Review Bulldogs win the true battle of the west - Rd 15

Remove this Banner Ad

A shout-out to a few less celebrated players:
  • Taylor Duryea has been putting together a fine body of work this season. Even the Triple M radio call which had trouble naming Dogs players singled him out as having a very good game. Before the season started many of us thought of Crozier as a lock for HBF and Duryea as being on the fringe of the best 22. Their situation has been reversed now which is kind of good ... but kind of sad at the same time.
  • Bailey Smith has been below his best for a while and during the week a few were calling for him to spend time in the VFL. Baz obviously reads BF (Hi Baz!) because he responded in great style today. I said a few days ago that all the focus had been on how our midfield would be back to its fearsome best when Adz and Dunkz return but we had been ignoring how Smith had gone missing. If Smith got back to his best it would take us a long way to the return of our midfield dominance even without Treloar and Dunkley. Right on cue, Bailey Smith has proved my point. I don't know what flicked the switch for him but let's hope the SuperBaz of 2020 is back to stay.
  • Credit to the coaches and to Jason Johannisen for re-inventing his role. It's taken a while but it shows that you can teach an old dog new tricks. He was being squeezed out of his old role with our new look defence and if he couldn't adapt his future looked limited. He's not getting big numbers but I think he's comfortably in our best 22 for the foreseeable future.
  • Congrats also to Ed Richards. I've been a sceptic but he did pretty well for his first game back after an extended time on the injury list. Not an easy game to make his return either. He needs to consolidate that next week. Hopefully keeps on improving. Having players like Richards and McLean resume their career in mid-year - and Dunkley and Treloar later in the season - will give us some fresher legs in the finals. That could become an important advantage in September when a lot of bodies are feeling bashed up and fatigued.

Well heres the thing, (ive not seen the game yet) but bev said in the presser that Smith played as a follower (for lack of a better word) rather than wing today, and JJ had some time on the wing.

I think the positional changes are what resulted in significant performance improvements for both players - for JJ its obvious, more space to work in suits him, but can someone explain why it obviously does not suit Baz?

Here’s the Ed Richards contested mark v McGovern for those asking, a few minutes left in the 3rd quarter just after English missed a shot at goal

If McGovern connected with that ugly swipe after the mark Ed might have woken up in 2 weeks quarantine in South Australia

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The MC did get the changes right today.
Richards and Garcia added badly needed pace and football smarts.
Crozier has slipped behind a few and will need to work on his disposal to break back in.
R.Smith is handy cover, though does not have the same zip as Richards and Garcia.
Best game Richard has played since his first year across HB ... may he long stay there!

When passing by foot to teammates Bont hits targets so well. I don't know why that doesn't translate to goal kicking. I think the solution is that when Bont is lining up for a shot Bruce or Naughts should set up behind the goal against the fence. Or, when the stands are empty, about five rows deep. Then, rather than taking a shot, Bont can pass it. If the ball just happens to pass between the big sticks... well, we'll take the six points.;)

Sorry for the lateness guys, I was enjoying the win and as always...

Expected Score / Actual Score
WB: 122 / 98 (-24)

WC: 44 / 43 (+1)

Expected Margin / Actual Margin: 78 / 55 (-23)

Centre Bounce Attendance
22 - English
19 - Bontempelli
18 - Liberatore
17 - B. Smith
15 - Macrae
1 - Bruce

Ruck Contests (Hitouts / To Advantage)
70 - English (23 / 11)
6 - Cordy (2 / 0)
4 - Bruce (0 / 0)
2 - Hannan (0 / 0)
1 - Macrae (0 / 0)

Hitouts To Advantage

WB: 11
WC: 14

First Possessions
WB: 40
WC: 37

Clearances / Effective Clearances
WB: 44 / 36

WC: 29 / 22

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 66%
WC: 56%

Forward Half Kicking Efficiency

WB: 52%
WC: 54%

Defensive Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 73%
WC: 74%

Forward Half Contested Marks
WB: 9
WC: 8

Defensive Half Contested Marks
WB: 2
WC: 10

Score Launches
3 - Bontempelli, Dale, English, Smith
2 - Bruce, Duryea, Macrae, McLean, Richards, Williams
1 - Daniel, Cordy, Hunter, Johannisen, Liberatore, Naughton, Scott, Wallis, Weightman

