Injury Blue Healers Medical Room 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
how do you get 4-6 weeks from that quote?
Lloyd literally says we'll get a time frame after the first month of the season is completed.
Yes, and I'd rather Walsh take his time to be cherry ripe rather than rush a return. Club says, "He will unfortunately miss the beginning of the 2023 AFL season". Walsh is a freak, but I'd prefer he is freaky good for the next 10 years...

I get exploring all alternative treatments but given the lack of traction for the last 4 months I can't help but wonder if this decision could have been made a little sooner to give him the best chance to play earlier in the season.

Can anyone with a medical background tell us more about this type of surgery? From what I am reading it is considered a minor procedure with a 3-6 month timeframe on return to contact sports though you can start exercising pretty quickly after surgery. Based on that you would expect him back somewhere between round 4-12. Key is not pushing rehab faster then your body can take as this can backfire which is obviously the big risk for walshy.

Hopefully he gets better soon and this provides an opportunity for someone else in the meantime. A spot in the ones is very much up for grabs not for several players.

I get exploring all alternative treatments but given the lack of traction for the last 4 months I can't help but wonder if this decision could have been made a little sooner to give him the best chance to play earlier in the season.

Can anyone with a medical background tell us more about this type of surgery? From what I am reading it is considered a minor procedure with a 3-6 month timeframe on return to contact sports though you can start exercising pretty quickly after surgery. Based on that you would expect him back somewhere between round 4-12. Key is not pushing rehab faster then your body can take as this can backfire which is obviously the big risk for walshy.

Hopefully he gets better soon and this provides an opportunity for someone else in the meantime. A spot in the ones is very much up for grabs not for several players.
He's got 10+ years to keep playing and the rest of his life....this type of stuff needs to be considered thoroughly and missing a few weeks or half a season is the least of their concerns I would imagine.

On CPH2005 using BigFooty.com mobile app

how do you get 4-6 weeks from that quote?
Lloyd literally says we'll get a time frame after the first month of the season is completed.
Yeah according to this 3-6 months more likely but it does say the more diligent recover fastest so hopefully Walsh returns at the earlier end of that range.

Last edited:
Well we're stuffed.

Really? Cmon

Yeah it sucks and it feels like this stuff happens often to us but we have a decent midfield that can pick up the slack.

We missed 3 starting mids against Melbourne and Collingwood at the end of the year.
If Walsh was our only out from the mids we win arguably both.

We aren’t stuffed at all!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Similar surgery to what I had back in 2019

If similar results:

The internal back pain will be eradicated almost as soon as surgery is complete.

Wound site will be painful and prevent training through the recovery period. Typical of post surgery of anything (e.g stitches, etc.)

Physio will begin 2-3 weeks post surgery.

3 months mark he should have close to complete freedom (if successful and no other diagnosis e.g. cauda equine syndrome, which is what I had).

It really depends on what other complications he was dealing with if anything. Could range from back about a third of the way through the season to his career/life is somewhat ****ed and we hope for the best

Those asking why we didn't opt for immediate surgery. Spinal cord (no matter how simple the surgery) is almost always the last resort in medical opinion in this country. I can say I asked for my own surgery back in 2016 and they wouldn't until I reached the point of no return and it was my only option. In my time in the spinal unit this was the case for every single patient in there including two former professional athletes. The only people this didn't apply to were significant trauma cases (e.g. significant car accident victims where they literally had no choice).

Until we know more it's impossible to say. Club doing the right thing by ruling out a timeline for his return

Positive thoughts and love to Sammy.

Seriously - again? Yet another injury to a key player mismanaged in the offseason.

But hey, lets drop the news the day before Christmas when people are busy and on holidays so that the complete ineptitude of the club isn't on public show (again).

Bunch of absolute clowns running the joint - still.

Seriously - again? Yet another injury to a key player mismanaged in the offseason.

But hey, lets drop the news the day before Christmas when people are busy and on holidays so that the complete ineptitude of the club isn't on public show (again).

Bunch of absolute clowns running the joint - still.

This is a hilarious take.

Not a great injury particularly for someone of such a young age, hopefully all goes well and he can make close to a full recovery…
The thing with disc/back problems is the unknown long term restrictions it usually causes, depending on the severity they are almost never the same, atm it’s fingers crossed but unfortunately it’s history can cause you to be a little pessimistic about it…

Sad for walshy and the club, but I’d like to try and stay positive on this.
He’ll be back bigger and better than ever next season and whenever that is it is.
I use to worry like hell in the past, in we had barely any coverage when our best players went down! Not now tho!
I feel very comfortable now that we can cover these types of scenarios.
For mine, doc goes in to cover or u have cerra for more permanent roll? Could swap those two off a wing. Our midfield mix(providing certain players are healthy) is really strong now imo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back