Prediction Best 22 - 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Few getting a bit carried away with the draftees here. Bon has never been one to play draftees early (except LMac), and with one of the most experienced lists in the league, the chances of any of the draftees getting much game time this year are very slim.
He also used to be no fan of taggers, but we ended up playing a final with 2, the times, they are a changin :)

Few getting a bit carried away with the draftees here. Bon has never been one to play draftees early (except LMac), and with one of the most experienced lists in the league, the chances of any of the draftees getting much game time this year are very slim.

True. In years past when we have had weaker lineups, Zeibell, Bastinac, Cunnington and Atley got plenty of game time. McDonald had a years development at VFL level before being drafted so he's probably an exceptional case.

I think Clarke could buck the trend here. He's as "ready to go" a draftee that we've had in recent memory. It's a tough ask for him though as there are plenty of quality players in contention.

Hi guys, just curious to hear what kind of role wells will be given? Wing, small forward or perhaps inside midfielder?

Cheers
Just read this little snippet in an interview with JMac referring to Wells...

"He's had effectively two years off and he's cherry-ripe to go, his passion for the game is still there, so he really wants to improve and especially with the other forwards down there, he's got a good bond with them."

Just read this little snippet in an interview with JMac referring to Wells...

"He's had effectively two years off and he's cherry-ripe to go, his passion for the game is still there, so he really wants to improve and especially with the other forwards down there, he's got a good bond with them."
It seems like the club is setting up the midfield-forward rotation as the way to go with a big bunch of our players. Wells and Boomer likely as mixing fairly evenly between mid and forward, Cunners and JZ as mids with occasional stints forward, and Higgins, LT, Anderson, and Garner as predominantly forwards with rotations through the midfield. Makes for a bloody scary forward line. Quality everywhere.

True. In years past when we have had weaker lineups, Zeibell, Bastinac, Cunnington and Atley got plenty of game time. McDonald had a years development at VFL level before being drafted so he's probably an exceptional case.

I think Clarke could buck the trend here. He's as "ready to go" a draftee that we've had in recent memory. It's a tough ask for him though as there are plenty of quality players in contention.

Agree that Clarke looks fantastic but this is going to be a very difficult team to get into this year. Regardless of some opinions here, Gibson will play every game until someone breaks every door down in Arden St for his spot. With Anderson's arrival and Wells' early season fitness and form, I just don't think there will be a spot for any midfielder unless there are some injuries.

Higgo and JMac were 7 and 8, Thompson needs to lift his game before he gets picked in the first 6-10 players.
Ah. You said half dozen.

But since we're here Thompson is part of the leadership. So was Gibson last year. Everyone else was so very sure he was gone every week. They were always wrong and blind about why.

Leadership group is immune. Wake up people.

The NAB Cup will tell us plenty as to whether any of the young'uns (Fordham, Clarke, Hibberd) could actually force their way into the side. That said, I reckon Mr Joel is right re. security of the incumbents. You would hope that Fordham and Clarke are setting their sights on Gibbo's spot but they better realise he won't give it up in a hurry. Also with Spitta and Jacobs still building their fitness, we can rest assured that we have Dumont and Clarke as ready-made replacements.

The most in form players should be picked.

Regardless of age.

If we are serious, the team should look a little different to the one that took the field in the prelim. We need to change some things up to go forward IMO. On the same hand we shouldn't be gifting games to anybody

Was just about to post something similar. Firrito (what's he done wrong that so many want to drop him?) and Ryan 'Baker's Dozen' Clarke definitely ahead, and the other two as well probably. Depends a bit on the opposition match ups. Want to see more reliability from Luke, especially in disposal efficiency; no point being a defender if you're handing it back.
I also find it strange at the amount of people that want Firrito out of the side. It's odd that supporters would want one of their better performers out of the mix.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I also find it strange at the amount of people that want Firrito out of the side. It's odd that supporters would want one of their better performers out of the mix.

It's odd. There seems to be an element that would rather be competing to be the best young team rather than the best team. If his form slips, then fair enough he's out. If the team was not in contention then he most likely wouldn't be in.

At the moment, his form is good, we're contending, he's hard and experienced. He's in.

If we are serious, the team should look a little different to the one that took the field in the prelim. We need to change some things up to go forward IMO. On the same hand we shouldn't be gifting games to anybody

With Wells and Anderson in, plus a fit Thomas that's a difference to start with.

B Michael Firrito, Scott D. Thompson, Shaun Atley

HB Lachlan Hansen, Jamie Macmillan, Sam Gibson

C Sam Wright, Jack Ziebell, Ben Jacobs

HF Shaun Higgins, Drew Petrie, Nick Dal Santo

F Kayne Turner, Jarrad Waite, Brent Harvey

Fol Todd Goldstein, Andrew Swallow, Ben Cunnington

I/C Ben Brown, Lindsay Thomas, Taylor Garner, Robbie Tarrant

Hard to see who comes out of that side. Turner for Anderson is the only obvious one for mine. Wells in for someone.

Could that be the slowest midfield in the history of the AFL?

I'm not totally against Gibbo playing back pocket on Betts, I certainly won't be there to see it live so the lasting memory won't haunt my dreams forever, but if Wrighty is too slow, Jamie is too poor defensively and Ats is too busy going on runs through the guts...

Who the flip plays on him?

Jacobs?

Could that be the slowest midfield in the history of the AFL?

I'm not totally against Gibbo playing back pocket on Betts, I certainly won't be there to see it live so the lasting memory won't haunt my dreams forever, but if Wrighty is too slow, Jamie is too poor defensively and Ats is too busy going on runs through the guts...

Who the flip plays on him?

Jacobs?
Thompson, as he has done many times.

Taz on Tex, Spud on Jenkins, Wright on Lynch.

I would have Jamie on Lynch, but the rest sounds right.

Wrighty can go to Douglas.
Macmillan will be used as a sweeper, cleaning up in the back half and pushing up through the wings. You need a dedicated defender on Lynch and despite your dislike of Wright he is the best man for the job. It also allows the team to set up they way they want to and play according to predetermined methods.

B Michael Firrito, Scott D. Thompson, Shaun Atley

HB Lachlan Hansen, Jamie Macmillan, Sam Gibson

C Sam Wright, Jack Ziebell, Ben Jacobs

HF Shaun Higgins, Drew Petrie, Nick Dal Santo

F Kayne Turner, Jarrad Waite, Brent Harvey

Fol Todd Goldstein, Andrew Swallow, Ben Cunnington

I/C Ben Brown, Lindsay Thomas, Taylor Garner, Robbie Tarrant

Hard to see who comes out of that side. Turner for Anderson is the only obvious one for mine. Wells in for someone.
Didn't Tarrant play the prelim?

B: Wright - Thompson - Hansen

HB: Atley - Tarrant - Mullett

C: Higgins - Jacobs - Macmillan

HF: Harvey - Petrie- Wells

FF: Thomas - Waite - Wood

FOLL: Goldstien - Swallow - Cunnington

INT: Ziebell, Dal Santo, Garner, Anderson

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Best 22 - 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back