Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Hollands can follow the example of his younger brother and refocus on football we’ve got a steal.
There are reasons he’s so cheap, hopefully the new environment will bring about a positive change.

100%. This kid will be a steal.

Comments to me have been he wasn't professional in rehab on knee and it's something he will need to fix in pre season. Knee isnt strong enough yet.

Attitude early wasn't professional enough. Not bad, just not high standard required. Started to switch on this year. I'm not sure GCS is the best place for development so far.

I am very confident that Hollands will thrive under our new culture and standards and that he will become an A grade player.

Last edited:

Not concerned about him at all.

Was told point blank that he's a good teammate, will be highly coachable and just needs a reason to fall back in love with the game

Getting to us, being around Ollie and being in an environment with a coach that will be as tough as nails but literally be the greatest player's coach possible if you buy into the team ethos will do it for him.

Dew mistreated a number of their players. Set unrealistic goals and when you achieved them failed to reward the players. Like a carrot was dangled in front of a horse but when it earned it it was yanked away.

Same person suggested that if you weren't a pure set position player (I E. Rowell and Anderson are genuine permanent mids, etc.) then Dew was at a loss over how to play you. Most of those that got lost to him are modern hybrids.

Not many players will respond to that.

Elijah will be fine
Plus playing in front of big noisy crazy navy blue fans

Comments to me have been he wasn't professional in rehab on knee and it's something he will need to fix in pre season. Knee is strong enough yet.

Attitude early wasn't professional enough. Not bad, just not high standard required. Started to switch on this year. I'm not sure GCS is the best place for development so far.

I am very confident that Hollands will thrive under our new culture and standards and that he will become an A grade player.
Thinking Hollands’ trajectory should be likened to our own Brodie Kemp. Last season was the first that Kempy was AFL fit after being drafted with an ACL in 2019. Hollands also taken with an ACL was in his third year on the list, his second year on the ground in anger. Hollands would still be building, if he has been “less than professional” in rehab would be a little behind. Jack Russell would ensure he is up to the mark for round 1 2024.

Unlike Kemp who virtually stayed home and had a familiar support network, Hollands was uprooted from his home environment in regional Wodonga to the questionable professional environment in the Gold Coast and expected to complete the lonely task of rehabbing a significant injury.

As an aside, I quite like the list dynamic we are building. Zac Williams, Kemp, Hollands (x2?) from Border regions. Kennedy a little further north, then we have the Walker boys in coming years. Have I missed any?

Comments to me have been he wasn't professional in rehab on knee and it's something he will need to fix in pre season. Knee is strong enough yet.

Given this information I wouldn't want to be giving up a second round pick for a player with questionable professional commitment.

Thinking Hollands’ trajectory should be likened to our own Brodie Kemp. Last season was the first that Kempy was AFL fit after being drafted with an ACL in 2019. Hollands also taken with an ACL was in his third year on the list, his second year on the ground in anger. Hollands would still be building, if he has been “less than professional” in rehab would be a little behind. Jack Russell would ensure he is up to the mark for round 1 2024.

Unlike Kemp who virtually stayed home and had a familiar support network, Hollands was uprooted from his home environment in regional Wodonga to the questionable professional environment in the Gold Coast and expected to complete the lonely task of rehabbing a significant injury.

As an aside, I quite like the list dynamic we are building. Zac Williams, Kemp, Hollands (x2?) from Border regions. Kennedy a little further north, then we have the Walker boys in coming years. Have I missed any?
Connor O'Sullivan?

Not concerned about him at all.

Was told point blank that he's a good teammate, will be highly coachable and just needs a reason to fall back in love with the game

Getting to us, being around Ollie and being in an environment with a coach that will be as tough as nails but literally be the greatest player's coach possible if you buy into the team ethos will do it for him.

Dew mistreated a number of their players. Set unrealistic goals and when you achieved them failed to reward the players. Like a carrot was dangled in front of a horse but when it earned it it was yanked away.

