Autopsy Autopsy vs Carlton & the Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Occasionally I comment about Umpires. Today I have nothing to say about them. Especially #17 and #37.
Changed my mind because I absent mindedly forgot to include umpire #1 in the comment I didn't make above.

Look, I know that moaning about umpires is a national pastime and everybody thinks they were hard done by but no independent viewer could possibly have watched that game today and thought the umpiring even approached being even handed. It was appalling. A disgrace. That #37 paid a free down our end late in the game and the crowd spat the dummy, you could see the follicles on his head bristle, the veins on his next were pulsating, his face flushed and he went into a robotic stance, to signal the mark and line up the carlton player. He 100% knew he was wrong and the jeers from the crowd made him defiant. Did I mention it was number 37? Perhaps I did. I'm not sure. 37.

Umpires: Chris Donlon (1), John Howorth (17), Brent Wallace (33), Martin Rodger (37)

Other than one bad kick into 50, I didn't think that Howe was too bad this week

duck and cover documentary GIF by Kino Lorber
6 turnovers from 18 touches. Turnovers kill you the way the game is played these days. I don’t like potting our own but when I saw him get his first touch my response was “what the Fk why is he playing”…I’d almost say Howe and the umpires were the difference tonight. Love to see him probe me wrong but early evidence is he just turns it over way too much, looks to be poor decision making rather than skill errors and just don’t think he’s up to it. Much prefer to see Perez, Goater, Hall, Archer, Bergman, and even Youngbinbthe team.

The effort and endeavour was there today. Proud of the effort. The umpire factor and the Logue and McKay outs were just too much for us in the end. Curnow and McKay did what good players do when given ’lesser’ opponents.
LDU looked a bit off today, Ziebel is playing and moving really well, Tucker is impressing me, Greenwood made an impact when he came on, Phillips has to be playing 1sts every week and lastly Sheezel is going to be top shelf. Can’t remember seeing a first year player make such an immediate impact at North since I started following us over 40 years ago. Great seeing a big crowd at a home game. Liked the pre match banner with the ‘real superheroes‘ running through it. Should have always been North v Carlton from the beginning.

How does the game change if we had our defenders? Less easy inside deliveries being marker for sure. Less fatigue from constantly chasing and get back to help defend?

But we knew this was going to be a midfield game for us to stand any chance.

So what went wrong?
Delivery inside 50?
Errors through the middle?
Not converting?

You didn’t think that was actually a 50 though did you?

Definitely a free kick, but the infringement was in the contest IMHO.
Deadset correct. There was no second action.

Carlton players knew they were getting the rub from the umps and they were genuinely playing for frees. At least a couple of times Curnow was under pressure, chased the ball but didn't take possession, but allowed himself to be tackled. The ump was only to pleased to oblige him. OK, that's experience and it can fool a defender but if a player is not genuinely playing the ball then they do not deserve free kicks in my opinion. He'd already been gifted at least a couple of goals by then.

Stephenson took nine steps.... Ffs
Yep, I counted them too on the replay! That was the worst of a lot of bad decisions today. He bounced the ball TWICE and I reckon the ump missed both of them. Almost certain goal taken away from us that might have been a momentum changer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot to work with. The umpiring muddies any proper analysis of the performance as with a fair run , who knows what that outcome would be.

Anyway - I reckon most of our 'good' players got a pass. Goldy lowered his colours and I fear he could struggle being double teamed. For the first time in his career, I reckon he needs a chop out from a second ruck. Larkey was injured/poor. Cunnington was unusually fumbly. Everyone else was alright.

Obviously exposed down back. I thought Corr and Bonar did as best they could. Again, the umpiring flattered McKay and Curnow. Bonar isn't a defensive second tall and as a result, isn't best 22. Corr is there a third defender, who has spent most of his time at North playing on gorillas. He desperately needs Logue and Buckets back.

There are some guys there who just aren't good enough...yet. Powell, Comben, Phillips, Curtis should all make it. But let's face it, they are playing under the "Get games into the kids" mantra. That's where we're at. Patience. Patience. Patience.

And then there's the rest. In a good team, they could be turned into 'role players'. Worse players have played in Premierships and Grand Finals. In an ordinary team their limitations are exposed. I'm looking at you Scott, Turner, Taylor. 50-gamers who should have shown more. Not bad footballers. It's just we're looking for better than 'not bad'.

I liked the imports today. Shiels is doing exactly what he was put there for. Tucker was excellent when the game was alive, Greenwood was good when he got on and Howe was (ducks for cover) not bad. At least he keeps genuine potatoes like Mahony and Lazzaro out of the team.

The main positives were:
  • Sheezel. Scchhhhwing!!!!!
  • We more than matched them for three quarters.
  • The last quarter. Yeah, a bit of junk time but 2020-22 had that as a 10 goal loss. In fact last year we matched them for a half then lost by 50.
  • 29 scoring shots. The most we've had since Browny's 10 against Port at the end of 2019. All without any input at all from Larkey or Comben. For the first time in forever, we found a way to score. Sadly, that score included 18 behinds (the most we've had since Hawthorn in 2016).

