Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarkson clearly isn't the problem, but at the same time you must ask: is he the solution?

Sometimes a new coach with new ideas and a fresh outlook can inspire a struggling squad. Look at Collingwood; horrible side in 2021, then immediately in Premiership contention following the appointment of Craig McRae. Bulldogs in 2015 are another example- 4 straight years of no finals, rock bottom in morale at the end of 2014, nobody giving them any chance of doing anything in 2015. Then they appointed Beveridge, he brought in some new ideas and the squad responded well and finished 6th.

I know North Melbourne have had four different coaches in 5 years and one might think it's impossible for any coach to fix the club... but it could also be that you picked the wrong guy for the job three times. It happens. The problem with Clarkson is that you've committed to him for 5 years on big money, so if it becomes clear it won't work out, it's all the more difficult to initiate meaningful change.
Is Jake mansplaining to us?

Just watched the press conference. No confidence in this guy anymore. I want to be in, but I’m not.
It’s on him to fix this mess and he is not fixing it.

Clarkson clearly isn't the problem, but at the same time you must ask: is he the solution?

Sometimes a new coach with new ideas and a fresh outlook can inspire a struggling squad. Look at Collingwood; horrible side in 2021, then immediately in Premiership contention following the appointment of Craig McRae. Bulldogs in 2015 are another example- 4 straight years of no finals, rock bottom in morale at the end of 2014, nobody giving them any chance of doing anything in 2015. Then they appointed Beveridge, he brought in some new ideas and the squad responded well and finished 6th.

I know North Melbourne have had four different coaches in 5 years and one might think it's impossible for any coach to fix the club... but it could also be that you picked the wrong guy for the job three times. It happens. The problem with Clarkson is that you've committed to him for 5 years on big money, so if it becomes clear it won't work out, it's all the more difficult to initiate meaningful change.
Horrible side who were a kick off a flag three seasons before. Thanks for coming but you don’t know enough about our situation or Collingwood’s to be commenting. Committing to Clarkson is not the problem here.

You flipped again? I'm getting dizzy.

Yeah, back to square 1 unfortunately. I want to be all-in. He’s just not filling me with any confidence.

Starts his presser by talking up the opposition of the last 2 weeks (one of which we penciled in a win against at the start of the year)

Talks about being 2 years behind everyone.

Uses the compromised draft as an excuse.

Benchmarks us against the worst teams, first west coast then Melbourne/Carlton of 10yrs ago, etc.

Blah blah blah.

Stfu Clarkson- you are on a million dollars a year to do your f***ing job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He also needs basic public speaking retraining. “Um, uhh, um, Uhh”.. could it be any less inspiring?
Watched him closely in his addresses/press conferences since he came over. Does that illness he had around 2015 affect verbal ability/articulacy? Because right off the bat, I thought he seemed to be struggling when he spoke. Some sentences flat out didn't make sense

Watched him closely in his addresses/press conferences since he came over. Does that illness he had around 2015 affect verbal ability/articulacy? Because right off the bat, I thought he seemed to be struggling when he spoke. Some sentences flat out didn't make sense

Feel like he’s always been like this. Age might make it worse. It’s not Biden levels though.

Probably seems even worse when he never has anything profound to say. Just the same bullshit excuses.

I think its definitely related to the Guillain-Barré syndrome he has, I feel like it isn't discussed enough when it comes to Clarko. Clearly we overlooked that fact when assessing him, it was a red flag we either totally missed or ignored.

Last edited:
He took over a list that had been trashed. That he's led us to two 3win/17th seasons is very, very disappointing. Everyone expected better, but the list was/is filled with sub-par AFL footballers and you can't make strawberry jam out of dog poop.

But Clarko has failed. Badly. That after two seasons he has failed to assert minimum standards of effort and professionalism and kill the evident loser culture is disastrous. That after two years of his coaching, a North Melbourne team walked out into an AFL match today with NO intention on competing AT ALL, content on embarrassing themselves, their club and their fans...for the second week in a row...is an indictment on his messaging to the group and/or his ability to get a message through.

Clarko's first coach at NMFC once said, "You can't always have a winning side, but you can always have a team that fights." I give as many shits that it was a dead last round rubber for us, as the team did about fighting out today's game...ZERO. We very well may finish in the bottom 2 again next year, in fact I expect it with the crap we have on the list, but if Clarko can't assert himself on this group and make them play with some pride every single week, he can hit the bricks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Alastair Clarkson - NMFC Senior Coach - Coaching & Football Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back