Biggest roar you've ever heard

Remove this Banner Ad

Lockett's after the siren point at the SCG which got us into the 1996 GF.

Nick Davis' last goal of four, against Geelong, again at the SCG, whic pretty much won us the p'ship in 2005.

last years roar after the final siren at the semi final. left goosebumps all over me.

in terms on tv, would have to be collingwood in 2010 and also back with us in 06 against carlton when we came back by 40 odd points at subiaco.

That game against Carlton was insane. Dead quiet all game. I was in the top tier city side and was going off my nut at everyone there, telling them to get off their arses and inspire the side. They just looked dumbfounded that they could have any ability to contribute. Then we stormed home and it was nuts.

1992 Elimination Final was the best crowd I've been part of. Absolutely electric.

There was also a SoO game between WA and the Allies in the mid 90s, Scott Cummings got us back into it and I think we almost got the lead or hit the lead before the Allies pulled away. Tiny crowd but massive noise.

The Qualifier at Subi against the swans in 05 was pretty damn loud.
Also the Friday night game against Geelong last year was very loud, was a great atmosphere that night.

For me personally of what I've been to live...

Stuart Dew's second goal in the 3rd of the '08 Grand Final, it wasn't the loudest I've ever heard but at the time I thought I wouldn't hear one louder than that again (I've been to all 4 of Geelong's recent GF's and there was nothing in '07 as loud as that).

That was topped the next year though in the '09 Grand Final when Max Rooke soccered through the point that put us 7 points up, after the Chappy goal. That roar was insane, unbelievable for a point.

Now for the biggest two. Second place was the '07 prelim about 5 minutes to go and Ablett broke from a stoppage, burst the pack and snapped a goal from just inside 50. put us 2 goals up and we were able to hang on from there. At the ground it felt like a sealer at the time but I don't think anyone realised there was that much time left.

And the single loudest roar I've ever heard live, without question is...

Absolutely nothing like it, it was unreal.

2 that stand out for me...

1. Chappy's goal in the 09 Grand Final to put the cats in front
2. Goddard's goal in the 2010 Granny after that huge grab

Storm fans are defo loud...went to Manly on Monday night tho and the atmosphere was pathetic...Sydney sporting fans are a total joke

for me it was at a storm paramatta match in 2004 had never been to a rugby game and didnt understand the game at the time but when the storm won 5000 ppl went absoulutely nuts... suppose the fireworks helped too :p

Not Footy but the roar at Homebush when Aloisi scored the winning penalty in 2005 is still something I'm grateful to have been of. Nothing will ever get close

With footy it could be when Cyril took that screamer in the game in late 2008 right in front of the members at the MCG.

Legend has it when tony lockett kicked the point after the siren in the 1996 prelim final the roar could be heard up in Newcastle.

Something that's now gone from Kardinia Park was the roar that used to be created by the now demolished Doug Wade stand. The stand wasn't all that big, but it had a tin roof that amplified the noise something cronic. If you sat in there during a close game with Geelong kicking to that end in the last quarter, your would come home with a headache.

This is one of the loudest examples of it.

Loudest roar I've heard was in the 2006 (?) Commonwealth Games, when Craig Mottram came around the back straight at the MCG in an effort to pinch a silver... or bronze, or gold, can't remember. Each time he passed us down the back straight (was right in it for the last 3 laps), the noise was absolutely deafening. Louder than anything I've heard at the footy I think. Think it was the 5,000m.

Footy-wise, the loudest roar I've heard would probably be Chappy's goal in the 09 GF, or perhaps Ablett's goal in the 07 prelim.

Craig Mottram running the 5,000m at the G in the 2006 Commonwealth Games. He was right in it during the last 2 or 3 laps and each time he passed in front of us down the back straight, the roar reached insane volume. And the roar was like a mexican wave, following him as he went, but still was louder than anything I've heard at the footy when theoretically half or even 60-70% of the attendees roar simultaneously.

Footywise it would probably be the Chappy goal in the 09 GF, or the Ablett goal in the 07 prelim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know why but the atmosphere at the G seemed so much better with the old Ponsford and Olympic stands, the atmosphere when there was a big game there in the 90's was amazing.

skip to 3:23
- apart from that, any game in Melbourne that Richmond is winning.​

Richmond hitting the lead against Essendon in the 95 semi and also a few weeks back in the last quarter was very loud.
Been a few over the years but I was at the G also as a kid one evening when Dennis Lillee ripped through the west indies top order and when he knocked Vivs pegs over that has stayed with me forever. The noise was ridiculous.

Was lucky enough to get a couple of tickets to the UEFA Champions league final, Bayern Munich v Valencia at the San Siro(cap85,000) in Milan 2001, . At one end there was 30k loud and drunk Bavarians and on the other end 30k Spanish nutters letting off crackers and flares(the remaining tix were for all the freeloaders like myself). When the teams came out and whenever they attacked the noise would be totally ear bursting, I have never, ever experienced noise like it. I had to scream into my wifes ear next to me.
To put this into context I've seen soccer games at Wembley, Anfield, Old Trafford, Highbury and all over Greece. Been to all the big Socceroo WCQ's over the decades and have worked at the MCG as a ground attendant for over 20 years and seen heaps and heaps of huge footy games there.
I worked at the Hawthorn cheer squad end in the 2008 GF. The 3rd qtr was probably the loudest and craziest I've experienced in my time at the 'G.
I reckon when you're nuetral you feel and hear the loudness more. When you're team is involved you're too busy going mental to 'listen'.

Not being a smartass, but I really hope that wasn't the loudest roar you've ever heard at the footy...

No it wasn't (I was still in shock at how loud it was). That honour goes to round 21 in 2005 when Jeff White kicked the goal to put us in front (already posted). Geelong when Hawkins kicked their 37th last year went off too.

Feel sorry for you blokes, seems like you missed out on....

Probably the 4 loudest I've ever heard in succession, the McPharlin run down, the Longmuir mark, the pandemonium of the siren sounding and then of course when he slotted the goal. Special night for a Freo fan.

I wasnt lucky enough to be at that game, however i can still remember watching it. That Mcpharlin run down still gives me shivers today.

One that hasn't been mentioned was the roar in the home straight of Makybe Diva's third Melbourne Cup. Was watching at home that day but when Greg Miles first calls her hitting the lead I don't think I've heard a louder roar through the TV during a horse race.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back