Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So we paid the market rate, grundy is great is the theme.

But no one else would take on his contract? (even though its at market rate)

Does not make complete sense but all good.

Have i missed anything?
It's not the rate, it's the length. That is why clubs would be apprehensive. Moreover, the clubs in need of a ruck to round out their list (WB, Geelong spring to mind immediately) have no funds

It's not the rate, it's the length. That is why clubs would be apprehensive. Moreover, the clubs in need of a ruck to round out their list (WB, Geelong spring to mind immediately) have no funds

Kangaroos clearly have the cap space - they are willing to take on a player from the Suns in a salary dump.

Hawthorn also have the salary cap space it seems.

Kangaroos clearly have the cap space - they are willing to take on a player from the Suns in a salary dump.

Hawthorn also have the salary cap space it seems.
Kangaroos have Todd Goldstein, who is still one of the premier ruckmen in the competition. They're also rebuilding.

Hawthorn are rebuilding too, hence why they are potentially looking at offloading Mitchell. They'd have no interest in using their space on a 27 year-old who is contracted for many more years.

Again, no realistic suitors.

Kangaroos have Todd Goldstein, who is still one of the premier ruckmen in the competition. They're also rebuilding.

Hawthorn are rebuilding too, hence why they are potentially looking at offloading Mitchell. They'd have no interest in using their space on a 27 year-old who is contracted for many more years.

Again, no realistic suitors.

Seems very strange that a ruckman who is supposedly rated, is not really valued that highly. How many more years does he have left now?

So we paid the market rate, grundy is great is the theme.

But no one else would take on his contract? (even though its at market rate)

Does not make complete sense but all good.

Have i missed anything?

Because anyone who thinks the ‘market rate’ for Grundy was to be one of the top 5 paid players in the league is an idiot.

Because anyone who thinks the ‘market rate’ for Grundy was to be one of the top 5 paid players in the league is an idiot.
Given he was a top 5 player in the competition at the time of signing, it makes sense. Especially given the numerous poorer players on a similar salary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GW mentioned today that Brodie is one of the best four or five rucks in the comp.

(I assume Gawn, Darcy, Nic Nat, Goldstein with Grundy in that mix - a slight fall from grace when 18 months ago or so he would have been possibly considered as the best or top two.

Then mentioned there are options re ruck and we may draft another ruck etc Opportunity for Mason etc.

GW mentioned today that Brodie is one of the best four or five rucks in the comp.

(I assume Gawn, Darcy, Nic Nat, Goldstein with Grundy in that mix - a slight fall from grace when 18 months ago or so he would have been possibly considered as the best or top two.

Then mentioned there are options re ruck and we may draft another ruck etc Opportunity for Mason etc.
Id have Hickey ahead of him also

A ruckman who’s not a terribly good tapper and rarely takes overhead makes. Teams play 2 ruckman against him and his endurance and ball winning ability, his greatest strengths, are nullified. Tough gig but he wanted the big $$$ and long term deal, so he needs to deal with it. Always gives consistent effort but performance has been very inconsistent and poor last 2 years. Way to easily negated. He needs to reinvent himself. He was a decent mark in U18’s. That’s gone to shit.

Maybe better luck next trade period perhaps …….or the following 5. He calls himself the unicorn. Should change it to the albatross.

A ruckman who’s not a terribly good tapper and rarely takes overhead makes. Teams play 2 ruckman against him and his endurance and ball winning ability, his greatest strengths, are nullified. Tough gig but he wanted the big $$$ and long term deal, so he needs to deal with it. Always gives consistent effort but performance has been very inconsistent and poor last 2 years. Way to easily negated. He needs to reinvent himself. He was a decent mark in U18’s. That’s gone to sh*t.

Maybe better luck next trade period perhaps …….or the following 5.
I think it's indicative of both a concerted effort by the rest of the league to negate his strengths and an indictment of our ad hoc coaching attitudes that fail to work with our ruck/roving division to counteract.

I think it's indicative of both a concerted effort by the rest of the league to negate his strengths and an indictment of our ad hoc coaching attitudes that fail to work with our ruck/roving division to counteract.

That is what a quality midfielder has to overcome when they are tagged, or what a quality forward has to deal with an intercept defender. Or a play maker on half back when the opposition play a defensive forward to shut them down.

As hard as it is to believe, yes the opposition will try and shut you down.

Now it is time for Grundy to step up. Work with the coaches and formulate a plan for when the opposition play two ruckman on the ground at once.

Simple as that.

Smart man GW. Lovely loving backhanded compliment.

You know I'm right gouki, but I admire your passion when it comes to Grundy
I don't know of any Sydney fan who would agree with you, and I know plenty (grew up in South Melbourne). I certainly do not think your post resembles anything close to "right"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back