Biggest roar you've ever heard

Remove this Banner Ad

The '02 Prelim had a crowd of what, 90,000? 80,000 long suffering Collingwood supporters experiencing their first finals series in 6 years or so? Maybe longer.

First final in Melbourne for 10 years. First winning final in Melbourne since the 1990 Grand Final.

The thread that keeps on giving... I was only 9 in 1986, but got dragged along to MV with my old man and uncle. I couldn't see a thing and I swear I thought a plane was landing during the Plate. I was sh***ing myself. My uncle won a heap and bought me whatever i wanted all day and night :D

add this to the list too. Pandemonium. No one knew what was going on. No taking two minutes to kick it, or throwing grass in the air, or marking the ground. Just go back, and slot it through :thumbsu:

The '07 prelim was the loudest i've ever heard. The Collingwood supporters were incredibly loud, made the Geelong crowd sound minute in comparison.
Cats fans were scared (and also completely outnumbered) that night.

Non-footy, but I was on the boundary in front of the Doug Walters at the SCG on NYD 96 when Bevan hit the last ball for the winning 4 against the Windies. Reckon that went for a good 5 minutes.

Footy would probably have to be the last 10 minutes of the 2010 replay, 20 back from the goals in the Ponny.

On the siren the week before would have to be the loudest audible sigh/groan I've ever heard.

Football, just about every time Gary Ablett Sr went near the ball, but the continuous roar in the match where Salmon and Abett both kicked over 10 was awesome, just building and building through the day until every time they went near it the roof lifted.

Outside football, MCG, AUS v West Indies, 1981. 1st day, and Australia are bowled out cheaply, only Kym Hughes making runs. WI have to survive 6 overs, but are 3/10 with one ball left. A certain DK Lillee, closing in on the world record for test wickets, had 2/3.. The roar built, and built, the Lillee Lillee roar going to fever pitch as he came in for the last ball....and bowled Viv Richards with a snorter. A packed G went absolutely monkey droppings, people going mental for half an hour even though play had finished. Never seen or heard anything like it before or since.

THe next Day, Lillee broke the record, getting Gomes caught at slip. The roar went on longer but wasnt as manic as th last night.

Has to be this game and this call. At the SCG it was impossible to hear the person next to you and it seemed like the grandstands were shaking.

Well Cam Mooney agrees with me. He said this week:

The match featured few goals but it was so tense and hard-fought, and the finale was so gripping, that it's entered the pantheon of great finals.

Former Geelong forward Cameron Mooney said this week the atmosphere during the manic last quarter was "quite incredible".

"The noise was probably the loudest I've heard at a football game," Mooney said. "They went off their heads."

2007 Prelim Geelong Collingwood.

I was at all 3 winning GF's this decade but that 07 prelim was the most intense game I've ever been to, it was pure hell!! 09 GF a very close second. But had we lost that 07 prelim I may not be here typing this post....

On a side note- Most inspiring roar: Stevie J emerging from the rooms and jogging the boundary in the 2011 prelim v west coast. That was magic- just knew he was going to get up for the big one and do it in style.

It was at the 1980 grandfinal, I was 13 and probably the loudest noise at a footy game I had ever heard was when Peter Allen came out to sing, and that was before the ball had even been bounced. There was no roar, but the loud part was while he was singing you couldn't hear him. That was because (I reckon) every single person was calling out po@@@@@@@fter p0@@@@@fter (sorry I don't want to offend, but it did happen). It was amazingly loud. An old guy beside me said "look up there, he's singing but we cant hear him" he was referring to a loud speaker right behind us. It was truly loud.

Mick McGuanes goal in round 2 1994 versus Carlton after he had taken about 7 bounces.

It's always a giveaway when you see the replay and there is a crackling sound because the speakers are distorted.

Same with Mark Mercuri's goal in the 3rd quarter of the 1993 Prelim. You can hear the sound distort.

If anyone can find these two and put them up, you will know what I mean. The camera even shakes a bit for both of them.

To me, these are the "big two"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard some mighty roars over the years, but that last Nick Davis goal in 2005 was an almost oppressive sound. For me the accoustics in the small scg meant it beat the Socceroos beating Uruguay. In fact Pluggers point was the second loudest roar for the same reason. When the whole crowd goes up at the scg can actually get so loud it can be scary. If I was too rate the loudest games overall, ie for their duration it would beSocerros then the Semi final of the Rugby World Cup when Australia beat New Zealand. Id actually lost my voice before the game even stsrted for the rugby, thats how far the crowd was intothat game. Most disappointing atmos: Roosters vs Brisbane NRL grand final. Absolute dud that one.

Although Australian football has always been, and will always be, my favourite sport - for sheer volume of a crowd roar, nothing in our game will ever match that which happened when John Aloisi slotted home the last penalty in the shootout against Uruguay to get Australia into the soccer world cup.

I've heard a lot of loud roars, but the one that sticks out the most was in a state of origin game, WA vs Vic, at Subiaco back in 1984. We came from behind to snatch a 2 point win and when we finally hit the front, it was pandemonium in the stands. I think the crowd was about 45000. Subiaco crowds can be pretty loud.

I was behind the goals at that game, with two big drums, five shakers about the size of a football and several horns :)

I just wish I'd been down in Melbourne when we played Freo and Brisbane in '08 though. Those were two magical days, and I'll never forget them. Right up there with the Roys' last win over Freo in '96.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back