Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think a lot of people are forgetting JSOS as a 3rd tall option. Before his injuries he was pretty dangerous up forward. Smart and unpredictable, and his kicking for goal had really improved from where it was a year or 2 previously.
Has never kicked more than 20 goals in a season or averaged more than a goal a game in any season. He's not a dangerous forward.

I think what he's most valuable at is being a linkman on the wing, he's a good kick and is good at going on long leads to provide that target. He's more like a Adelaides Tom Lynch kind of forward rather than an inside 50 forward, if that makes sense.

Has never kicked more than 20 goals in a season or averaged more than a goal a game in any season. He's not a dangerous forward.

I think what he's most valuable at is being a linkman on the wing, he's a good kick and is good at going on long leads to provide that target. He's more like a Adelaides Tom Lynch kind of forward rather than an inside 50 forward, if that makes sense.
But people will cite McStay as a 2nd tall who hasn’t kicked 30

JSOS probably kicks 30 as second fiddle to Charlie

Again.. McKay isn’t going anywhere though

100 percent.

Yes it was WC but the player mix and the way we entered the F50 was so much more effective in terms of playing a front half game style.

Kemp's ground work was another bonus and a player like Fog would be licking his lips.

And tbh I believe slow playing down the line (which we love) should still pay benefits as a smaller forward line will allow more flexibility re leads and the benefit of having more players around the fall of the ball. Our current version of slow around the boundary until we get to 80/85 then a dump kick to 40/45 leaves a shallow entry with lots of opposition covering the two tall targets we duck shove the problem to.

If you want to play a front half lock it in style shallow dumps into the F50 is literally the anti christ.

We've got two marque key forwards and they're not being used right.
Our ball use killed us in several games this year....need to fix that.

Melbourne won a flag with Gawn, Petracca, Oliver, Viney and Sparrow as their main mid rotation. The dogs had the best midfield in the comp with Bont, Libba, Macrae, Dunkley and Treloar as their mid rotation. Our issue is more with ball use coming out of the middle

I'd suggest that Bont and Treloar are quicker than our midfield.

Sam Docherty 1.10-1 to play v Brisbane.

Source - Paul Sebastiani and Nic Negrepontis on the untitled blues podcast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we ask the question of Noah Balta? Resigned for two years in 2023. Would certainly be a great support for Weiters up back, with the option to go forward also. Admittedly, it would be a long shot as he is 24. Certainly worth considering Richmond are surely hunting for picks.

I'd suggest that Bont and Treloar are quicker than our midfield.

This is where I rate smarts and ball use as speed. Bont's ability to make the right decisions and turn nothing into something with his class IMO is way more important than pure leg speed

I would take this over a fast runner any day

Roughead is the name that I suggested is better.

The way that Geelong utilized Stanley combined with his support is vastly superior to that of Pittonet.

Max Bailey and Mark Blake do not count. Both had rucks on the day vastly superior to Pittonet (Hale and Ottens in support. We'd need the same.

Campbell was hugely underrated. Ask any Hawks supporter who was better and they'll laugh at you. As they probably would with Bailey who's biggest drawback was his injury proneness.

Pittonet is not a serviceable premiership ruckman. Hell, I'd argue that his best against the genuine premiership ruckman in the league is laughable. He had Rowan Marshall on one leg and being considered as being subbed out early in last week's game and he still absolutely took him to town.

The only game Pittonet has looked good in since TDK went down was against a club who's hopeful primary ruckman was out (played 4 games this year) and who has recognized that they too desperately need another option.

IF we trade TDK and expect Pittonet to carry us to a premiership you're shutting the door on this list's premiership window.\
I agree with you about Pittonet, if we did that I'd be expecting big things out of O'Keeffe and/or Mirkov, but we've got durability concerns still with both of them at this stage. Far prefer us to just ship Pittonet out.

If we are talking of trading TDK to unlock the Petracca deal - what if we threw Geelong in as a 3rd party ??

• TDK to Geelong
  • Trac to Carlton
  • ??? to Melbourne

Someone better at this may have a trade that works ?

The only reason we would trade TDK is if he wants out. Zero indication of that.

