Autopsy autopsy v * in it for more than half a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

As someone who has vocalised their disappointment of LDU’s year, I really liked his match today. He got stuck-in, chased, tackled, did the dirty stuff and found the separation which brings him into elite category of player. Well done. I pray you kick on for the rest of the year, leaving oppo campaigners in your wake.

They have 5x the speed we do up forward. Until we have some smalls up forward with closing speed, this won’t change

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Larkey getting up off the ground, and Curtis + Zurharr getting out of a jog would also help...

A+ for you, Mr Nortball.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
I’m nothing but a spectator sir, A+ to our young fellas that are showing real shinboner spirit and playing the gameplan as best they can. It’s those guys flying the flag and playing their guts out during a year that’s so easy to be demoralised and turn the footy off that I keep watching week in week out.

I will also say I much prefer Clarko coaching from the bench. Until we have the leaders that can act as his mouthpiece on field while he coaches from the box, Clarkos leadership, affirmation and presence is required at ground level

Apart from the last 2 minutes in the 1st quarter and the whole 3rd quarter we outscored the Bummers in the the 2nd and last quarters and level in the 1st quarter. Definately signs of improvement and most of the signs looking forward are good. l cant wait for Logue to return to help out the backline.

As someone who has vocalised their disappointment of LDU’s year, I really liked his match today. He got stuck-in, chased, tackled, did the dirty stuff and found the separation which brings him into elite category of player. Well done. I pray you kick on for the rest of the year, leaving oppo campaigners in your wake.
100% he cracked in

Essendon had just 46 turnovers ( we had just 46 intercepts). That would have to be the lowest ever recorded unless it's a mistake. It sums up why we can't win - we cannot get it off the opposition. We just can't or won't apply pressure and defend up the ground.

Well we sat in 2nd back row of the "North bay" in aisle 28. Needed a defib after the walk up.

Got that fixed then had to endure Bailey Scott giving Nostradamus credibility. With him out there kicking it back or OOTF and Lazzaro fumbling away its like we are two short, thats before you get onto some of the the otherr potato farmers floating around. More defib.

Then after LDU's 2nd goal the umpires really stepped up with a run of astonishing softies (more Bailey magic as well) and suddenly its 3qtr time and more than 6 goals.

We left then, did we miss much in the last? Based on scores i'd doubt it, we tuned into MMM to hear "Peter Wright has a free, dont think he really deserved that" and we turned that off thinking we had been transported to the latter part of the 3rd.

On the plus side, great to see George and co around the ball, LDU debate from last week is over right?

Larkey looked better when moving but so often doesnt or cant due to movement up the ground.( lack of).

Anyway, onward to the draft de list period - its draining.

As a football layman myself I can try, today it looked like we’re trying to move away from the Brad Scott era fully contested style.

We absolutely have our contested players inside feeding play but the gameplay looks to be more pinpoint, uncontested and fast on the outside which is more in line with the way the modern teams play. I reckon this is in line with what Wardlaw mentioned as ‘Northball’ during the preseason and is why we’re being demolished on turnover - we’re trying to learn a riskier, higher skill calibre of footy that a lot of our players can’t demonstrate due to skill.

The issue is if we play a contested plan while waiting until we have players with the skill/composure to play it, it may be to late to teach by the time we have the cattle to play it.

Teach the plan now, those who cannot perform will be exposed and we can fill the gaps with players that can execute.
Excellent summary.

It’s not just skills that are deficient it’s not being fit enough to create the space required that gives a bit more leeway to allow for passes not being pinpoint accurate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not a Bailey Scott hater, but he can go back to the VFL after that.

Most of those turnovers were under little to no pressure and the odd one that was, were due to him putting himself under pressure.

What a shitshow. We have a wingman who is arguably best on for the opposition and we have no one to replace him.
In time, I see McKercher taking one of those wings. With his laser left kicks, this game style of pin point kicking will suit him well. In the next few years as the group improves and we add a few more players from the trade and draft, competition for spots will only get harder. Bailey Scott, Luke McDonald and these types who aren't hitting their kicks regularly will find it tough to get a game.

