Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In an ideal world, what does Grundy need to be doing for him to be considered “worth his money”?

He can't, he's a ruckman, he's on matchwinner money, the only player in our team that is capable of being a matchwinner with any consistency is DeGoey, I'd would add sides to that but seems past his best.

Unless he turns himself into an uber fit NN (we know NN is carrying extra kegs by looking at him) - but he doesn't have the same attributes, no other ruck in the league does.

He can't, he's a ruckman, he's on matchwinner money, the only player in our team that is capable of being a matchwinner with any consistency is DeGoey, I'd would add sides to that but seems past his best.

Unless he turns himself into an uber fit NN (we know NN is carrying extra kegs by looking at him) - but he doesn't have the same attributes, no other ruck in the league does.
Nonsensical argument. He can't be worth the money because he will never fit some obscure, made up definition of "match-winning"? Rubbish

He was more than a ruckman in 2018/2019.
And is it a coincidence that with him not being in the same form that the team has fallen away as a contender?

And how many games has DeGoey actually won for us over his career?

And is it a coincidence that with him not being in the same form that the team has fallen away as a contender?

The last question is a funny one. De Goey, historically our most inconsistent player, is " the only player in our team that is capable of being a matchwinner with any consistency" somehow.

I think Grundy declining and our midfield declining (losing players, ageing, injuries) have gone hand in hand. I do think that beefing up our midfield stocks with De Goey having a full season in the middle, accompanied by new faces in Daicos and Lipinski + the developing youth we already have should see our midfield rebound. Maybe not next season, but eventually.

I reckon the Bulldogs would be great for Grundy. He hooks up with Treloar and Bevo loves skateboarding. Match made in heaven.

Dogs have the midfield that can make up for any deficiencies in his ruck work. Pretty much guaranteed of playing finals.

Surely if you are the Dogs you trade JJ, Wood, English and one of your mids to clear the cap space And to get points for Luke Darcy’s son.

All makes perfect sense to me.

Someone on that money should be top three in the best and fairest every year.

What is “that money”? From my perspective we didn’t get our money’s worth out of him in 2021 although Crisp was the only guy definitely on less money that outpolled him, but we got our money’s worth in 18-19 when he was on less so swings and roundabouts.

I reckon the Bulldogs would be great for Grundy. He hooks up with Treloar and Bevo loves skateboarding. Match made in heaven.

Dogs have the midfield that can make up for any deficiencies in his ruck work. Pretty much guaranteed of playing finals.

Surely if you are the Dogs you trade JJ, Wood, English and one of your mids to clear the cap space And to get points for Luke Darcy’s son.

All makes perfect sense to me.
I noticed on their board someone mentioned their 1st round pick next year (say pick 15-17) and few later round swaps, with us paying a large chunk of Grundy's salary ($400kpa??). Absolute joke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whether or not he's fallen away as the team has doesn't mean he's worth or ever could be worth that money. He's no dusty or trac, and has not had or never will have the potential to be a player like JDG.

That's the sort of player you give that money to, not ruckman because they rarely impact games for that sort of money. We're the last cub in the position to be giving players that sort of money that aren't doing Max Gawns week in week out.

How? He doesn't have the potential to match that money.

Yeah he's a great ruckman, even generational but unless he does a Max Gawn week in week out, which even Max Gawn can't then he won't be.
He’ll go past Gawn and will win multiple flags.

He’ll go past Gawn and will win multiple flags.

You mean the Gawn we saw in the prelim? He'll be doing that week in week out? When no other ruckman in history has done so to this point?

Grundy might win mulltiple flags, and he'd have to reach his previous heights to do so, doesn't mean he's worth that sort of money.

You were saying something about eating words?

You mean the Gawn we saw in the prelim? He'll be doing that week in week out? When no other ruckman in history has done so to this point?

Grundy might win mulltiple flags, and he'd have to reach his previous heights to do so, doesn't mean he's worth that sort of money.

You were saying something about eating words?
Yep, you’ll be eating your words next year.

Yep, you’ll be eating your words next year.

I'll be glad if I am.

So that means we'll be seeing Grundy kicking 3 goals a game, taking 10 marks, every hit out down the throat of mid in the clear .

He'll be doing this week in week out? I doubt it, but is you say so, I'll take it.

Looks like the flag is a certainty then.

I think that's a little optimistic, but I hope your optimism proves correct.

Whether or not he's fallen away as the team has doesn't mean he's worth or ever could be worth that money. He's no dusty or trac, and has not had or never will have the potential to be a player like JDG.

That's the sort of player you give that money to, not ruckman because they rarely impact games for that sort of money. We're the last cub in the position to be giving players that sort of money that aren't doing Max Gawns week in week out.
All I'm saying is that we have NO players worth that amount of money.

JDG is nowhere near anymore than $750k pa and I think that's generous. I'd let him go if he receives offers of $800k +, because in all his years at the club, he hasn't shown to be a reliable top player in the game. We have been talking 'potential' about JDG, but the fact is he is 25. He also needs to work on his game, and at his age, he should not still be in that position. Was this year only the 2nd time he has finished in the top 10 of our B&F? And he is being paid $750k pa (probably ask for more next year), based on 'potential'?

I just look at other players who have shown far more and wouldn't be commanding nowhere near the same level of $$. I just wouldn't be paying a 25 year old high $$ who is inconsistent but may have the potential to be a matchwinner.

Grundy's contract was too much and too long. JDG's is too much right now for what he has delivered over the past 2 years. Actually, it's too high for what he has ever delivered. I'd be offering him $500k pa with incentives like top 3 or 5 in the Copeland, Brownlow etc etc. If he becomes a matchwinner and plays strong consistent football, he will be rewarded.

I'll be glad if I am.

So that means we'll be seeing Grundy kicking 3 goals a game, taking 10 marks, every hit out down the throat of mid in the clear .

He'll be doing this week in week out? I doubt it, but is you say so, I'll take it.

Looks like the flag is a certainty then.

I think that's a little optimistic, but I hope your optimism proves correct.
He will surpass his 2018/19 form and will help the team win many games of football. Leading to the flag.

All I'm saying is that we have NO players worth that amount of money.

Agreed, yet the club bent over and asked for a pineapple, money could be better used elsewhere.

JDG is nowhere near anymore than $750k pa and I think that's generous

Agreed, but could be. He could literally be that bull mid that floats forward and kicks 3 every week. Has all the physical and natural attributes to be anything - his ceiling is above all others on the list and possibly the whole comp, if not he'd be damn close.

But, agreed not worth the money he's on at the minute. Yet the club bent over and asked for a pineapple.

Grundy's contract was too much and too long

Agreed, and I'll add that no ruckman is worth that money or length of contract, unless we have prelim Max Gawn week in week out - then it'd be justified IMO. But we'll probably never see a ruckman have the impact with that consistency.

We give that sort of money to a JDG that bursts out of the middle each bounce and floats forward each week and kicks 3.

This is not an attack on Grundy, it's a criticism of the club and it's contract management.

He will surpass his 2018/19 form and will help the team win many games of football. Leading to the flag.

Well when he does a prelim Max Gawn every week then I'll call the contract justified. If he does that we'll be contending immediately until the end of his career with a few flags on the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back