Targets Inside 50
12 - Bruce
11 - Rushed
10 - Naughton
7 - Weightman
4 - Hannan
3 - Bontempelli, English, Scott
1 - Wallis

Shots At Goal
WB: 36 (36% - Expected Accuracy: 49%)

WC: 13 (43% - Expected Accuracy: 44%)

Scoring Profile
Set Shot: 7.6
Snap: 3.4
On Run: 3.4
Mark Play On: 0.0
Ground Kick: 0.1

Scoring Distance
0M-15M: 2.1
15M-30M: 6.3
31M-40M: 4.4
41M-50M: 1.3
51+: 0.4

Defensive 50 Marks
WB: 14 (0 Contested)
WC: 50 (3 Contested)

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks
WB: 1
WC: 6

Defensive Half Turnovers
WB: 20
WC: 38

Forward Half Turnovers
WB: 52
WC: 40

Unforced Turnovers
WB: 10
WC: 16

Unforced Turnovers By Player
1 - Bontempelli, Bruce, Dale, English, Garcia, Liberatore, Macrae, Scott, Smith, Weightman

No Pressure Errors
WB: 8
WB: 8

Turnovers/Frees/50M Penalties Punished By Goals
1 - Cordy, Dale, Williams

Pressure Gauge
Q1

WB: 192 (Above Average)
WC: 211 (Elite)

Q2
WB: 192 (Above Average)

WC: 169 (Poor)

Q3
WB: 138 (Poor)

WC: 154 (Poor)

Q4
WB: 147 (Poor)

WC: 151 (Poor)

Match
WB: 169 (Poor)

WC: 174 (Below Average)

Free Kick Summary
View attachment 1165907

Score Sources
View attachment 1165908
Damn 11 hit outs to advantage by Timmy is insane, maybe he can ruck 🤔

Well heres the thing, (ive not seen the game yet) but bev said in the presser that Smith played as a follower (for lack of a better word) rather than wing today, and JJ had some time on the wing.

I think the positional changes are what resulted in significant performance improvements for both players - for JJ its obvious, more space to work in suits him, but can someone explain why it obviously does not suit Baz?

He's not the most precise kick. He can go long but not direct. Coming out of a stoppage that's fine, defence hasn't had as much time to set up so the chaos ball is useful. Even if it is intercepted their forwards haven't had time to push up for the kick and the ground is fairly well spread out so we can neutralise the contest.

By the time it gets to a winger the defence is starting to set up, midfielders are flooding back and if it's intercepted the forwards are ready for the rebound. Finding a target becomes more valuable, it's harder to make the most of a 50/50 ball as we're outnumbered, and turnovers are more easily punished.

Toby McLean makes us a much better team. As does Bazlenk on ball.

My concern is - Dunks and Adz comes back in and all that changes…
Still room for Maclean. If we were picking a finals team tomorrow, I'd say Adz and Dunks in for Hannan and Scott.

Smith will be in the midfield rotations, but rotations will be sharper with Bont, Macrae, Libba, Baz, Dunks and Treloar all getting good looks.

I reckon that's more worrying for our opposition than for us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m 40 years old. When I was a kid I wore the number 7 when I played cos of Douggie Hawkins. As I got a bit older all I wanted to be was Chris Grant. But I’ve never been more excited as a supporter to have a bloke like Naughton playing for the doggies. He might not be the best player in the game (yet) but he’s by far the most exciting.
What a time to be a doggies fan!!
Oh boy, wait till JUH gets his fitness up to speed then.

Current ladder.

1. Melbourne
2. Bulldogs
3. Brisbane
4. Port
5. Geelong
6. Sydney
7. WCE
8. Richmond

How awesome would it be if this was the final ladder?

A home qualifying final for us and Melbourne. If we both win, then there's a high chance both teams will also have home Prelim Finals against interstate teams.