I’m not a Bailey Scott hater, but he can go back to the VFL after that.

Most of those turnovers were under little to no pressure and the odd one that was, were due to him putting himself under pressure.

What a shitshow. We have a wingman who is arguably best on for the opposition and we have no one to replace him.
I’m no hater either. I want him to be a positive contributor in the team. He works hard, has pace, is able to get himself into the right spot time and time again but he’s burning himself and the team with his turnovers.

As a football layman myself I can try, today it looked like we’re trying to move away from the Brad Scott era fully contested style.

We absolutely have our contested players inside feeding play but the gameplay looks to be more pinpoint, uncontested and fast on the outside which is more in line with the way the modern teams play. I reckon this is in line with what Wardlaw mentioned as ‘Northball’ during the preseason and is why we’re being demolished on turnover - we’re trying to learn a riskier, higher skill calibre of footy that a lot of our players can’t demonstrate due to skill.

The issue is if we play a contested plan while waiting until we have players with the skill/composure to play it, it may be to late to teach by the time we have the cattle to play it.

Teach the plan now, those who cannot perform will be exposed and we can fill the gaps with players that can execute.
So what you’re trying to say is.. Scott, Tucker, Jy, pack your shit annnnnnnnnnd get the **** out

Forward line is absolutely our Achilles heel yet we look to make little or no change down there? We have no electric small forwards, Larkey is a 1 trick pony and we have 1000 medium sized forwards with seemingly no flexibility to play anywhere else or impact the scoreboard.

So what you’re trying to say is.. Scott, Tucker, Jy, pack your s**t annnnnnnnnnd get the heck out
I try to be a bit more diplomatic than that because I love any bloke that pulls on our jumper and gives their all 🤣, but yes, the lads that don’t have the speed or poise to create the separation or execute the clean skills and gameplay will slowly be phased out while more and more of our cream rises to the top. I wish our team could win the flag every year no matter who we play but it’s the cruel reality of football

Very, very hard to watch the team scrap and claw and fight their way to a three-goal deficit halfway through the third quarter off the back of nothing more than basically sheer will, and George Wardlaw, and for them to have a convoy running through the middle with two leading forwards 30m out from goal, and for Bailey Scott to kick it five metres to the left to an Essendon defender who started the play with his back to the footy. Turnover, rebound 50, Alwyn Davey goal, bang, floodgates, game over. Absolute momentum slaughter.

We're so close in so many ways, but the usual suspects - Scott, Tucker chief among them - are holding us back. Their usual guns - Merrett, Langford, Martin, Redman - were or have been down on their regular output. Corr played a great game, Shiels played well on Merrett for a half, Redman and Laverde demolished Zurhaar but weren't offensively that great. We just turn it over in so many creative and interesting ways and we make it so hard for ourselves to develop any sense of fluency and drive.

The first half was a really good effort. I thought we played them really well at centre clearances and crucially, outside of one effort at the first bounce, Xerri didn't try to contest our midfielders for ground balls. He clearly knows what works against Goldstein and I thought focused on getting in his space early after the bounce. Powell had an excellent first quarter, and a great first half overall. Faded a bit in the second half, but did his job.

Lazzaro did nothing in a game that should have been set up for him to do well. I don't see what he offers, and the spot is realistically there for him to take off Tucker.

Tucker was deplorable. His ball drop lends itself to the ball floating. He's a big body and aggressive but he turns the ball over consistently and doesn't offer enough. I know why he's out there, and he'll get the rest of the year. But we can't move forward as a club and as a team if we have him as a first choice wingman.

Stephenson's infield kicking is so hit and miss but when it's a hit it's really good. He just doesn't get involved enough, his magical ability to be where the footy is not is basically second to none. I'd almost like to see him played as a full time winger - legitimately anyone but Scott at the moment - because having Stephenson deliver the footy inside 50 is a far better proposition.

