Biggest roar you've ever heard

Remove this Banner Ad

This was the video I recorded when Lance kicked for goal against Adelaide in the 2007 elimination final. Kind of captures the atmosphere that afternoon.

2007 Preliminary Final after the national anthem, after the final siren in the 2010 Preliminary Final or when Jack Anthony kicked the goal against Adelaide 2009 Semi.

There is a point where the noise is so loud you can't really hear it anymore, just white noise, but you can FEEL it. I've experienced it four times - 1979 TFL Grand Final when underdogs Clarence hit the front in the dying seconds, 1996 Prelim at the SCG when Plugger kicked the point, 2000 Olympics women's 400m final when Cathy Freeman raced in front of 112,000 and there was just a wall of sound energy from start to finish and well beyond, 2005 semi final at the SCG. In both cases at the SCG you can see the TV director cue to a different camera because the one they were viewing was shaking too much. Incidentally neither Sydney/West Coast grand final was as noisy at any time.

I am unfamiliar with this particular game, thank you for explaining it in such detail...

Compliments of the Internet my friend.........but I do remember it vividly and nothing will ever compare to actually being there. We had two young American Lads sitting in front of us, about 20 rows back from the goals and when he took the mark it they went absolutely nuts. When he kicked it I lost them in the crowd frenzy.......chrikey it was funny! After the match I spoke to both of them and they said they have never experienced such a crowd in all their travels. Not a bad rap, eh?

One-upped. Too young to be there personally, but thought it seemed relevant. game that got us to the finals for the first time since '64. You don't hear a crowd reacting like that much to another team hitting the front.

Easily the biggest roar was at a Richmond vs. Hawthorn game in Round 21 at the Docklands in 2005.

Only 30,000 people there but we needed to lose the game to secure a priority pick.

Tigers were having their usual 9th sort of season and their fans were excited as they were coming back in the last quarter.

We kept turning it over to them in the last quarter but Richo and the other silly clowns kept kicking points. When the Tigers finally hit the front at the 29 minute mark the roof lifted off the "Dome".

Both sets of supporters were absolutely delighted that Richmond had won

(Log in to remove this ad.)

for me it was at a storm paramatta match in 2004 had never been to a rugby game and didnt understand the game at the time but when the storm won 5000 ppl went absoulutely nuts... suppose the fireworks helped too :p

Duff's goal that sealed the win at about 2:20

Also, Peter Siddle's hat-trick caused a pretty loud response. I watched it at home and cranked up the TV when he was on hat-trick. It was amazing, I wish I was at the Gabba that day.

Was sitting the wing that he ran down. Truly amazing

Also, Duffields goal against Geelong in '10 Lowers goal against the Bulldogs on Anzac day last year

Feel sorry for you blokes, seems like you missed out on....

Probably the 4 loudest I've ever heard in succession, the McPharlin run down, the Longmuir mark, the pandemonium of the siren sounding and then of course when he slotted the goal. Special night for a Freo fan.

Slightly off message but have a look at the Irish fans at Euro 2012 singing while 4-0 down against Spain. Just youtube it I don't know ho to link. 30,000 Irish singing solidly for 10 minutes before the end while their team is being totally outplayed.

I am of Irish extraction and it is enough to bring a lump to the throat....the greatest soccer fans in the world showing dignity and class in defeat unlike any other soccer crowd....it is spine tingling..

Has to be this game and this call. At the SCG it was impossible to hear the person next to you and it seemed like the grandstands were shaking.

Longmuir goal after the siren easily the biggest roar iv ever heard. By a mile. I was right behind the goal posts he was kicking too on the boundary and converted a west coast supporter and 2neutrals to freo after they saw this game live.

The biggest roar I've heard live, and made me fall in love with the SCG, was against the Saints in 09 when we drew within a few points, and the ground just came alive, I think it was when White kicked his third, and it was just spine-tingling sort of stuff. Pity we couldn't get up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back