Discussion Brendon Goddard to Essendon (Old thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Gone.

BRENDON Goddard will tomorrow sign a four-year contract to play with Essendon, forcing St Kilda to match the offer or lose its star.
Under restricted free agency rules, the Saints will have three days to offer the same salary and length of contract.

That seems highly unlikely.

Despite constant negotiations with Goddard's management, the Saints have refused to budge on their three-year offer.

Goddard has wanted a four-year deal.

He recently moved on his demands, asking for three years and a option for a fourth year with conditions included, but the Saints rejected it.

The contract from the Bombers is four years with no conditions.

Their offer is significantly better financially.

It's understood Goddard will earn between $675,000 and $725,000 a year at Essendon.

Goddard's manager Dan Richardson did not return calls today and Essendon would not to comment.

The tabling of the four-year offer on day one of the free agency period will end a tormenting several weeks for Goddard.

His first choice was to remain a Saint, but as they continued to stand firm with their offer, Goddard warmed to a move to another club.

People close to Goddard have said it has been a gut-wrenching decision to leave.

The AFL is expected to today receive Essendon's contract, which will be signed by Goddard or his manager. It will be then be sent to St Kilda for consideration.

The Saints have three days to match the offer or let their player go.

Compensation in the draft for St Kilda would be decided by the AFL

The Bombers are confident they will secure Goddard, although they understand player negotiations can take sudden twists. The Saints might reconsider its contract offer to Goddard.

However, that is unlikely.

St Kilda chief executive Michael Nettlefold has maintained the club had offered Goddard a deal that ``respects him and respects the football club''.

It's understood the Saints offer, if he accepted it, would make him one of the highest paid players at the club.

Goddard, 27, has played 205 games for the Saints after being their No.1 pick in the 2002 national draft.

He was awarded life membership at the club's best and fairest count last month, where he did not make comment about his future.

Several of his teammates, who once believed Goddard would not leave the club, now believe his future is elsewhere.

Goddard will be a groomsman at teammate Nick Riewoldt's wedding in Texas this month.

"He recently moved on his demands, asking for three years and a option for a fourth year with conditions included, but the Saints rejected it."
What the ****?

Sounds like he really didn't want to leave. He might have dropped in form this year but I am firmly in the camp that wants him to stay and the club give him extra $$$.

Will probably have to see him win a flag in Bombers colours now :thumbsdown:

Are Saints only now offering BJ $450,000??:eek:...Saints hubby is astounded that he wasn't already on this amount!...so am I...Seems like a poor amount to pay a loyal champ, when others at other clubs appear to be already on that amount, yet only half the player BJ is..

We are aware this is only a speculative amount.....just giving opinion on if true..
Which other players are on that amount that are worse than BJ? :rolleyes:

It seems the ghost of Aaron Hamill's contract is going to see BJ out the door. Not sure how I feel about that, I understand where the club's coming from but not wild about it

You know what, and I've had these feelings for a while but if Goddard wants to go let him.
His on field attitude has been piss poor this year, his performance sub par. If he doesn't want to play for the Saints, there's the door.

What I don't understand about this free agency thing, do we get anything in return for him?

You know what, and I've had these feelings for a while but if Goddard wants to go let him.
His on field attitude has been piss poor this year, his performance sub par. If he doesn't want to play for the Saints, there's the door.

What I don't understand about this free agency thing, do we get anything in return for him?
Whenever you try to tell Bombers supporters about his on field attitude and form of the last two years they put their hands over their ears and scream "LALALALALA". They're convinced he's still a top 20 player in the competition.

My understanding is we'll get a pick after our first rounder if he leaves, most likely 13

Pretty clear he doesn't want to got mate, he just wants to be paid at market value and for some reason we are refusing to do it. He might not be our best performed player this year but he is arguably our most valuable, he deserves to be on big dollars.

Pick 13 is not adequate compensation in my eyes.

When do we find out for sure what we're getting? Surely it would make sense to let us know before we decide on whether to match or not because obviously the compensation is something we have to consider among everything else.

Said this time last year when we could have got a top 3 pick for him that he would go this year and all the loyalists laughed and said that he wouldnt,....please please stay BJ etc etc. Well that 1 year playing fr us has put our compensation back 10 picks to pick 13. It was a no brainer we wouldnt be able to offer him the $. Pissed off we get pick 13 now as a top 3 player could have made a huuuuuuuuge difference to our semi re-build!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I made the comment last year to offer Goddard for O'Meara and was laughed at. Oh well pick 13 possibly pick 21 or so. Shite.

When do we find out for sure what we're getting? Surely it would make sense to let us know before we decide on whether to match or not because obviously the compensation is something we have to consider among everything else.

Pretty sure the club has already had a chat with the AFL to get a guide. Doubt we'll find out for sure until the end of the trade period, as if the club pursues another free agent it can all change. But if Essendon are going to do a $2.8m 4 year deal, that would have to be band 1 compensation.

Absolutely gutted. If what Brian speaking has said is true I am also very very angry at the club.this will hurt our culture and moral.

And with regards to compensation for free agency. I don't believe any club should get any compensation for it. Is not really free then is it? And it punishes all the clubs after us by putting them lower in the draft. Also if we weren't getting pick 13 would we have tried harder to keep him?

So so gutted.

I made the comment last year to offer Goddard for O'Meara and was laughed at. Oh well pick 13 possibly pick 21 or so. Shite.

I didn't get laughed at in 2008 when I said we should take Carlton's offer of a first round (plus another) pick for Kosi. The Saints being happy to trade for other teams good players, but unwillingness to trade any of our good players, should be re-assessed. BS was talking about the ROK deal, and that was pick 16. So pick 13 for a another 27yo seems OK (not great, but OK).

Absolutely gutted. If what Brian speaking has said is true I am also very very angry at the club.this will hurt our culture and moral.

And with regards to compensation for free agency. I don't believe any club should get any compensation for it. Is not really free then is it? And it punishes all the clubs after us by putting them lower in the draft. Also if we weren't getting pick 13 would we have tried harder to keep him?

So so gutted.

Fair enough on the pick issue (I suspect you are correct), but Lyon made Ball want to leave.

Culture is ensuring players realise it's a priviledge to play for the club when you are receiving decent remuneration.

Said this time last year when we could have got a top 3 pick for him that he would go this year and all the loyalists laughed and said that he wouldnt,....please please stay BJ etc etc. Well that 1 year playing fr us has put our compensation back 10 picks to pick 13. It was a no brainer we wouldnt be able to offer him the $. Pissed off we get pick 13 now as a top 3 player could have made a huuuuuuuuge difference to our semi re-build!!!
Why would any team give us pick 3 when they knew they just had to wait it out for a year?

Wanted to see what we could expect in the short (2 years), middle(4) and long(6) term. Picks 12 and 13 the last 6 years -

Sam Docherty and Taylor Adams

Lucas Cook and Seb Tape

Kane Lucas and Daniel Talia

Lewis Johnston and Tom Lynch

Cyril Rioli and Brad Ebert

James Frawley and Jack Riewoldt

Overall some great hits (Frawley, Riewoldt, Rioli, Talia), some very good players (Ebert, Lucas, Adams) and a couple of unknowns due to lack of oppetunity at their original clubs.

I think this is what the club have in mind. They don't think BJ would be an assett over the next 3 years so they wont over pay with a fourth. Try to get a 2006 or 2009 repeat with picks 12 and 13, save the $$$ and load up for FA at the end of next year after playing all the kids again and beginning the real rebuild fom within.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Brendon Goddard to Essendon (Old thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back