Mega Thread Brownlow Medal: Matthew Priddis (WCE)

Remove this Banner Ad

What an absolute joke.

No other West Coast player polled more than 10 votes and they had the easiest draw beating up on the shit teams. Such an unworthy winner.

He didn't make the All Australian team for a reason.
n62ano.gif

Sure didn't see this coming, especially since the Eagles missed the finals. But Priddis is a worthy winner.

Interesting 345 page thread on Priddis on the Weagles board.

Remember many Eagles supporter calling for his head on here after the loss to Essendon.

Him out-polling every other player in the comp is why it was ridiculous. Can you, honestly, having him watched him in every game say that he was the best player in the competition?

No Priddis isn't the best player in the competition, Ablett is, but Ablett missed 7 games so someone else had to win it.

lol at all the bitter Freo supporter moaning about Fyfe. Don't worry about his suspension earlier in the year, the idiot got himself suspended again later in the year and was lucky not to go a third time for running into Mackie's head while Mackie had it bent down trying to pick the ball up.

'Oh, but he would've won it, but he missed 4 games'

See above re : Ablett.

Ablett essentially had 8 games where he wasn't going to poll if you count the actual game when he popped his shoulder.

Thanks to the clowns (they're normally really good actually) at watchafl.afl.com.au not putting the reply up yet, this thread was not just the only, but a pretty bloody good way to recreate the tension of the count, some absolute gold in here :thumbsu:.

Clearly the umpires have absolute NFI who played well this season and just go on reputations with other players...

Boak was good this year, Gray a lot better, only till the media noticed did they notice... idiots.
Danger played a handful of good games, Rory was far better...
So many other players got dudded too, a few from Hawthorn spring to mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shame about his relationship with the coach...
Was he involved, too? Weren't Walker and Van Berlo the names being thrown around? Am not on top of it at all from over here, to be honest.

Was he involved, too? Weren't Walker and Van Berlo the names being thrown around? Am not on top of it at all from over here, to be honest.
He would have been the most influential of the lot.

1. Voting system is flawed because the fixture is uneven, therefore not all team have equally hard games so voting round-by-round just reiterates the unevenness of the field

2. Voting system is flawed (2) because of the 1-2-3 framework. The best player of a game gets awarded 3 votes max whereas some individual performances even being top on the field deserve more or less than these comparatively to others.

3. Umpires aren't the best placed to judge who the best player in a game is (coaches are better placed, as are the players themselves)

4. Umpires are biased as they will tend to award votes to the player they notice more, not the one who has put in the best performance (i.e. reward ball magnets). And that is understandable as they have other things to worry about in a game

5. History shows they get it wrong more often than not in terms of determining the 'best' player of the year (the 'fairest' is awarded by the negative with the concept of making players who got suspended ineligible)

I understand it's a 'tradition' and people have fun watching the night and the players' WAGs, but the award is just not worth the hype.

Haha I honestly thought I was dreaming last night. I know most people on the eagles board don't like him but I've always thought he is important to our team. By no means a superstar but always deserves selection. Another year of consistency really. Nothing too classy and nothing too crappy. Add injury and suspensions to the usual brownlow pollers and he was bound to be right up there this year.
Feels great to have a prediction pan out. Even it was kinda jokingly.

People know you don't have to be the best player in the gam to win the award. You only need to be in he top 3 players of any given week to accumulate enough points to win it.

I think it's a great win. Bloke came through the system the hard way and continues o do his job week in week out. Polled in 13 games out of 23 (or however many he played). Showed he's consistant as opposed to brilliant.

People know you don't have to be the best player in the gam to win the award. You only need to be in he top 3 players of any given week to accumulate enough points to win it.

I think it's a great win. Bloke came through the system the hard way and continues o do his job week in week out. Polled in 13 games out of 23 (or however many he played). Showed he's consistant as opposed to brilliant.

Exactly, polling in 13 out of 22 games proves it was no fluke and people bagging the umpires are kidding themselves. It's not like it was a one off thing where you could maybe question a poor decision but 13 times DIFFERENT umpires judged him to be in the best 3 players on the ground.

1. Voting system is flawed because the fixture is uneven, therefore not all team have equally hard games so voting round-by-round just reiterates the unevenness of the field

2. Voting system is flawed (2) because of the 1-2-3 framework. The best player of a game gets awarded 3 votes max whereas some individual performances even being top on the field deserve more or less than these comparatively to others.

3. Umpires aren't the best placed to judge who the best player in a game is (coaches are better placed, as are the players themselves)

4. Umpires are biased as they will tend to award votes to the player they notice more, not the one who has put in the best performance (i.e. reward ball magnets). And that is understandable as they have other things to worry about in a game

5. History shows they get it wrong more often than not in terms of determining the 'best' player of the year (the 'fairest' is awarded by the negative with the concept of making players who got suspended ineligible)

I understand it's a 'tradition' and people have fun watching the night and the players' WAGs, but the award is just not worth the hype.
I guess that's why most on here rate the coaches award as a better reflection of the best player of the year.

No harm in the Brownlow though, in fact I kind of like that the most prestigious players award is inherently flawed and can throw up surprises. Probably the reason it's so highly followed.

Congrats to Priddis too. All class in his speech.

On a side note, for someone who seems quite obsessed with his image I thought Chad Wingard was terribly dressed last night when he picked up his award. Both suit buttons buttoned up, tie knot half way down his shirt and a poorly-fitting suit that looked rented.

Step up your game!

Hope he leaves the Eagles and exposes the rest of their team for the shit sandwich it is
The same shit sandwich that smashed Adelaide in Adelaide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Brownlow Medal: Matthew Priddis (WCE)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back