Biggest roar you've ever heard

Remove this Banner Ad

2 games stand out for me

first one was in the mid-late 90's against collingwood, was a fri night game and crowd was 80k, was a perfect night for footy and ppl were still streaming into the ground at qtr time. We had a handy 2-3 goal lead all game, everytime the pies would challenge and get within a kick we'd kick away - then finally in the last qtr, the pies had a bit of a run on and were a couple points down, On a quick counter attack ala pagans paddock, Burns received the ball in acres of space outside 50 on southern stand wing kicking to the punt road end, and proceeded to run it all the way in to the goal line, so you can imagine that 6-7 second run set the collingwood crowd alight waiting for it to go through and when he finally buried it into the crowd from the goal square, i swear the roof just about blew off the southern stand. Thought they were home but we managed to kick away and win by abt 14 in the end.

second time was 1995 semi against the bombers, down by about 5 goals at halftime and we got a run on in the 3rd quarter. Naish's goal was insanely loud. Every mark and goal we kicked after that was like a celebration, you knew we were home, but from memory Naish's goal was the 3rd or 4th goal on the trot in the 3rd quarter and i remember thinking if he slots this, we've got them, reckon 45-50k tiger supporters thought the same, nuts.

Duff's goal that sealed the win at about 2:20

Also, Peter Siddle's hat-trick caused a pretty loud response. I watched it at home and cranked up the TV when he was on hat-trick. It was amazing, I wish I was at the Gabba that day.

The biggest individual roar I've ever heard was after Dane Swan burst from a pack (somewhere) and kicked the opening goal of (I think) a preliminary final (can't remember the year)
I was sadly amongst Essendon supporters on ANZAC day. Was also a loud roar.
Irrelevant, but best game I've gone to was the 2007 preliminary. I remember the crowd was 98,002 and I'd just managed to get tickets. Close, dramatic and with so much to play for, especially as the winner would probably have gone on to win the Premiership (although these sort of predictions are hard to make)

Loudest in person was Karmichael's first goal in the AFL, sent shivers down my spine.

On telly, the Zaharakis ANZAC goal was pretty epic

The prelim final vs Essendon at the SCG in '96 when plugger kicked the point after the siren. Absolutely deafening.
Yep, that's the one that sprung to mind for me as well.

40 odd thousand people making the noise of 100,000. It was amazing stuff.

Don't have the Youtbe of it but when Mercuri kicked a goal in the 3rd quarter of the 1993 Preliminary Final, Channel 7's effects microphones copped 75500 Essendon supporters completely losing it.

I went to that game and those words pretty much sum it up perfectly. Amazingly loud!

Watching the replay the actual camera shakes and the microphone crackles.

2nd for me was Anthony Roccas goal v Adelaide in the 02 Prelim.

I was under the Ponsford at the time and the place felt like it was going to come down! (which it did a couple of weeks later but may have helped the construction crew) ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond have the loudest fans in the AFL end thread.
PD-UprtFan-L.jpg

You can't always capture the atmosphere on video, but the loudest I remember at a game

- LeCras goal v Carlton in the semi final last year
- Lynch goal from the pocket during the Mexican Wave, against Adelaide R24 last year
- Embley goal against Carlton R11 2006, put us in front late in the last after being 44 points down
- Naitanui's third goal agains Hawthorn in his second game

95 2nd semi final, rich v ess. tigers down by 30 pts at half time and in those days 30 pts felt like 10 goals. chris naish kicked a goal in the 3rd to take the lead... roar from the tiger army was unbelievable...

An almost mythic moment. As if all the frustration of all the years was expelled in a moment. The Tiger Army at its loudest and most engaged.

I wouldn't say that this was the loudest, but it was up there. The roar after Gardiner's mark against Geelong in Round 14, 2009 was pretty big.

Two unbeaten sides coming up against each other in front of a packed Docklands crowd with the roof closed. Scores level with only a couple minutes left when Gardiner came from nowhere and took the grab. The excitement was somewhat quelled though, because we had to wait for Gardiner's kick due to the Geelong player being taken off the field after having his head smashed by Gardiner's elbow.

Melbourne coming out onto the ground round 1 this year was huge. I was at the banner in front of the members. The shock at three quarter time was equally deafening. Collingwood fans cheered very loudly a couple of weeks back, Richmond fans are ridiculously loud too.

Not being a smartass, but I really hope that wasn't the loudest roar you've ever heard at the footy...

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest roar you've ever heard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back