Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course if Petracca wants to play for Carlton from next year he will be willing to take a reduced salary contract. That is obvious.

We are his way out of Melbourne. His only viable way really. If he wants a new start, we are the obvious path. What he gives up immediately financially can easily be made up by what Big Club Carlton can offer to Brand Petracca. We are uniquely well placed to do that.

If he plays for Carlton, it will be for very marginally under Patrick Cripps. But not over.

Of course if Petracca wants to play for Carlton from next year he will be willing to take a reduced salary contract. That is obvious.

We are his way out of Melbourne. His only viable way really. If he wants a new start, we are the obvious path. What he gives up immediately financially can easily be made up by what Big Club Carlton can offer to Brand Petracca. We are uniquely well placed to do that.

If he plays for Carlton, it will be for very marginally under Patrick Cripps. But not over.

Follow the Geelong Model. No players get payed higher than the captain.

Call it $960k for Cerra (625) and Martin (335).
That doesn't cover Petracca at a pay cut taking $1.1M, let alone a replacement player.

Lots of posters with some knowledge have been saying we have money to target players, Soapy even suggested an $800K player, we were heavily linked with Hayward but that was supposedly around the $650K mark.

Let’s say we split that $800K figure and $650K because who knows what’s true, that gives $725K add to that your figure of $625K for Cerra, that’s $1.35M.

If we already have money to target players and we traded a $625K player, that’s a lot of extra $$$$ to chase a player.

I dont want us to offer this to one player by the way and i still think Petracca will take a cut to facilitate a move.

Apart from his contract...

He can posture about heading to court, I think we all know it won't end up there.
IF they endangered his life they are in breach.

He’d have an OKish case for damages resulting from a reduced contract elsewhere. The commercial circumstances are different from an employment change or so he could argue.

But the whole thing would be super messy, likely have to be done during his career due to statutory limitations and pretty ****ing distracting for all.

Sure, they can hold a disgruntled player to his contract. Until he asks to go out again next season when he's a year older and less value. What do Melbourne achieve with Petracca next year? Another mid table finish? Maybe they hope he comes around, can those sort of wounds and distrust ever be truly mended? Part of the reason you sign Petraca to a long term deal that expires when he's 34 or older is you want him to lead and set an example. Does a player with a history of trying to leave the club, trust issues with the staff and management and on a very high salary in a middling or bottom of the table team scream leader and example setter? I don't think so. The contract is only a weigh stone around Melbourne's neck at this point.
And possible for it to be set aside if the conduct rumours are true

Good and fair offers will be made.

;)

godfather GIF

And possible for it to be set aside if the conduct rumours are true
Yes, but I think less in the case of the contract actually being set aside (as that would likely take extensive time in dispute resolution and litigation to formalise, should it be commenced) but in the threat of it being there another knife hanging above Melbourne's head to get them to come to the table on a trade.

1.1 to 1.5 is still too much for a player of his age, and for us to squeeze into our cap.

We already have a top-heavy list profile.
It's a lot but is it too much if he takes us from a perennial finalists team to a premiership team?

Not advocating that this is what we do but salary cap wise are we more chance to win a flag with Petracca and a rookie or Cerra and Hewett?

It would hurt us draft capital wise but we would still be able to get the Campos and Cody Walker. The flashes that we've seen from Moir, Lord and Binns might mean that our list is in better shape than many thought. Just need to somehow pick up a low cost key defender and we're not too badly off.

Anyway it's a fork in the road decision if it actually comes about. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn’t we salary dump a player if we needed the coin? Is that still a thing in this league or was that system scrapped and conveniently only in place to get Jack Bowes, his contract and Pick 7 over to Geelong for a third rounder?

Why would we possibly pay 100% of his contract? Melbourne will have to pay a decent %.
The only way I see that happening is if we could come up with much higher draft picks, which could be possible for Dees but much more difficult for us. The other way is Melbourne accepts a lower (albeit still high) range of draft picks (and maybe players), but whoever takes Trac either takes full cost of Petracca's salary (or is able to significantly renegotiate it - which I would suggest we'd probably want to do).

Couldn’t we salary dump a player if we needed the coin? Is that still a thing in this league or was that a system scrapped and conveniently only in place to get Jack Bowes, his contract and Pick 7 over to Geelong for a third rounder?

If we gave a similar deal (say our first to take Williams), what would we have left to trade for Petracca?

Gold Coast had an excess of picks (because of all the AFL handouts). We are not close to their position.

If we gave a similar deal (say our first to take Williams), what would we have left to trade for Petracca?

Gold Coast had an excess of picks (because of all the AFL handouts). We are not close to their position.

Thanks for the response. It was a silly suggestion.

Pretty sure the salary cap rises $2 mil for 2025.

It’s not a question of saving money.

“The total player payments will jump from $15,022,778 in 2023 to $15,788,222 this year, before rising to $17.76m in 2025, $18.29m in 2026 and $18.44m in 2027. Players split an additional $1.267 million per club in additional services (marketing) across the life of the new CBA which runs until 2027.”

“The total player payments will jump from $15,022,778 in 2023 to $15,788,222 this year, before rising to $17.76m in 2025, $18.29m in 2026 and $18.44m in 2027. Players split an additional $1.267 million per club in additional services (marketing) across the life of the new CBA which runs until 2027.”

Bingo.👍

Happy to take a 40% pay cut?
Exactly.
First thing i'd say to him is, "we'd love to have you, but you won't be getting paid more than Crippa, Weits, Charlie, Harry or TDK, do you still want to join us?"
That should sort out whether he's serious or not.

Couldn’t we salary dump a player if we needed the coin? Is that still a thing in this league or was that system scrapped and conveniently only in place to get Jack Bowes, his contract and Pick 7 over to Geelong for a third rounder?
I don't think we have any players whose salary is so bad that they wouldn't be a positive trade if we wanted to move them.

Martin is out of contract. Other higher paid players like Cerra would have trade value that means we wouldn't need to "dump" their salary.

The only person who would come close to a salary "dump" would be Zac Williams. But I doubt we'd move him on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back