot of areas. Does the responsibility for this lie at the top?

Our drafting hasn't been great, the club doesn't engage with fans well, our gameplan has not held up, we struggle continuously with a large number of injuries, our players aren't strong enough and player skills are below par.

So who is responsible for the appointments of coaching, medical, fitness/conditioning, development and recruitment staff, because to me it seems the club has hit a rut and in more than one area is not making the right decisions.

Likewise, whoever is responsible for appointing the people in charge of communications and forming the strategies for fan engagement. Whilst we have gotten better in some areas we are woefully inadequate in others.

The clubs financial situation is as strong as ever, though with a captive market and some very noticeable players this does not surprise me. Perhaps, the best thing I can say is that the club has really embraced a greater sense of social responsibility.

For a club that is so wealthy, has spent a fortune on coaching staff and was once recognised for it's ability to recruit and develop players, we really have become mediocre in a lot of areas. Does the responsibility for this lie at the top?

Great post

Unfortuantely Wooshas " only say what you need to " mantra has infected everyone.
Ive previously pushed this lack of unaccountability by this club many times, Nisbett has become the "untouchable" and will back Woosha in no matter what the onfield results are, ineffect Woosha has a job as long as he wants it.

This arrogance and blantant unaccountability is akin to the once powerful Roman Empire and we know what ended up happening there.
Its time for a real discussion on the the direction of this "club" and what the fallout should be for the
disappointing season so far.
If anything our recruiting dept needs an overhaul that's in line with more modern thinking, surely recruiting players that have had major knee issues wasn't the smartest backup plan, or washed up high draft picks that have no talent and will be just average WAFL players at best was a silly decision.

If Cransberg is the great leader & business man that everyone says he is ,before he guaranteed Wooshas job for life9 as he has come out and said) why didnt he just shut up & wait & see the results at seasons end ,then evaluate in the interest of the club maybe look at a new coach that has some new ideas because Wooshas plan hasn't worked out. Blind Freddy can see we have gone backwards this year.

And to those that say "we ve had injuries, so go easy on Woosha"
Everyclub has injuries ,planning ,playing & winning with injuries is the mark of a great coach!

OP has started again. In 2010 when we weren't going so well he called for essentially everyone's head. Didn't change even though we rebuilt in world record pace.

Now he is at it again. At least this week he hasn't created a "changes" thread before a game actually finished.

For what it's worth, CEO and president constantly talking in media is a Melbourne thing. Interstate clubs don't do that. Who the hell are brisbanes CEO and president? People should be glad we have a stable club and we aren't going to throw worsfold to the wolves. Club legends are not treated like that.

As for Rosich, since when do we take tips from freo? That will be the day!

OP has started again. In 2010 when we weren't going so well he called for essentially everyone's head. Didn't change even though we rebuilt in world record pace.

Now he is at it again. At least this week he hasn't created a "changes" thread before a game actually finished.

For what it's worth, CEO and president constantly talking in media is a Melbourne thing. Interstate clubs don't do that. Who the hell are brisbanes CEO and president? People should be glad we have a stable club and we aren't going to throw worsfold to the wolves. Club legends are not treated like that.

As for Rosich, since when do we take tips from freo? That will be the day!

The rebuild you seem to rate has delivered one top four finish, no real threat to the top teams and a plummet back down the ladder. Hardly something to write home about and not that dissimilar to Carlton's predicament.

Woosha put his head on the line by repeatedly stating that we would be back in premiership contention.

He has not delivered and his demeanour indicates that times up.

Definitely time for change and not just the coach should go and yes, we do need to take some tips from Freo because we are their towel boys at the moment.

OMG I would have thought the last thing for anyone to whinge about would be that we don't have our CEO and Chairman out on media street having to pump up the club. Our club is the envy of most of the rest of the competition for our strength off-field and that is due to Cransberg,Nisbett and the Board. Some people really need to get a grip.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If anything our recruiting dept needs an overhaul that's in line with more modern thinking, surely recruiting players that have had major knee issues wasn't the smartest backup plan, or washed up high draft picks that have no talent and will be just average WAFL players at best was a silly decision.

What are your thoughts on using top 3 picks on players who have had two shoulder recos by 18?

