Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

with Dutton being a meme and Albo being pretty underwhelming, how many of us are going independent again next election ?
I can't the independents that ran in my seat were an antivaxer who said he'd take a gun to parliament to kill the pedos (how he was allowed to run after that...)

A hardline catholic anti abortionist

And a libertarian (the pedo)

I can't the independents that ran in my seat were an antivaxer who said he'd take a gun to parliament to kill the pedos (how he was allowed to run after that...)

A hardline catholic anti abortionist

And a libertarian (the pedo)
Yeah okay, that's a bit shit.

Let's hope for some non sexual predators at the next one.

Yeah okay, that's a bit shit.

Let's hope for some non sexual predators at the next one.
i live in a pretty safe conservative outer suburban seat

you get family first and DLP candidates here

UAP and ON

labor and greens run but no independent out here is going to be a good choice

At some point it doesn't actually do anything though. Retirees benefit from higher rates and we're an aging population.

If they need to take money out of the system they need a way to do that spread over everyone, as atm 40% or so of our people aren't feeling any pinch, in fact they benefit. They're buying cars and going on holidays. Another rate rise is going to do absolutely F all to inflation imo. Especially when costs from corporates are passed onto consumer, further fueling inflation...

Eventually wages catch up.

There are plenty of your retirees living off their savings who have no means of escaping poverty.

You seem to think things are worse than they've ever been before.

i live in a pretty safe conservative outer suburban seat

you get family first and DLP candidates here

UAP and ON

labor and greens run but no independent out here is going to be a good choice
I'm in Sturt. It's one of the most marginal in the country, Stevens is all but invisible, it's chock full of doctor's wives and I can't believe there's no voices of style group or talk of indies running.

Eventually wages catch up.

There are plenty of your retirees living off their savings who have no means of escaping poverty.

You seem to think things are worse than they've ever been before.
eventually wages catch up is no longer true

hasn't been true for a while

things are worse than they have been before for many people

I'm in Sturt. It's one of the most marginal in the country, Stevens is all but invisible, it's chock full of doctor's wives and I can't believe there's no voices of style group or talk of indies running.
i also live in Sturt

I'll be voting Independent, and with Duttons latest comments if there is a good Indy, I'll happily volunteering my time to help them.

eventually wages catch up is no longer true

hasn't been true for a while

things are worse than they have been before for many people

Oh sure, there will be a general lowering of the standard of living.
What do you think happens when we have trade agreements with countries with lower standards of living?
What do you think happens when Australia's natural resources are diluted with a larger population.

If China had a border with Australia that you could walk across, we'd be employing them day to day.
We don't but without trade protection ( out of fashion ) , we only have transport costs buffering us and them.

I have a guy who runs on a platform of having a big beard.

A very long time ago I had a school employment advisor, he gave general advice to be clean shaven when looking for a job.
His reasoning was, some people have an irrational bias against men with beards.
No-one had an irrational bias against people without beards.

To bad for kids looking for jobs who were Black, or Chinese or something i suppose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you think happens when we have trade agreements with countries with lower standards of living?
What do you think happens when Australia's natural resources are diluted with a larger population.

If China had a border with Australia that you could walk across, we'd be employing them day to day.
We don't but without trade protection ( out of fashion ) , we only have transport costs buffering us and them.
its interesting that you think China is the reason our living standards are declining

it's not, but it is interesting you think that is the issue

its interesting that you think China is the reason our living standards are declining

it's not, but it is interesting you think that is the issue

We used to employ people to fix things.
Now the products are so cheap compared to our wages its not worth paying a tradesman in many cases.

A lot of our Jobs are being dumbed down, so that the vast majority are getting jobs that aren't far off basic skills.

China just one example.

We used to employ people to fix things.
Now the products are so cheap compared to our wages its not worth paying a tradesman in many cases.

A lot of our Jobs are being dumbed down, so that the vast majority are getting jobs that aren't far off basic skills.

China just one example.
China is not the reason any of that is happening

welcome to capitalism

China is not the reason any of that is happening

welcome to capitalism

Without free trade , the capitalism would have to exploit our own society.
Of course they want to exploit more than they should , which is why trade unions used to be so important. But now they have abandoned the industries they helped make uncompetitive, and are targeting those that are very difficult to import.
So some appliance used to cost more, and you looked after it better. Then you got it repaired if it broke.

Australian made cars used to cost around $30 000. The prices were low for ages.
As soon as they pulled out, all the prices went up, Falcons and Commodores were keeping all the Corolla's and crap beneath them.
We can still get cheap cars , but they aren't the same cars. An MG is not a Corolla or a Mazda. That's part of our standard of living dropping.

We can buy cheap clothes, but the clothes are crappy. ( textile industry long gone now ).

Managed right, a larger aus population will mean the economy less reliant on trade

Managed right is the kicker

Of course they want to exploit more than they should , which is why trade unions used to be so important. But now they have abandoned the industries they helped make uncompetitive, and are targeting those that are very difficult to import.
So some appliance used to cost more, and you looked after it better. Then you got it repaired if it broke.

As soon as they pulled out, all the prices went up, Falcons and Commodores were keeping all the Corolla's and crap beneath them.
We can still get cheap cars , but they aren't the same cars. An MG is not a Corolla or a Mazda. That's part of our standard of living dropping.

We can buy cheap clothes, but the clothes are crappy. ( textile industry long gone now ).

Nothing has made our industry more uncompetitive than the living costs of our workers, driven by high housing costs

again welcome to capitalism

Managed right, a larger aus population will mean the economy less reliant on trade

Managed right is the kicker

Seems most of Australia mows each others lawns and sells coffee to each other.
I find it all very depressing.

In politics and in this world, you need a balance of idealism and pragmatism. You need people and entities to push for ideals that they believe are right, even if they seem impractical at first - that's how we got things like the eight-hour work day and annual leave. Yet you also need to work with and harness the reality you live in, not ignore it.

People have different views on what is the right balance between idealism and pragmatism, but everyone is a bit of both. Call this comment a cop-out, but it's what I think.

It's too hard for our incompetent politicians but a mandatory period where all employees had to put money into Super would have taken money out of the economy whilst helping people save $ for retirement.

They act like 'rate rises are all we have'. It isn't, it's all you cbf legislating

Temporary GST hike spreads the damage more than just those with a mortgage too. It's clearly not a great measure against inflation when only roughly 35% of people have a bloody mortgage
That's a damn good point. Why should people get slugged twice when an economy overheats, with inflation and interest rates? More money to super (instead of banks) is an infinitely better case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Anthony Albanese - How long? -2-

Remove this Banner Ad

Back