Review Bulldogs win the true battle of the west - Rd 15

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry for the lateness guys, I was enjoying the win and as always...

Expected Score / Actual Score
WB: 122 / 98 (-24)

WC: 44 / 43 (+1)

Expected Margin / Actual Margin: 78 / 55 (-23)

Centre Bounce Attendance
22 - English
19 - Bontempelli
18 - Liberatore
17 - B. Smith
15 - Macrae
1 - Bruce

Ruck Contests (Hitouts / To Advantage)
70 - English (23 / 11)
6 - Cordy (2 / 0)
4 - Bruce (0 / 0)
2 - Hannan (0 / 0)
1 - Macrae (0 / 0)

Hitouts To Advantage

WB: 11
WC: 14

First Possessions
WB: 40
WC: 37

Clearances / Effective Clearances
WB: 44 / 36

WC: 29 / 22

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 66%
WC: 56%

Forward Half Kicking Efficiency

WB: 52%
WC: 54%

Defensive Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 73%
WC: 74%

Forward Half Contested Marks
WB: 9
WC: 8

Defensive Half Contested Marks
WB: 2
WC: 10

Score Launches
3 - Bontempelli, Dale, English, Smith
2 - Bruce, Duryea, Macrae, McLean, Richards, Williams
1 - Daniel, Cordy, Hunter, Johannisen, Liberatore, Naughton, Scott, Wallis, Weightman

Targets Inside 50
12 - Bruce
11 - Rushed
10 - Naughton
7 - Weightman
4 - Hannan
3 - Bontempelli, English, Scott
1 - Wallis

Shots At Goal
WB: 36 (36% - Expected Accuracy: 49%)

WC: 13 (43% - Expected Accuracy: 44%)

Scoring Profile
Set Shot: 7.6
Snap: 3.4
On Run: 3.4
Mark Play On: 0.0
Ground Kick: 0.1

Scoring Distance
0M-15M: 2.1
15M-30M: 6.3
31M-40M: 4.4
41M-50M: 1.3
51+: 0.4

Defensive 50 Marks
WB: 14 (0 Contested)
WC: 50 (3 Contested)

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks
WB: 1
WC: 6

Defensive Half Turnovers
WB: 20
WC: 38

Forward Half Turnovers
WB: 52
WC: 40

Unforced Turnovers
WB: 10
WC: 16

Unforced Turnovers By Player
1 - Bontempelli, Bruce, Dale, English, Garcia, Liberatore, Macrae, Scott, Smith, Weightman

No Pressure Errors
WB: 8
WB: 8

Turnovers/Frees/50M Penalties Punished By Goals
1 - Cordy, Dale, Williams

Pressure Gauge
Q1

WB: 192 (Above Average)
WC: 211 (Elite)

Q2
WB: 192 (Above Average)

WC: 169 (Poor)

Q3
WB: 138 (Poor)

WC: 154 (Poor)

Q4
WB: 147 (Poor)

WC: 151 (Poor)

Match
WB: 169 (Poor)

WC: 174 (Below Average)

Free Kick Summary
View attachment 1165907

Score Sources
View attachment 1165908

Those pressure gauge numbers were interesting. Not sure what to make of them!

Fantastic win from start to finish

Very mature performance also.

Gards going down is an issue with Wood out also. We have no one able to fill that spot so Croz will need to step up and pull his finger out.
Thought Cordy stepped up a bit and Williams can take on most 2nd and 3rd talks till one of Gardner or Wood is ready

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

‘First 2 quarters were intense, they dropped off a bit in the second.

Second half both sides tired quickly. Hardly a surprise given the conditions. Also WCE reverted to uncontested kick/mark game. Was that because they had underdone players?

Hard to apply pressure when we had so much of the ball in the second half. The pressure gauge is really only useful when analysing small patches of the game (ie last 10 mins) or the entire match overall but I include them anyway.

Under the formula, each disposal is categorised as being under physical pressure, implied pressure (either being corralled or chased), no pressure (general play) or set position (mark or free kick).