View attachment 1652904

+
Sheez has the RS sown up… at Rd 4
Larkey with statically his worst game in years, which is incredibly rare
No Logue, No McKay
LDU will win a Brownlow
Best game this year from Stevo
Scott went well
Book an priest for the next few games, Chom will bury someone
Watching on TV in Sydney, Larkey was injured and clearly impaired. He did a great job to continue on.

Proud of the effort, they could've dropped their heads and gave up but they didn't. Sheez was awesome despite not feeling like he had a great game.
Umpiring was bad but we're probably going to get the rookie umps in general being wooden spooners.
Felt if we'd kicked a couple of goals at crucial times as well we might've made things interesting the last qtr.
Still feel we've got a long way to go. Cycle in and out the young guys with a mix of these Howe/Shiels/Boner/Tucker types whilst the young kids get a taste at AFL level and then develop at VFL level.
Comben just needs to clunk some marks and snag a few goals but we just need to keep pumping games into him unless CCJ is back in form.
We need a bit more forward pressure and runners through midfield, especially the wings, we don't have much depth there unless Lazzaro comes on.
Key position as well obviously needs to be addressed but we all know that.

I’d almost say Howe and the umpires were the difference tonight.
Thats quite a stretch to put the game onto Howe, and just ignoring a lot of other things to make him the fall guy. Its getting a bit ridiculous the way that he is talked about on here.

He had 83% disposal efficiency, only 2 clangers and 3 scire involvements.

Last edited:
Deadset correct. There was no second action.

Carlton players knew they were getting the rub from the umps and they were genuinely playing for frees. At least a couple of times Curnow was under pressure, chased the ball but didn't take possession, but allowed himself to be tackled. The ump was only to pleased to oblige him. OK, that's experience and it can fool a defender but if a player is not genuinely playing the ball then they do not deserve free kicks in my opinion. He'd already been gifted at least a couple of goals by then.

One time on the members' wing, Curnow ran into the back of one of our players and then threw himself to the ground. Not quite sure what free kick he was playing for but I imagine he was shocked that he didn't get it.

Was an enjoyable game to watch if you couldn’t see yellow. We continue to show great improvement. Loved the game of Tucker, looks a great addition. Midfield was solid, Will and Tommy need to keep playing. Not much out of Larks and Chom this week. Paul Curtis was poor and Curtis Taylor is a real conundrum. He does some great things but his disposal feels like a relic from the Noble years. Not sure he’s best 22 for much longer. We played until the final siren so the final margin felt about right.

A lot to work with. The umpiring muddies any proper analysis of the performance as with a fair run , who knows what that outcome would be.

Anyway - I reckon most of our 'good' players got a pass. Goldy lowered his colours and I fear he could struggle being double teamed. For the first time in his career, I reckon he needs a chop out from a second ruck. Larkey was injured/poor. Cunnington was unusually fumbly. Everyone else was alright.

Obviously exposed down back. I thought Corr and Bonar did as best they could. Again, the umpiring flattered McKay and Curnow. Bonar isn't a defensive second tall and as a result, isn't best 22. Corr is there a third defender, who has spent most of his time at North playing on gorillas. He desperately needs Logue and Buckets back.

There are some guys there who just aren't good enough...yet. Powell, Comben, Phillips, Curtis should all make it. But let's face it, they are playing under the "Get games into the kids" mantra. That's where we're at. Patience. Patience. Patience.

And then there's the rest. In a good team, they could be turned into 'role players'. Worse players have played in Premierships and Grand Finals. In an ordinary team their limitations are exposed. I'm looking at you Scott, Turner, Taylor. 50-gamers who should have shown more. Not bad footballers. It's just we're looking for better than 'not bad'.

I liked the imports today. Shiels is doing exactly what he was put there for. Tucker was excellent when the game was alive, Greenwood was good when he got on and Howe was (ducks for cover) not bad. At least he keeps genuine potatoes like Mahony and Lazzaro out of the team.

The main positives were:
  • Sheezel. Scchhhhwing!!!!!
  • We more than matched them for three quarters.
  • The last quarter. Yeah, a bit of junk time but 2020-22 had that as a 10 goal loss. In fact last year we matched them for a half then lost by 50.
  • 29 scoring shots. The most we've had since Browny's 10 against Port at the end of 2019. All without any input at all from Larkey or Comben. For the first time in forever, we found a way to score. Sadly, that score included 18 behinds (the most we've had since Hawthorn in 2016).
I thought Scott was very good, again.

Thats quite a stretch to put the game onto Howe, and just ignoring a lot of other things to make him the fall guy. Its getting a bit ridiculous the way that he is talked about on here.
Yeah. Not a massive Howe fan, which is only to say that he hasn’t won me over yet.

But lumping him in with the Charlie Curnow fan club is just the worst kind of whipping boy stuff.

Well, losing a key player to a long-term injury can be costly for a club, and X is a key player for us. Was absolutely killing WCE before he went down, hurts to think about what this season could've been for him. Have to remember that this coaching panel considers Goldy the depth ruckman.
Add X to the list of returnees / inclusions for the latter part of the season. This team will be better off with half a dozen changes using players already on the list and as competitive as it was today, I think we'd rather that the same 23 that ran out today are never assembled as a team again. Even two or three changes would have made a difference. Generally we're OK with top end talent but fall away badly with the last five or six. Today we were missing it at the top and the bottom of the spectrum, but there are some good players there too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Autopsy vs Carlton & the Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Back