Do we ask the question of Noah Balta? Resigned for two years in 2023. Would certainly be a great support for Weiters up back, with the option to go forward also. Admittedly, it would be a long shot as he is 24. Certainly worth considering Richmond are surely hunting for picks.
He’d be a very good player to bring in. Perfect for what we need.

I agree but I also say that having a quality ruckman is important too.

Look at the past 20 -years.

2023 -- Darcy Cameron

2022 - Rhys Stanley

2021 - Max Gawn

2020 - Toby Nankervis

2019 - Toby Nankervis

2018 - Scott Lycett

2017 - Toby Nankervis

2016 - Jordan Roughead

2015 - David Hale and Ben McEvoy

2014 - David Hale and Ben McEvoy

2013 - Max Bailey and David Hale

2012 - Shane Mumford

2011 - Brad Ottens

2010 - Darren Jolly

2009 - Mark Blake and Brad Ottens

2008 - Robert Campbell

2007 - Brad Ottens

2006 - Dean Cox

2005 - Darren Jolly

Tell me which ones Pittonet is better than.

Yes, we need goal kicking mids but you don't get there by giving up the premiership caliber ruckman.

Yeah, dw I'm not going to advocate trading TDK... I've already said he is untouchable (unless he wants out).

But I also believe that for us to take the next step, we need midfielders who consistently kick goals.

Trac pretty much ticks most of the boxes in terms of needs for our midfield.

Melbourne won a flag with Gawn, Petracca, Oliver, Viney and Sparrow as their main mid rotation. The dogs had the best midfield in the comp with Bont, Libba, Macrae, Dunkley and Treloar as their mid rotation. Our issue is more with ball use coming out of the middle
Our midfield doesn't just lack straight line speed, in fact this is the least important speed IMO. What it badly lacks is pace off the mark and agility speed. Cripps, Hewett and Kennedy when asked to move quickly to their right or left or over the first three metres aren't that great. That's our biggest issue.

Those midfields and players mentioned are pretty decent with agility, closing speed and being quick off the first few steps.

If you have the ball against those midfields, you are going to get closed in on and tackled a lot quicker than you would against us. On the flip side, those midfields had a good ability to carry the ball a short distance, two or three metres or more which allows the player to carry the ball out, pinpoint targets and play a possession game.

Cerra is not that flash either.

Lachie Neale or Greg Williams would actually make our midfield quicker in many ways.

Last edited:
Can you explain to me why Newman and Saad take most of our kickins (both left footers) but we always line up with our key marking targets on the right side. It makes zero sense.
Wouldn't mind seeing the stats but I would have thought that Mitch McGovern (when playing) would be right up there in terms of kick ins.

Our midfield doesn't just lack straight line speed, in fact this is the least important speed IMO. What it badly lacks is pace off the mark and agility speed. Cripps, Hewett and Kennedy when asked to move quickly to their right or left or over the first three metres aren't that great. That's our biggest issue.

Those midfields and players mentioned are pretty decent with agility, closing speed and being quick off the first few steps.

If you have the ball against those midfields, you are going to get closed in on and tackled a lot quicker than you would against us. On the flip side, those midfields had a good ability to carry the ball a short distance, two or three metres or more which allows the player to carry the ball out, pinpoint targets and play a possession game.

Cerra is not that flash either.
Agree but Cripps advantage is his big body and strength …difficult to tackle. He still manages to get the ball out.

Walsh Hewett Kennedy and cerra are more easily tackled and have the problems you’re alluding to.

I think a lot of people are forgetting JSOS as a 3rd tall option. Before his injuries he was pretty dangerous up forward. Smart and unpredictable, and his kicking for goal had really improved from where it was a year or 2 previously.

I just dont think he's in our best 22 anymore and he's never really been a dangerous forward

Wouldn't mind seeing the stats but I would have thought that Mitch McGovern (when playing) would be right up there in terms of kick ins.
Well he didn’t play on Sunday and we set up that way all game. Not hard to change. Might have made the one goal difference.

It’s ok to criticise something the club on a footy forum. The club will survive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back