Weighting is given to each category, with a player applying an "implied" pressure act receiving 1.79 points, while a physical pressure act receives 3.75 points.

Tackles that stop opposition disposals draw the top rating for physical pressure.

The melting about the umpiring over on the Eagles board is something to behold, we had a slight advantage but nothing out of the ordinary given the lack of crowd influence. I suppose they're just so used to ridiculously favourable umpiring at home consistently that it's strange viewing for them for it not to happen.

Also, the complaining about the umpiring when they literally pinched a win they shouldn't have due to the 11m pass from Ryan to Kennedy so they could beat Richmond because paid by the umpires because they didn't want to get lynched by the home crowd is really something. If a magic wand could create fair unbiased accurate umpiring for all Eagles games is something that Eagles fans want, I'd be more than happy to agree with them on that!
Umpires really.

After what should of been a 90 point loss.

I just can’t….

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our best win since 2016 for mine. Doesn’t mean we’ll replicate 2016 but it sure does feel good to absolutely dominate the hardest away trip in footy (or has Brissy @ the GABBA taken that title) and still leave something on the table.

How many smothers did we have? Felt like at least 10, with JJ and Cody leading the charge. Felt like Zaine got belted by Oscar Allen in the third which felt like might cost us. Maybe I’m being harsh.

Huge chance to be 15-3 heading into our next clash with the Dees.

They forget JJ got bumped in the jaw and Bont had his face ripped off and both no free kicks.

Given we were first to the footy all day and they didn't touch it in the 4th, I actually thought the Weagles got the better end of the empiring all day.

The only obvious one that didn't go their way was calebs front on spoil of shuey.

The kick from ryan to Kennedy for their first goal shouldn't have been paid, and a number of other poor frees to them or not paid to us.

A shout-out to a few less celebrated players:
  • Taylor Duryea has been putting together a fine body of work this season. Even the Triple M radio call which had trouble naming Dogs players singled him out as having a very good game. Before the season started many of us thought of Crozier as a lock for HBF and Duryea as being on the fringe of the best 22. Their situation has been reversed now which is kind of good ... but kind of sad at the same time.
  • Bailey Smith has been below his best for a while and during the week a few were calling for him to spend time in the VFL. Baz obviously reads BF (Hi Baz!) because he responded in great style today. I said a few days ago that all the focus had been on how our midfield would be back to its fearsome best when Adz and Dunkz return but we had been ignoring how Smith had gone missing. If Smith got back to his best it would take us a long way to the return of our midfield dominance even without Treloar and Dunkley. Right on cue, Bailey Smith has proved my point. I don't know what flicked the switch for him but let's hope the SuperBaz of 2020 is back to stay.
  • Credit to the coaches and to Jason Johannisen for re-inventing his role. It's taken a while but it shows that you can teach an old dog new tricks. He was being squeezed out of his old role with our new look defence and if he couldn't adapt his future looked limited. He's not getting big numbers but I think he's comfortably in our best 22 for the foreseeable future.
  • Congrats also to Ed Richards. I've been a sceptic but he did pretty well for his first game back after an extended time on the injury list. Not an easy game to make his return either. He needs to consolidate that next week. Hopefully keeps on improving. Having players like Richards and McLean resume their career in mid-year - and Dunkley and Treloar later in the season - will give us some fresher legs in the finals. That could become an important advantage in September when a lot of bodies are feeling bashed up and fatigued.

Last edited:
A shout-out to a few less celebrated players:
  • Taylor Duryea has been putting together a fine body of work this season. Even the Triple M radio call which had trouble naming Dogs players singled him out as having a very good game. Before the season started many of us thought of Crozier as a lock for HBF and Duryea as being on the fringe of the best 22. Their situation has been reversed now which is kind of good ... but kind of sad at the same time.
Taylor has been immense. Big fan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Bulldogs win the true battle of the west - Rd 15

Remove this Banner Ad

Back