Bluemour Discussion Thread XVIII - Please Sir, Can We Have More?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea why everyone is obsessed with Talia, yes he'd be an upgrade on Jones, yes I'd take him if he was free, but the fact is if we trade for Talia, kiss goodbye any chance of getting Papley, Martin, or any A grade mids we may be targeting. It'd be stupid to trade for a slight upgrade in defence instead of an elite forward or mid.

Obviously the only way we get Talia is by trading out Jones which is probably not going to happen.

Not sure anyone has mentioned getting Talia in and keeping all of our other KPD’s

Obviously the only way we get Talia is by trading out Jones which is probably not going to happen.

Not sure anyone has mentioned getting Talia in and keeping all of our other KPD’s

Questions - what do you think we get for Jones, and what do you think we give up for Talia, and is the net loss worth the trouble?

Murphy is not a serial ducker

Big difference from attracting head high contact and dropping the knees ala Grimes/Selwood
Yeah Murph tries the shrug the shoulders and duck out of the tackle which sometimes gets him the free. Doesn’t drop the knees and lean the head in

There was mail we were interested in s selwood a few weeks back

That would be such a truly appalling idea I refuse to believe anyone associated with the Carlton Football Club would even suggest it's being entertained.

Too old, too injury-prone, too slow, too poor at decision-making and disposal. He is absolutely everything our team does not need to improve.

And I don't even dislike the guy, he's just hideously, spectacularly, outrageously wrong for us.

Questions - what do you think we get for Jones, and what do you think we give up for Talia, and is the net loss worth the trouble?

Have not thought about it a heap because it won’t happen, but if the talk about Talia being really unhappy at the crows is true we could probably get him for a late first.

If we were to receive an early second for Jones it would be worth it.

If the crows would only take a top 10 pick I would pass.

No way Talia is on the market folks. Wishful thinking. Why would Adelaide trade their best KPD (especially under contract)

Also I think we are a much bigger chance to get Papley than most of you think.

I think the Swans are willing to talk turkey, it's just a matter if we can convince Tom P to join us.

Looks like they are going all in on trying to steal one more flag with a lot of their great players coming to the end.
They'll be taking over Hawthorn in terms of senior player numbers on the list.
Besides Dangerfield who could play on for another five years, they will loose quit a few in the next few years.
As of end of 2019 season

J.Selwood 31yr May
Z.Tuoghy 30yr Dec
G.Ablett 35yr May
H.Taylor 33yr June
Z.Smith 29yr Feb
S.Selwood 29yr Mar
M.Duncan 28yr June
G.Rohan 28yr June
L.Henderson 30yr Dec
T.Hawkins 31yr July
P.Dangerfield 29yr May
M.Blicavs 28yr Mar
R.Abbott 28yr June
R.Stanley 29yr Dec
C.Guthrie 27yr Aug
S.Menegola 27yr Mar
L.Dahlhaus 27yr Aug
*S.Higgins 31yr Mar
*J.Steven 29yr Mar
They remind me of another powerhouse of yesteryear. Had the same recruiting policy, we’re still recovering

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way Talia is on the market folks. Wishful thinking. Why would Adelaide trade their best KPD (especially under contract)

Also I think we are a much bigger chance to get Papley than most of you think.

I think the Swans are willing to talk turkey, it's just a matter if we can convince Tom P to join us.
The rumour is he wants out. So it doesn't really matter if he's their best defender.

Jones might have more strings than Talia but his flaws hurt us at times.
(Cost is the game against Melbourne)

I like what Jones gives us, just think Talia is a big upgrade.

You mean his first game back after missing 8 weeks with concussion, 1st game under Teague and didn’t get his positioning right with the new defensive structure? Right.

Jones is the least of our worries. It would be absurd to spend trade currency on another KPD.

If Darcy Cameron is a free hit as Barass suggests, I consider that a big win.

We have to replenish our ruck stocks, Kruezer, as much as we love and admire him, can only play 75 of the season now in order to preserve his body and longevity in the game, Lobbe is gone, and Phillips although an admirable young man, is at best a back up, who also has injury issues.

In an ideal world, we would poach Rowan Marshall or Reilly O'Brien, but that is as likely as me winning the Miss Universe pageant.

Cannot stress enough the importance of brining in a young and hopefully talented and injury free Ruckman.

Now I hope that Tom De Koning,can be that guy for us in future (won't be for a lack of trying, he strikes me as a real hard working and training type), but we need to get some insurance in that position.

Murphy is not a serial ducker

Big difference from attracting head high contact and dropping the knees ala Grimes/Selwood
The difference with Murph is that he stays upright, the shrug is merely to lose the tackle, he will often be standing upright, ready to deliver the ball when the tackle goes high, it means if he gets a free kick so be it, if he doesn't he passes the ball off. Selwood and Mathieson and McLean break their knees and go to ground. Meaning that the only two options are free kick or tackle and ball up. One is a legitimate move to evade an opponent the other is to draw a free kick.

Don't have an issue with Selwood drawing free kicks. It's good game craft, well within the rules, nothing stopping other players from doing it, just a lack of ability stopping them from being as good. Simple solution, better tackling technique. Tackle him right and he can't shrug but he positions and sidesteps so well it's hard. Quite simply it makes him a good player.

It's actually a genuine issue with out team, we badly lack the ability to draw free kicks. It's a lack of game craft, unwillingness to put the head over the footy and take a hit and a lack of strength through the core and shoulders. That's an issue we have with our young players and something we must get better at.

Hugely underrated the ability to break a tackle or half break it so you can get an effective handpass away. Players who are good at this, generally the side effect is winning a lot of high free kicks but they are also the ones who are great at winning the contested ball and being damaging with their possessions.

We spend a lot of time complaining we aren't getting a good ride from the umpires. Lack of ability to draw free kicks and a lot of the time a lack of elite pressure is the reason for that. Not umpire bias or anything like that.

Nothing wrong with drawing free kicks as long as it's not something that consumes a players game. You need that in your team, it's one little aspect that gives you a bit more of an edge.
I appreciate your views GB, but i couldn’t agree less with them.

I think its a blight on the game playing to draw free kicks and i take particular exception to this one that Selwood, Christensen and Mathers are renowned for.

IMO free kicks are there if a player has genuinely been infringed upon.

What Selwood does is change a legitimate tackle that is below shoulders by forcing the opponents arms over his shoulders, therefore Selwood being the one that initiates the high contact - its play on for me (or a free against Selwood for him being the one that initiates it).

Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back