Mega Thread Brownlow Medal: Matthew Priddis (WCE)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ablett, Fyfe, Dangerfield, Boak, Pendlebury, Selwood, Lewis, Kennedy, Rockliff, Cotchin, Heppell, Swallow, Gray....many of these names made AA in 2014, but i''ll be buggered if i could find a place for Priddis to play in an opposition team to the AA side? Obviously i am way off with my assessment that Priddis is not in the best 44 players in the land.

Fyfe will win a Brownlow soon enough and Ablett might yet win another one, i think Selwood will be forever a Brownlow bridesmaid. I don't think he will ever win one. It just goes to show, if you look different and stand out and with such an array of stars having a stella year you might find that Goldilocks is sleeping in your bed and eaten all your porridge!!

The Brownlow is an anachronism. It passed it's use by date 20 years ago. The entire concept of the award is flawed if it is meant to deduce the best performed player over the season. 3-2-1 ... what in hell is that? Best on ground played 3 times better than 3rd best? I could go on about the Brownlow, but I won't because I've posted it all before.

If they really must have an award for the best player, and it seems they must, they need to think long and hard about building a better model.

You've got a point. If a player was 4th best in every game of their career, they'd be elite and yet they wouldn't poll a single Brownlow vote.

Have you heard the rumours coming out of Adelaide about Dangerfield? Some are saying the rest of the players don't like him and there will be an exodus if Danger is made captain over Sloane. And Boomer lol.

Come on man, Boomer and Danger >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Priddis.

Especially Danger.

Nope that doesn't cut it for me. Sure, Swan deserved a Brownlow and Judd did too between the 2010 and 2011 years, but they got the years wrong. It is meant to give an award to the best and fairest player of the home and away season and it just doesn't deliver on that.

Franklin would have been a more worthy winner this year in my opinion. I'm pretty sure if I was to ask you before yesterday which AFL player had the best year, and even if you sat down and watched every single game of the season in a row, Priddis is not the name you would come up with. And it just shows the award is very flawed so 'shouldn't' be treated as the most prestigious award in the game. Tradition dictates it is treated as such, but I'm hoping logic and reason will overcome that eventually.

I'm not really sure how it's possible to award the medal to the wrong person. Please explain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True. Trent Cotchn got 18 votes.

But seriously, Priddis' win is laughable... and I really like Priddis. I had him down for a top 5 place but winning the thing over much more deserving players like Sewood, Ablett, Kennedy, Gray or even Buddy was pretty shocking. But well done to him.

Why are any of those players more deserving? You had him top 5, in a 700 or 800 player pool. That's pretty rarified air, surely it's not too much of a stretch then for him to win it?

Selwood had a big quiet patch in the middle of the season.

Ablett basically missed 8 games if you count the one he actually got injured in.

Kennedy missed games.

Buddy had a slow start to he season.

Gray would have been no more a deserving winner than Priddis if he'd got up, same for the rest that you've listed.

It was a perfect storm for Priddis, he polled consistenly for the whole season while the more fancied contenders were falling over. Doesn' mean he isn't a worthy winner.

We all know he's not the best player in the competition but that's not how it works for the Brownlow.

Why are any of those players more deserving? You had him top 5, in a 700 or 800 player pool. That's pretty rarified air, surely it's not too much of a stretch then for him to win it?

Selwood had a big quiet patch in the middle of the season.

Ablett basically missed 8 games if you count the one he actually got injured in.

Kennedy missed games.

Buddy had a slow start to he season.

Gray would have been no more a deserving winner than Priddis if he'd got up, same for the rest that you've listed.

It was a perfect storm for Priddis, he polled consistenly for the whole season while the more fancied contenders were falling over. Doesn' mean he isn't a worthy winner.

We all know he's not the best player in the competition but that's not how it works for the Brownlow.
Because he didn't have a Brownlow-worthy season. And this is coming from a guy who had $30 on him @ $12 odds to win the thing.

It wasn't even his best personal season. He was playing in a team outside the 8. Selwood, Ablett, Gray and Kennedy all had better seasons (which you can see by looking at their media award and All-Australian nominations). It just shows that playing in a team where no one takes votes can play a big part.

Selwood and Gray both had far more standout games than Priddis, but their backchatting to the umps obviously cost them votes. Kennedy had a better season but had to fight with 5 other blokes for votes each week. Franklin, same problem + the fact it took him a while to settle.

Again, I really like Priddis as a player and defend him against WCE supporters who want him traded for a 4th rounder. But this Brownlow win will go down as one of the worst of all time. Even the man himself looked embarrassed on stage last night.

Because that person wasn't the 'best' player fo the home and away season that year.
According to who? Not the umpires who award votes every game. The Brownlow Medal is what it is and in this regard, Priddis deserves to have his name etched in history alongside Ablett, Judd, Woewodin, Goodes and co. If people can't accept this, would they prefer to not even have a vote count, and just award the player with the shortest odds? How fun...

Last edited:
Because he didn't have a Brownlow-worthy season. And this is coming from a guy who had $30 on him @ $12 odds to win the thing.

It wasn't even his best personal season. He was playing in a team outside the 8. Selwood, Ablett, Gray and Kennedy all had better seasons (which you can see by looking at their media award and All-Australian nominations). It just shows that playing in a team where no one takes votes can play a big part.

Again, I really like Priddis as a player and defend him against WCE supporters who want him traded for a 4th rounder. But this Brownlow win will go down as one of the worst of all time. Even the man himself looked embarrassed on stage last night.

He clearly had a Brownlow worthy season. He is wearing the thing. You don't get votes for being shit.

Some players are Brownlow polling freaks and Priddis is one of them.

You can't tell me Dangerfield had a season that was equal to Kennedy. But again, he's a polling freak. That's the system.

But Dangerfield didn't win.

5f9da0a128ba1b8a3f2319ceea9f11e9.jpg

But Dangerfield didn't win.
Dangerfield was lacklustre all year (mainly due to injury) bar a few standout performances and got within 5 votes of the winner. Didn't even make All Australian squad.

But again, that's the system. Some players get favoured more than others regardless of their overall performances.

Even though Priddis still would have won not sure if he deserved a 2 in the last game. Wonder if it was a ploy by the AFL so Fyfe didn't win ineligibly. I mean Priddis wasn't even named in WCE best players that game....

Dangerfield was lacklustre all year (mainly due to injury) bar a few standout performances and got within 5 votes of the winner. Didn't even make All Australian squad.

But again, that's the system. Some players get favoured more than others regardless of their overall performances.
Exactly, like Jobe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Brownlow Medal: Matthew Priddis (WCE)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back