Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, they can hold a disgruntled player to his contract. Until he asks to go out again next season when he's a year older and less value. What do Melbourne achieve with Petracca next year? Another mid table finish? Maybe they hope he comes around, can those sort of wounds and distrust ever be truly mended? Part of the reason you sign Petraca to a long term deal that expires when he's 34 or older is you want him to lead and set an example. Does a player with a history of trying to leave the club, trust issues with the staff and management and on a very high salary in a middling or bottom of the table team scream leader and example setter? I don't think so. The contract is only a weigh stone around Melbourne's neck at this point.

He can ask Ben Simmons about his injury management routine.

If Petracca gets to Carlton, suspect Cerra will be part of the deal
Agree. It has to come from somewhere and with Lord, I think Cerra is expendable even though he is a cut above most except for his injuries.

Cerra and a future 1st will go close to getting the deal done imo. Dee’s won’t be able to demand a kings ransom with the likelihood of Petracca going full blow the Dee’s up with trying to break his contract.

Call it $960k for Cerra (625) and Martin (335).
That doesn't cover Petracca at a pay cut taking $1.1M, let alone a replacement player.
We're speculating here. Cerra's contract was also an 'average' of $600 across the length. It is likely his first few years were less money both due to his age and also because we were front ending deals for Martin and McGovern at the time. Cerra may very well be on $800k per annum moving forward.

Sure, they can hold a disgruntled player to his contract. Until he asks to go out again next season when he's a year older and less value. What do Melbourne achieve with Petracca next year? Another mid table finish? Maybe they hope he comes around, can those sort of wounds and distrust ever be truly mended? Part of the reason you sign Petraca to a long term deal that expires when he's 34 or older is you want him to lead and set an example. Does a player with a history of trying to leave the club, trust issues with the staff and management and on a very high salary in a middling or bottom of the table team scream leader and example setter? I don't think so. The contract is only a weigh stone around Melbourne's neck at this point.
I agree with you, Melbourne do hold that 'card' though so to speak. He's not walking here for peanuts, no matter how bitter the situation has become over there.

Yeah, he would have to take a massive hit on his contract.

I think it would be hard for us to (responsibly) afford him on $1M a year, let alone the $1.2M - $1.7M that Melbourne owes him over the next 5 years.
Excuse my ignorance but how does that work? Can we completely restructure his deal? Or are we obliged to pay him the existing arrangement?

When the picks/points washed out, it was the equivalent of pick 6.

The other factors are that, yes Cameron a year younger, a KPP, no recent traumatic injury and took unders on his contract.

The $$$$ of his current deal is a genuine issue, i think all the other stuff is just worrying about nothing.

We're speculating here. Cerra's contract was also an 'average' of $600 across the length. It is likely his first few years were less money both due to his age and also because we were front ending deals for Martin and McGovern at the time. Cerra may very well be on $800k per annum moving forward.

Well, we're talking about finding the money for next year.

Not even close to factoring in the raise for TDK on his next contract.

Well, we're talking about finding the money for next year.

Not even close to factoring in the raise for TDK on his next contract.

Times like this, wish I can see a spreadsheet of our cap space.... maybe I can put on Carlton Polo and walked into the accounting department.

Excuse my ignorance but how does that work? Can we completely restructure his deal? Or are we obliged to pay him the existing arrangement?

Assuming a trade can be done, we negotiate a contract.
It would be up to Petracca to accept a massive pay cut from what Melbourne owes him. But there would be very few clubs who can afford to match that contract.

So it depends how much money is he prepared to lose to get out of the Demons?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he agrees to take less he can take less. He enters into a completely new contract with us at whatever terms we agree.

When a player is forceably traded from their club, like Bowes etc last year, that player obviously wants to get paid what they're current contract is worth. So they say they won't take a deal at another club less than what they're currently guaranteed. So that's when you get circumstances where clubs pay the players salary to play at another club like Collingwood are with Grundy etc. But that's because its the club wanting to move the contracted player on.

But not the case with Petracca. Very likely he still wants to be on or around the same pay (or even theoretically more), but we may be able to sell him on value outside his contract - i.e 'Brand Petracca'.

If he agrees to take less he can take less. He enters into a completely new contract with us at whatever terms we agree.

When a player is forceably traded from their club, like Bowes etc last year, that player obviously wants to get paid what they're current contract is worth. So they say they won't take a deal at another club less than what they're currently guaranteed. So that's when you get circumstances where clubs pay the players salary to play at another club like Collingwood are with Grundy etc. But that's because its the club wanting to move the contracted player on.

But not the case with Petracca. Very likely he still wants to be on or around the same pay (or even theoretically more), but we may be able to sell him on value outside his contract - i.e 'Brand Petracca'.

I am sure the Cripps Brand is buzzing. Could introduce him to some rich sponsors down lygon.

;)

There is so much more to life than money as well. You're day to day enjoyment, plus opportunities for growth and legacy are all non-financial elements of salary. I'm in a competitive industry not unlike being an AFL player in some senses. Get offered more money to move to competing teams all the time, but you have to weigh up the cash against the environment, the support you have, the upward mobility - and it sounds silly, but also your legacy and reputation. Money isn't everything to everyone. If Petracca feels he will be in a more supported and successful environment at Carlton, money may not be his sole focus.

There is so much more to life than money as well. You're day to day enjoyment, plus opportunities for growth and legacy are all non-financial elements of salary. I'm in a competitive industry not unlike being an AFL player in some senses. Get offered more money to move to competing teams all the time, but you have to weigh up the cash against the environment, the support you have, the upward mobility - and it sounds silly, but also your legacy and reputation. Money isn't everything to everyone. If Petracca feels he will be in a more supported and successful environment at Carlton, money may not be his sole focus.

Pretty sure thats why it was rumoured Cripps took a pay-cut to help us keepers players on the list. To be fair, he is already well looked after and will be super looked after post afl.

likely already pretty much set for life...

may like the idea of enjoying the rest of it rather than wondering if it's being risked by his employer.

Yeah, he would have to take a massive hit on his contract.

I think it would be hard for us to (responsibly) afford him on $1M a year, let alone the $1.2M - $1.7M that Melbourne owes him over the next 5 years.
IF he does want to come to us then he would need to get on board with what the club are building. We already “know” that our big name players have taken pay cuts to keep the core group together with the goal to achieve success. As good a player as he is, he’s not won a Brownlow nor will he be captain so you could imagine if he takes an extra few grand home per year than the boys who have sacrificed, there may be a few noses out of joint.

Hasn't been the first, hopefully is the last

Part of the messiah complex.

Bring in the best, knowing that historically they've proven to be the best, and give them the power to not have to answer to anyone.

We did the same thing with Malthouse in a different position under the same presidency.

There is much more accountability at the club these days and it's time for our high performance and medical to catch up to other areas of the club. If this is the direction Cook leads the club in over the summer it'll be a massive upgrade.

Bloody oath its time for this department to catch up, but Cook hasn’t just arrived, so i still dont know how we have let it get so bad.
If Russel was able to operate with no accountability, then what does that say about Lloyd, Cook and Sayers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back