Same person suggested that if you weren't a pure set position player (I E. Rowell and Anderson are genuine permanent mids, etc.) then Dew was at a loss over how to play you. Most of those that got lost to him are modern hybrids.

Not many players will respond to that.

Elijah will be fine
Even if that turns out to be incorrect, they distressed former high quality asset is exactly the market we should be in at this point of the list build.

Said earlier this year that E.Hollands looks like he's fallen off a cliff performance wise... so im glad the ITK info supports that and it isn't my eyes going on me at the ripe old age of 27. When he made his debut last year he looked hardened and hungry for opportunity and this year he's looked like a total plodder. Still has a lovely kick on him but was weak, fumbly and timid in 2023.

Hoping being in a team with Ollie with Vossy and Crippa leading the troops will be enough for him to get back on track. His natural talent is massive but he needs a huge pre season and some supportive teammates who will get him back to the game winner he was in juniors.

I reckon he was mentally checked out.

It is a bit worrying that he has that trait, but at the same time as you said, with a better environment and more support, he could come good

he's 190cmish, so bigger than Jack Martin and a little smaller than Curnow and Silvagni.

I see him more of a HFF / 2nd string mid though
No bugger all about him TBH. One thing I do know is he got 27 touches when Suns beat us by 126 pts in the 2’s - an omen I hope. Boyd got 7 touches in that game.

30 touches in their GF win too.

Can he take a grab? Does he tackle? Foot skills? Decision making?

Last edited:
he's 190cmish, so bigger than Jack Martin and a little smaller than Curnow and Silvagni.

I see him more of a HFF / 2nd string mid though
Seems like he can run though, which is definitely something we'd like to be better at across the field.

Hollands has always been an excellent aerobic athlete, but has taken that to another level at the Suns this pre-season, wiping six seconds off his best 2km time trial run (he clocked in at 5:54 minutes) and is eyeing one of Gold Coast's wing positions.

The tall and damaging midfielder, who boasts a penetrating kick and ability close to goal too, put a focus on getting leaner and has felt the benefits.

His second season was met with a run of strong VFL form, before breaking into the side for the final five weeks, including claiming a Rising Star nomination in round 21. It has set up different goals for 2023.

He kicked two goals from 10 disposals on debut with his best game coming against Hawthorn two weeks later when he collected 23 disposals and kicked two goals.

I reckon he was mentally checked out.

It is a bit worrying that he has that trait, but at the same time as you said, with a better environment and more support, he could come good
Wasn't too checked out in his last game in the VFL grand final where get had 30 touches, 10 tackles and 6 clearances. Fair game that.

Many on the Gold Coast board said that Dew was slaughtering him by playing him on the wing. They think that he is first and foremost an on baller who can play half forward.

Grand final stats suggest that that might be true.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't too checked out in his last game in the VFL grand final where get had 30 touches, 10 tackles and 6 clearances. Fair game that.

Many on the Gold Coast board said that Dew was slaughtering him by playing him on the wing. They think that he is first and foremost an on baller who can play half forward.

Grand final stats suggest that that might be true.
He definitely looked rather slow and disinterested playing wing when I watched him. Just trundled up and down barely firing a shot. Looked a bit like when we had Setterfield playing out there compared to when he was on ball the back half of 22.

If the move pays off it will look like highway robbery but theres every chance he still ends up a bust

If the move pays off it will look like highway robbery but theres every chance he still ends up a bust

I start off with the assumption that most recruits will end up as busts and then am pleasantly surprised at the ones that make it.

Probably not fair on the player, but much better for my psyche...

Given this information I wouldn't want to be giving up a second round pick for a player with questionable professional commitment.
Of course he has flaws, otherwise he would not be available this cheap

The hope is that EHollands be able to thrive at CFC

Moone Boy Waiting GIF by HULU

Think if we see a trade up the board it'll be on draft night, hoping for more clarity regarding f/s for next year asap as it's making things extremely difficult for the club as it stands

It's absolutely ridiculous that the AFL haven't told the clubs that it will be for the 2025 draft period onwards given clubs have already been trading with a mind to next year. AFL proving again they are amateurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back