Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm not sure about that , Hickey came 6th in their B&f and had a great year, your swans mates must be confused
Hahah so Tom Hickey has one top 6 finish in his career & that means everything right?

What about Brodies 2 x Copeland Trophies?

What about Brodies AA’s?

6th in the Brownlow?

Brodies 4th in the MVP?

all while being 3 years younger.

tom Hickey has had one good year, at the age of 30, and STILL Grundy was better this year individually. More disposals, more ground ball gets, more marks, more contested marks, more goals, more tackles, more pressure acts, more contested possessions, more hit outs (whilst actually attending less ruck contests), better hit out to advantage %, better hit out win %.

i’m sorry, you’re entitled to an opinion, but your opinion is based on absolutely nothing.

there is no argument for Hickey > Grundy, aside from a clear bias against Grundy and an overall negative perception of Grundy’s game based off what you hear people say.

I can cop criticism of Grundy, but not baseless utter BS claims like Hickey > Grundy.

It's not the rate, it's the length. That is why clubs would be apprehensive. Moreover, the clubs in need of a ruck to round out their list (WB, Geelong spring to mind immediately) have no funds
It’s both , the rate and the length of the contract are absurd, people need to realise that we will never be , a Hawthorn, Richmond , Geelong , who all enjoyed premiership dynasties, by not letting players dictate what they were worth ,they all bought into the modus operandi , of sticking together for a fair price in the pursuit of premiership glory , sound administration is/was seriously lacking and negligent on all fronts.from the Wells to Beams to Grundy to Cox signing fiascos. The tail does not wag the dog , pity Wright was not here when bubble boy requested that deal , would have said to him , thanks for your services young man , but your delusional demands are just that , off you go to the Crows for 2 first rounders.

Last edited:
Hahah so Tom Hickey has one top 6 finish in his career & that means everything right?

What about Brodies 2 x Copeland Trophies?

What about Brodies AA’s?

6th in the Brownlow?

Brodies 4th in the MVP?

all while being 3 years younger.

tom Hickey has had one good year, at the age of 30, and STILL Grundy was better this year individually. More disposals, more ground ball gets, more marks, more contested marks, more goals, more tackles, more pressure acts, more contested possessions, more hit outs (whilst actually attending less ruck contests), better hit out to advantage %, better hit out win %.

i’m sorry, you’re entitled to an opinion, but your opinion is based on absolutely nothing.

there is no argument for Hickey > Grundy, aside from a clear bias against Grundy and an overall negative perception of Grundy’s game based off what you hear people say.

I can cop criticism of Grundy, but not baseless utter BS claims like Hickey > Grundy.
If you are happy with his output then good for you. You reel off a heap of stats but we can all see for ourselves that his output and effectiveness around the ground has dropped off. He can't take a mark to save himself, he can';t be moved forward because he's useless there and his taps to his feet are a joke. It's only you and the other Grundy defenders who can't see past their nose. He is judged on what he gets paid and for how long and he's not worth 700k max a year atm

If you are happy with his output then good for you. You reel off a heap of stats but we can all see for ourselves that his output and effectiveness around the ground has dropped off. He can't take a mark to save himself, he can';t be moved forward because he's useless there and his taps to his feet are a joke. It's only you and the other Grundy defenders who can't see past their nose. He is judged on what he gets paid and for how long and he's not worth 700k max a year atm
You are generous Manic one.😊 500 k max for a good average footballer with limited footy smarts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s definitely not a mystery why you’re not involved in any list management if this is the kind of talent identification you have.
Definitely a mystery , but I will leave it to geniuses like yourself to be content to pay one good average footballer 7.46% of the total player payment from the clubs salary cap of 13.4 million , the mind boggles , absurd.

Last edited:
Currently not in the top 3 ruckmen in the game, he's a lot closer to the truth than you would think. Probably 5th right now, so yeah just above average for a ruckmen.
He's the best footballer among the rucks, if that makes sense. Grundy is structurally great for us, I know its a cliché but he fair dinkum is an extra mid (or part of one), vey good runner and linkman but obviously slow for a midfielder. His durability means he really is more like 1 1/4 rucks: we got by with him and Cox for a long time and Cox is about 1/10th of a relief ruck (ie he played less than 10% ruck time, Grundy more than 90%).

I think Grundy is a fine player well worth his wage (if its 700-800K) but yes as mentioned the length of the contract is abysmally stupid. Not sure this is his fault, we were handing out 5s and 4s a few years ago to guys with bad groins and oldies with mental conditions. If one player in the league is close to being worth 7 its him.

Grundy sticks out to us s he is so clearly a talented player yet we aren't winning. I think poor list balance has meant his impact is diminished, Grundy is frankly doing his bit. Given we doled out so many stupid contracts (Mayne, Beams, Treloar, Phillips, Stephenson) its likely that wasn't even his idea.

What might have been? The moneyball option was to trade Grundy in 2018, and get 2 first rounders (probably inside the 10) in return. Do a Hawthorn by picking up some old rucks on one year contracts and milk 3-4 seasons out of them for third rounders, and stack the midfield. I don't know if Bucks had the kind of leadership skills to keep the team together if we were horse trading them like that, and Ed's combination of enthusiastic loyalty and terrible contract management means it could never have happened.

Like i said, i’m happy to cop criticism of him, but saying Hickey is better is literal lunacy. Every category you just criticised Grundy for, he is better than Tom hickey in. So what exactly is the basis for taking a 30 year old hickey over Grundy, may i ask?

You'd give Grundy a bit of a chop-out after having the incident with his neck earlier this year. Clearly that would hamper you with overhead marks.

All this pitchfork and torch action... over a 7 year contract you'd expect 1 or 2 mid-strength seasons.

not at the start of the contract lol. You would expect that at the tail end of contract.

Like i said, i’m happy to cop criticism of him, but saying Hickey is better is literal lunacy. Every category you just criticised Grundy for, he is better than Tom hickey in. So what exactly is the basis for taking a 30 year old hickey over Grundy, may i ask?
ffs, what are you going on about? my original post was that hickey has had a better year than grundy. You are just going off on a grundy defender tangent. did i say that Hickey was a better player?
I was talking about where I rank Grundy this year and I have him behind five others and Hickey was one of them. fmd,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back