Mega Thread Brownlow Medal: Matthew Priddis (WCE)

Remove this Banner Ad

Averages 18 effective disposals per game - 22nd in the league. Deal with it.

Yep. And despite averaging 28.5 possessions a match (4th in the league), he only averaged 2.4 clangers a match, putting him outside the top 100 for that stat... And the top five for average clangers per match? Martin, Ablett, Franklin, Rockliff and Johnson.

Honestly, people need to recognise that their own pre-conceived notions about how certain players go about it can quite often be wrong. Priddis had a cracking year in a team where not too many performed consistently. Hence, him polling in 14 games. While I certainly think that it's disappointing that truly great players will never win a Brownlow, you can't begrudge the guy his win. Bloody hell, he tore the Crows a new one this year and anyone suggesting he is a "spud" should simply be quietly ignored. Their opinion is worthless.

5. History shows they get it wrong more often than not in terms of determining the 'best' player of the year (the 'fairest' is awarded by the negative with the concept of making players who got suspended ineligible)

if you look at the previous 10 years how many players didn't have great careers and deserve the win. The only one would be Cooney and he wrecked his knee at the end of the year.

The umps do a pretty good job. If the media was doing it Buddy Franklin would have won.

He was embarrassed to receive the award, You could tell he didn't want to be there.

I feel sorry for him because for the rest of his career he will be linked to Woewodin.

It definitely helps to have a bunch of spuds surrounding you. did WCE win any games without Priddis polling?
Priddis didn't get votes in our first two games against the bulldogs and Melbourne which we won.

Yep. And despite averaging 28.5 possessions a match (4th in the league), he only averaged 2.4 clangers a match, putting him outside the top 100 for that stat... And the top five for average clangers per match? Martin, Ablett, Franklin, Rockliff and Johnson.

Honestly, people need to recognise that their own pre-conceived notions about how certain players go about it can quite often be wrong. Priddis had a cracking year in a team where not too many performed consistently. Hence, him polling in 14 games. While I certainly think that it's disappointing that truly great players will never win a Brownlow, you can't begrudge the guy his win. Bloody hell, he tore the Crows a new one this year and anyone suggesting he is a "spud" should simply be quietly ignored. Their opinion is worthless.
Good to see you can see past the unjustified hate .
That game vs the crows priddis got 1 vote and it was probably his best of the year . His clearance work and vision to find team mates by hand was elite and almost the best you would ever see !
He also tore collingwood a new one twice and almost set a record with 18 tackles vs Richmond . He is a quiet achiever and now gets the recognition he deserves. Sure he can shank a couple of kicks a game and all eagles supporters know this but that's the price you pay for a bloke that wins the ball for your team 15 times a game . His Disposal efficiency isn't any lower than most other inside contested ball winners

Congratulations Pridda on joining only Haydn Bunton Sr as the only Sandover Medallist to win a Brownlow Medal later in your VFL/AFL career. Great night for Western Australian footy.

Hang your head in shame AA selectors.
Great news though, he's going after the "Coleman" next year.

Good to see you can see past the unjustified hate .
That game vs the crows priddis got 1 vote and it was probably his best of the year . His clearance work and vision to find team mates by hand was elite and almost the best you would ever see !
He also tore collingwood a new one twice and almost set a record with 18 tackles vs Richmond . He is a quiet achiever and now gets the recognition he deserves. Sure he can shank a couple of kicks a game and all eagles supporters know this but that's the price you pay for a bloke that wins the ball for your team 15 times a game . His Disposal efficiency isn't any lower than most other inside contested ball winners

Our equivalent is Scott Thompson. Priddis deserves an AA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if you look at the previous 10 years how many players didn't have great careers and deserve the win. The only one would be Cooney and he wrecked his knee at the end of the year.

The umps do a pretty good job. If the media was doing it Buddy Franklin would have won.

