Autopsy Autopsy vs Geelong - Geelong think so little of us that at one stage their starting midfield was Stanley/Bruhn/Dempsey/Atkins & they won the clearance

Remove this Banner Ad

Plain and simple Midfield got destroyed. Part of that has to be coaching, Xerri won the taps often but needs time to build a connection with our midfield. Wardlaw back in should help. Simpkin was poor before he went out, hasn’t been right for most of the season I reckon. LDU great game around the ground but really needed him to win a bit more clearance, can’t do everything though can he. Thomas as well very poor before being played free. so much better once Zurhaar went in there.

Forward line somewhat functioned when it went down there. Ford, Curtis and Harvey brought more pressure than they have all year. CCJ had a shocker, shame we don’t have someone to replace him with as of now. Didn’t convert as well as we should have. Stephenson done nothing, he’s an opportunist but the pressure just is not there right now, Harvey, Curtis, Ford have all upped their pressure so why can’t he?

Defence wasn’t actually that bad, we just leaked inside 50s, not much they can do. LMac and Corr did improve, and McKay was great I thought. Ball use could be better but they were under so much pressure. Perez and Young weren’t bad, I’d keep them in for next week. Desperately needed more speed back there though, far out. Feels like maybe if Goater & Archer could have played they would have presented as much better match ups for Henry & Stengle.

Shoutout Laz, he played exactly as he has in the VFL, clean and finding pockets of space to spread.

Also need to keep playing Sheez up forward, no point using him as a stopgap down back while we have no class back there, he’s needed up the ground, let him build there.

Marking under no pressure is such an elusive skill reserved only for elite players.

Can’t wait for our boys to learn marking.

At the ground today we:

• looked unprepared for AFL football
  • have way too many players who cannot run to AFL standard.

The forward line doesn't push up hard enough, isn't urgent enough to help the midfield and get back when required. It doesn't work nearly hard enough to connect with the midfield. It is a big part of the problem. Geelong's forwards worked up and back way harder.

The midfield was absolutely atrocious in that first half. Watching Simpkin - he couldn't have been further from the ruckmen at stoppages while his man continually got in front. He had zero impact. As a group, they looked so reactive, like they'd been instructed to tag and not play the ball. The midfield didn't work back to help the defence in transition. Thomas' transition running fitness is non-existent but he's not the only one.

The backline was under siege but half the time they don"t man up and when they actually do, they ironically become too conscious of their opponent and don't play the ball. Then there's McDonald's lack of awareness and turnovers.

The whole team lacks anticipation, doesn't accelerate to man up until it's too late because they're on the verge of exhaustion all the time. They lack the resilience to defend turnovers because they're collectively unfit and lazy.

People have been so against Larkey being captain but what is the issue exactly?
Larkey was frankly quite poor in the first half of the season. Others disagree and that's fine. We don't need to litigate it in this thread.

But your captain needs to demonstrate sustained consistency, and I doubt even Larkey's biggest supporters can argue that he doesn't have a history of disappearing for patches.

Luke McDonald apparently garnered 111 fantasy points, which only confirms it really is a fantasy competition. I thought his contest work was downright feeble, and when he tries to be a playmaker....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No heart, no ticker, no structure in zone, players clueless and running out of position. Just ****ing insipid, piss poor and no ****ing heart. The first 5 minutes was good then it disappeared. Mauled in clearances, the one thing we have been good at all year was non existent. Turnovers again, piss poor, handballs going behind players and to feet is just becoming a piss take right now

Was actually ill during the week. Low energy today hence he was managed.

Was absent entirely from the Saturday morning captain's run.

Larkey was frankly quite poor in the first half of the season. Others disagree and that's fine. We don't need to litigate it in this thread.

But your captain needs to demonstrate sustained consistency, and I doubt even Larkey's biggest supporters can argue that he doesn't have a history of disappearing for patches.
I get that but Jy hasn't exactly set the world on fire either and he's in the middle where he should be getting heaps of it.

I'm just sick of the lack of standards. They are not driving it. Larkey's elite goal kicking is an example of a bloke that has worked hard to get it right.

That first quarter was terrible, perhaps the worst quarter of football we have dished out this year, but after that I don't think we were too bad. Not great by any measure, but we were competitive and didn't give up like we have done in previous seasons.

Corr, Logue and McKay cannot play together, we are too top heavy and slow in defense with the three in the team.

Harvey was very good in his first game, showed some real promise, took a number of contested marks and kicked a great goal. He should play for the rest of the season.

LDU went missing for large periods, but was still our best, he struggled to break away from the contest but still looked damaging with ball in hand in the forward half.

Ford was very good on the wing as was Scott, and Lazzaro, Tucker and Young provided some good moments despite being under pressure for the entire day.

Xerri struggled, I think we will be in real trouble in the future if he is the replacement for Goldstein, I'm not sure he is an AFL quality player.

Fingers crossed Logue nothing serious

It’s very us to have an injury from someone just chasing an opponent and falling over themselves

This shouldn’t save Ziebell tho. He needs to stay sub or be properly dropped
He actually walked off in front of us without his boots looking quite normal so hopefully not too bad.

That first quarter was terrible, perhaps the worst quarter of football we have dished out this year, but after that I don't think we were too bad. Not great by any measure, but we were competitive and didn't give up like we have done in previous seasons.

Corr, Logue and McKay cannot play together, we are too top heavy and slow in defense with the three in the team.

Harvey was very good in his first game, showed some real promise, took a number of contested marks and kicked a great goal. He should play for the rest of the season.

LDU went missing for large periods, but was still our best, he struggled to break away from the contest but still looked damaging with ball in hand in the forward half.

Ford was very good on the wing as was Scott, and Lazzaro, Tucker and Young provided some good moments despite being under pressure for the entire day.

Xerri struggled, I think we will be in real trouble in the future if he is the replacement for Goldstein, I'm not sure he is an AFL quality player.
First game back after a broken ankle. I think some allowance is in order. But as for CCJ....

I get that but Jy hasn't exactly set the world on fire either and he's in the middle where he should be getting heaps of it.

I'm just sick of the lack of standards. They are not driving it. Larkey's elite goal kicking is an example of a bloke that has worked hard to get it right.
All fair comments.

I think Jy could be a good captain but he has had a down season. I'd give him a crack again next season.

McDonald on the other hand absolutely cannot be captain.

Future captain candidates are clearly LDU, Sheezel, Wardlaw, and Phillips. But none of them would be ready in 2024 with the exception of LDU.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Autopsy vs Geelong - Geelong think so little of us that at one stage their starting midfield was Stanley/Bruhn/Dempsey/Atkins & they won the clearance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back