I think it would be nice to hear some sort of general acknowledgment from the club that things aren't great; that they have underperformed and that we have underperformed in regards to drafting/development and retention after deciding that our strategy was not to trade in but to build via a plethora of high draft picks....

I think the club can honestly engage with its fan base or it can close up shop and issue puff pieces about how "mature and strong" the Sydney midfield was with only Matty standing in their way.

The lack of willingness to acknowledge our shortcomings while being only too happy to talk about Woosh having the job if he wants it regardless of results sends a weird message to fans....

Or it sends a message that we know best and you guys should hand your money over and shut the **** up ...

FWIW despite his football background, Cransberg has been out of the footy loop for years prior to his election and Nisbett (who arguably deserved the sack via the drugs/Cousins saga) was talking 6 years ago about his role being a "younger mans" position these days....

I think the club can honestly confront its failings or it can become insular and spin things. I'm concerned that its doing the latter given that the former will directly impact on its coach, its MC and its CEO...

Freo did this stuff for years under Connolly and Schwab. Delusional bullshit machines.

Rosich and Co have brought an energy; a no bullshit get it done approach to Freo best exemplified by getting Lyon. No matter what.

We wouldn't even dream of such a thing these days and it all feels a bit stale and same old same old to me. When things aren't great you need leadership that's acting purely in the best interests of the Club in the biggest sense of that word, not in the interests of the club from their perspective. There is a difference.

I think there are a number of things off-field holding the club back atm. A new training base and a reserves team being the two most important. Get it done guys.

I think it would be nice to hear some sort of general acknowledgment from the club that things aren't great; that they have underperformed and that we have underperformed in regards to drafting/development and retention after deciding that our strategy was not to trade in but to build via a plethora of high draft picks....

I think the club can honestly engage with its fan base or it can close up shop and issue puff pieces about how "mature and strong" the Sydney midfield was with only Matty standing in their way.

The lack of willingness to acknowledge our shortcomings while being only too happy to talk about Woosh having the job if he wants it regardless of results sends a weird message to fans....

Or it sends a message that we know best and you guys should hand your money over and shut the **** up ...

FWIW despite his football background, Cransberg has been out of the footy loop for years prior to his election and Nisbett (who arguably deserved the sack via the drugs/Cousins saga) was talking 6 years ago about his role being a "younger mans" position these days....

I think the club can honestly confront its failings or it can become insular and spin things. I'm concerned that its doing the latter given that the former will directly impact on its coach, its MC and its CEO...

Freo did this stuff for years under Connolly and Schwab. Delusional bullshit machines.

Rosich and Co have brought an energy; a no bullshit get it done approach to Freo best exemplified by getting Lyon. No matter what.

We wouldn't even dream of such a thing these days and it all feels a bit stale and same old same old to me. When things aren't great you need leadership that's acting purely in the best interests of the Club in the biggest sense of that word, not in the interests of the club from their perspective. There is a difference.

Agree with that particularly, especially seeings everytime someone questions whether Woosh is the best option as coach they just trot out the old "Woosh has a job for as long as he likes" line. That in itself smacks of a club not willing to look at what is best for the club as a whole, not just Woosha, the administrators who are his mates, or the senior players who keep getting games when they are obviously past thier best and should be being replaced by younger players in order to develop the list and move forward as a playing group.

Not having a go, just interested; what makes you say this?

here's an example. I've emailed the club a couple of times. I've asked them to justify the pathetic choc milk carton stacking comps (replete with the frenzied screamings of Karl Langdon). Can't see why this trash is foist upon the 90% of attendees who just want a break at the break, not something that would look tacky at a bush race meeting. I've never received a response.

here's an example. I've emailed the club a couple of times. I've asked them to justify the pathetic choc milk carton stacking comps (replete with the frenzied screamings of Karl Langdon). Can't see why this trash is foist upon the 90% of attendees who just want a break at the break, not something that would look tacky at a bush race meeting. I've never received a response.
Could you please post a copy of this email? I would love to read it.

The iced coffee stacking is the only reason I go to the games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Alan Cransberg and Trevor Nisbett

Remove this Banner Ad

Back