Nope that doesn't cut it for me. Sure, Swan deserved a Brownlow and Judd did too between the 2010 and 2011 years, but they got the years wrong. It is meant to give an award to the best and fairest player of the home and away season and it just doesn't deliver on that.

Franklin would have been a more worthy winner this year in my opinion. I'm pretty sure if I was to ask you before yesterday which AFL player had the best year, and even if you sat down and watched every single game of the season in a row, Priddis is not the name you would come up with. And it just shows the award is very flawed so 'shouldn't' be treated as the most prestigious award in the game. Tradition dictates it is treated as such, but I'm hoping logic and reason will overcome that eventually.

In the end a priddis win isn't as big a shock as you might think played like every game and always gets 30touches and loads of clearances is west coasts best mid. Umps don't see de so that argument is meaningless. In a year where fyfe missed games from suspension and Ablett through injury it makes sense. I feel for Ablett though because no one would of got close to him

Franklin would have been a more worthy winner this year in my opinion. I'm pretty sure if I was to ask you before yesterday which AFL player had the best year, and even if you sat down and watched every single game of the season in a row, Priddis is not the name you would come up with.

most people would have said Fyfe or Ablett, both of whom missed a heap of the season. Considering that Priddis was passable.

Priddis had a good season playing with a bunch of potatoes in the midfield. It was like when people say Modra was cooked when he got to Freo. Wrong. He practically walked on water in '99, kicking 71 goals while playing for an absolutely shit team.

most people would have said Fyfe or Ablett, both of whom missed a heap of the season. Considering that Priddis was passable.

Priddis had a good season playing with a bunch of potatoes in the midfield. It was like when people say Modra was cooked when he got to Freo. Wrong. He practically walked on water in '99, kicking 71 goals while playing for an absolutely shit team.

Fyfe, Ablett, Franklin, Kennedy, Selwood. That's who 'most people' would have.

Playing with a bunch of potatoes is not a good argument, it probably makes a decent but not elite player look better than he is, which obviously is part of the flaws of the award I was listing.

If he'd played the whole season, he would have ended up close to 30 votes, well clear of anyone else. He'll win it next year anyway.

Would have probably got more than 30. They had an easy run home where Ablett was expected to dominate those teams. Even in the game he got injured, he was playing pretty good and had 19 disposals and was in the umpires eye. Reminded me of Judd's first half of the 2007 season before he got injured.

Is anybody able to post footage of Mike Fitzpatrick and that villainous music?
If you jump to about the 3:30 mark of this, it's there, might be others in better quality, not sure. Didn't notice first time around, but is spooky, would be a better choice to accompany him tipping poison into a town's water supply or stabbing Caesar in the back:

Playing with a bunch of potatoes is not a good argument, it probably makes a decent but not elite player look better than he is, which obviously is part of the flaws of the award I was listing.

it is harder to play well in a shit team also. Just ask Des Headland. Priddis had basically no support in the middle all year.

If you jump to about the 3:30 mark of this, it's there, might be others in better quality, not sure. Didn't notice first time around, but is spooky, would be a better choice to accompany him tipping poison into a town's water supply or stabbing Caesar in the back:

Looked like a deer in headlights. Brownlow medal needs to be reformed. Too many of the greats miss out on it to be taken seriously as the highest individual accolade in the sport. Nothing against Priddis its just that it looks silly to have his name on the honour role while guys like Carey, Matthews and Ablett Snr aren't.

Fyfe, Ablett, Franklin, Kennedy, Selwood. That's who 'most people' would have.

The Brownlow is an anachronism. It passed it's use by date 20 years ago. The entire concept of the award is flawed if it is meant to deduce the best performed player over the season. 3-2-1 ... what in hell is that? Best on ground played 3 times better than 3rd best? I could go on about the Brownlow, but I won't because I've posted it all before.

If they really must have an award for the best player, and it seems they must, they need to think long and hard about building a better model.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Brownlow Medal: Matthew Priddis (WCE)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back