I reckon we lost this game the second we decided to debut Dawson, but I don't hate that we did. What I didn't necessarily love was keeping Dawson on Wright for a whole game, fantastic learning experience notwithstanding. We have the reigning SANFL TOTY FB running around like a headless chook in the forward line; what's the harm in swapping the two and giving Dawson a bit of a rest in the forward line? On Dawson, there's enough signs there that he'll be a footballer, largely the fact that he's 200cm at 18 years old, but he just got lost on Wright too many times. Persist and it'll happen eventually.

Wardlaw was great. Our team seems determined to kill him. The Zurhaar fiasco in the last quarter where he sold Wardlaw into an ADJ tackle was absurdist football at its best. He just took over the second quarter, he's going to be such a good player when he is older and fitter. Great player now.

Corr destroyed Langford. Probably his best game for the club. From pillar to post. A shining light.

I've absolutely given up on the season and I hate footy. But all I want to see when I watch is signs of life. I think there were enough signs of life, both as a team and for individual players, that I will subject myself to this bullshit against next week.
Great read. Nailed it

Forward line is absolutely our Achilles heel yet we look to make little or no change down there? We have no electric small forwards, Larkey is a 1 trick pony and we have 1000 medium sized forwards with seemingly no flexibility to play anywhere else or impact the scoreboard.
To be blunt I don't think it's a lack of will - we don't have the players without robbing elsewhere. A player like Wardlaw would have a field day down there for us.

I said before the game that if we finish within 40, I'd take it. And lo' and behold...

Why do I still feel empty though? Maybe we're meant to w....w.... win occasionally?

The first half was enjoyable because as Clarko said at halftime "we're not normally in the game at this point" (Paraphrased)

To repeat others, Scott and Tucker were the pits, however I still back Scott because of his ability to find the pill and don't want Stephens until he racks up 10+ tackles in the magoos 3 weeks in a row. That being said I wouldn't be against dropping Scott if McKercher is available.

Tucker however can go straight into the Ocean.

Curtis Taylor had his moments but getting out-bodied by Tstatas in the goal square was the second most embarrassing moment of the match in my eyes. Maybe hide a couple of Pink Mitsubishi's in the weights room and he might accidentally put on some muscle.

The most embarrassing individual moment was Zurhaar flat out giving up in the middle about halfway through the third quarter.

Our midfield buggered it up as they are known to do, Zurhaar went early to try and get an advantage (nothing wrong with that) however when Powell effed up the handball it went to Z's man. Zurhaar, instead of chasing his direct opponent who was within arms reach, immediately cracked the sads and slowed to a walk while putting his hands on his hips shaking his head.

Like I said in the gameday chat, I get it mate, we suck, but for Christs sake don't give me this "I want to see improvement" tripe when you're putting in pea-heart displays like that.

Playing with a scowl doesn't mean you're trying as hard as you could be.

Other random thoughts.

-I love Comben.

-I love Bergman, the injury is rotten, just needs a damn 10 game stretch.

-Ford should be on the wing but his interrupted pre-season rules that out.

-Sick of our older blokes not playing the whistle and whining to the umps mid-play, I'm now seeing it in the younger brigade. Horrific role-models in that regard.

-Dawson was fine all things considered, agree with the idea that he should have been taken off Wright more often just to get the most of the experience. Harrison Jones would have made more sense to me but it's hard to tell on the telly.

-Xerri is very important and having a strong season, but he needs to improve his peripheral vision, got in the way of a few chains/stomped over his own blokes today.

-Chaz had a stinker, really poor timing for him given his contract status.

-Pink is a spud but is far from a pressing issue in the team. He at least demands half of a defenders attention.

-Duurs is a gem, but would benefit from playing in the twos.

-Wardlaw & Sheez give me hope.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy autopsy v * in it for more than half a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back