Discussion Brendon Goddard to Essendon (Old thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

"He recently moved on his demands, asking for three years and a option for a fourth year with conditions included, but the Saints rejected it."
What the ****?

Sounds like he really didn't want to leave. He might have dropped in form this year but I am firmly in the camp that wants him to stay and the club give him extra $$$.

Will probably have to see him win a flag in Bombers colours now :thumbsdown:

The club really should have tired harder. But we don't know exactly what happened :(

Wanted to see what we could expect in the short (2 years), middle(4) and long(6) term. Picks 12 and 13 the last 6 years -

Sam Docherty and Taylor Adams

Lucas Cook and Seb Tape

Kane Lucas and Daniel Talia

Lewis Johnston and Tom Lynch

Cyril Rioli and Brad Ebert

James Frawley and Jack Riewoldt

Overall some great hits (Frawley, Riewoldt, Rioli, Talia), some very good players (Ebert, Lucas, Adams) and a couple of unknowns due to lack of oppetunity at their original clubs.

I think this is what the club have in mind. They don't think BJ would be an assett over the next 3 years so they wont over pay with a fourth. Try to get a 2006 or 2009 repeat with picks 12 and 13, save the $$$ and load up for FA at the end of next year after playing all the kids again and beginning the real rebuild fom within.

great post!!! this is exactly why our first round picks should be strictly off limits and should only be used on the draft.

I didn't get laughed at in 2008 when I said we should take Carlton's offer of a first round (plus another) pick for Kosi. The Saints being happy to trade for other teams good players, but unwillingness to trade any of our good players, should be re-assessed. BS was talking about the ROK deal, and that was pick 16. So pick 13 for a another 27yo seems OK (not great, but OK).

If we don't pick up any FA's do we know that we will receive pick 13? Surely that will help determine how much we really 'want' Goddard?

If a team offered pick 3 we would have taken it no questions asked. I think you're a little off target
No not true they wanted him big time, we stayed too stubborn and wouldnt deal. The pick was there auto if we dealt just like ablett to Gcoast. I know because you follow a team that they can do no wrong but sometimes its best to look neutrally

No not true they wanted him big time, we stayed too stubborn and wouldnt deal. The pick was there auto if we dealt just like ablett to Gcoast. I know because you follow a team that they can do no wrong but sometimes its best to look neutrally
If GWS wanted him so bad then why have they barely chased him this year when they could've gotten him for free? Ever thought that BJ doesn't want to go to GWS?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You think that may of been the tactic all along?

Not sure I buy it, I think the club has offended him.

We have the money for sure IMO, can't see who we're planning on paying the cash to in 2-3 years when Roo, Kosi, Lenny, Blake, Milne, Joey etc are retiring.
Steven, Armo, Siposs? Who knows, but it'd be nice to have room

Steven, Armo, Siposs? Who knows, but it'd be nice to have room

Why do we need room?

I adore salary cap tightness, it's way over-played here IMO.

What's wrong with having things a bit tight when you've played in 3 grand finals?

Meh, don't get it, it's a good thing to have oodles of talent and to be contending.

If I told you that it is understood Goddard has flown to Perth this afternoon, would anyone believe me?
It's believed from a source close to him that statement is false.

You think that may of been the tactic all along?

Not sure I buy it, I think the club has offended him.

We have the money for sure IMO, can't see who we're planning on paying the cash to in 2-3 years when Roo, Kosi, Lenny, Blake, Milne, Joey etc are retiring.

perhaps we will be going for a free agent ourselves in the coming years?

People can pretend that they haven't read (or can't remember) articles.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/5315/newsid/147586/default.aspx

Scott Watters has denied his club is facing salary cap pressures and says it can be "aggressive" in the coming free agency period.

"It would be incorrect for people to think our position is compromised in any way, shape or form. So we are in a position to be aggressive from a salary cap point of view and that needs to be on the record, I'd rather people know the truth."

Watters used his address at the best and fairest to emphasise the needs of the team over the individual and said afterwards it was a philosophy that should be important to St Kilda.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/sc...-over-phone-rage/story-fndv7pj3-1226452140427

The club is also one ruckman short and Watters and others in high places at Seaford knew that before a ball was bounced this season.

"A well balanced, robust list copes with injuries to a ruckman, injuries to key defenders - or has key defenders on its list.

"We're in a very sound position now from a salary cap point of view.

"In the next 12 to 18 months we'll emerge from some very strong strategic planning to be again aggressive in the market place.

"We weren't in a position to move aggressively last year, but we've worked hard at maximising the current list."

St Kilda could have 13 players, or a third of its list, 29 years and older next year.

It is a careful balancing act, as Watters and his driven veterans have no interest in bottoming out.

"We've got some challenging times ahead as some of our senior players come to the end of their career, but that's senior footy."

His best football is behind him, just draft well.

I agree with your comment, but the irony of a Melbourne supporter, advising us to draft well. Now that is funny.

perhaps we will be going for a free agent ourselves in the coming years?

Well then it makes it even more inconceivable!

We'd be willing to play someone else decent dollars but not one of our own?

Because that always works out so well?

I know I am repeating myself, but a good chunk of our list will be retired by the end of 2014, someone has to explain this to me in a more rational way.

The ONLY way I can fathom it is that either the 475K story is true, or BJ is going to carry long term effects from his hip injury and it was more significant than we thought.

Otherwise it's one of the more foolish things I've heard in relation to the club in awhile.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion Brendon Goddard to Essendon (Old thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back