Richmond v Geelong in an Elimination Final. One of them has to lose. Terrific! While the winner will have to play an away final against Port.

Lose our Elimination Final and the reward is a home semi final against the winner of WCE v Sydney. Then playing Melbourne (provided they win their QF) in the prelim isn't the worst thing in the world.
The way the top 4 is now was how i mentioned would be the best for us if it ended that way a week ago, play Brisbane at home in qualifying then Port at home in Prelim. 1954 Grand final re incarnated.

When passing by foot to teammates Bont hits targets so well. I don't know why that doesn't translate to goal kicking. I think the solution is that when Bont is lining up for a shot Bruce or Naughts should set up behind the goal against the fence. Or, when the stands are empty, about five rows deep. Then, rather than taking a shot, Bont can pass it. If the ball just happens to pass between the big sticks... well, we'll take the six points.;)

There were times during Chris Grant’s we said the same. Curious anomalies in two legendary careers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When we have the sight of Naughton having one of the best defensive units shitting themselves in terror under the high ball. I think we can (if we haven't already) put the notion of him being anything but a forward to bed once and forever. That debate is done.

Kudos to Beveridge and Bruce for his selfless game where he played mostly wide, thus not allowing West Coasts KPD to double team Naughton.

I love that this side powers on and buries teams when given half a chance to do so. Its not something that we are used to.
I can’t remember Bruce and Naughton flying for the same ball yesterday. So great that they are learning to split defences and give each other space.

I genuinely think we are witnessing an era that will be talked about for a life time. And it's only just the start.

We have the games number 1 player in his prime, the best key forward contested marking beast and a midfied that refuses to get beaten. We are set for a sustained period of dominance.

Bont to go down as the greatest Bulldog in history. Macrae tracking to be a top 10 Bulldog of all time. Naughton could be anything with some improved accuracy.

Enjoy the ride people, it's going to be good!

Macrae is the best midfielder I've seen in a dogs jumper.

We will be debating whether Bont or Macrae were the better player for the next 30 years.
Bont clearly the better player for me, but the fact that Macrae is our second best midfielder is f***ing ridiculous. If he played for St Kilda he’d have 4 B&F’s under his belt already

Dogs seize moment
Eyrie silence as Eagles’ push for top four takes a hit

BRAD ELBOROUGH
image.ashx

THE Western Bulldogs’ 55-point win over West Coast at Perth Stadium on Sunday can’t be underestimated in terms of this AFL season.
A loss and the Dogs’ hold on to second spot on the ladder was extremely wobbly.
Win, which they ended up doing in style, and they would be in a group of sides eyeing off the advantage a top-two spot brings
The 13.20 (98) to 6.7 (43) win looked ugly at times.
But the 50,000-odd crowd was banned by the WA government only three hours before bounce-down, while the Dogs were in a bus on the way to the game.
That regular noise that gets the Eagles moving when need it wasn’t there when they started to gain some momentum in the third term.
Life is now a lot harder for West Coast, which would have been just a win off second spot with a victory.
Being in the top four has eluded the Eagles for the past couple of seasons and now looks a difficult task again.
Dogs captain Marcus Bontempelli made sure his team overcame a sloppy start against the Eagles.
Then, three goals in the final quarter from Aaron Naughton sealed the result.
After celebrating a great win over Richmond at home, missing several key players, and having a bye to freshen up, the Eagles suffered their biggest loss at Perth Stadium since moving there in 2018.
The Dogs also kept them to their lowest score at the venue.
For the Dogs, it was a first win against West Coast at Perth Stadium and the first against the Eagles in Perth since the 2016 elimination final.
A shoulder injury to defender Ryan Gardner in the third quarter was the only concern for the Dogs.
OFF TARGET EARLY
THE Bulldogs have trailed at quarter-time only once this season (in a round 11 loss to Melbourne) and led West Coast by 13 points at the first change. But they should have had a matchwinning lead as early as that.
In the first term, they went into attack 17 times, compared to the Eagles’ eight and took six marks in goalkicking range.
They had 10 scoring shots to West Coast’s two, but led 2.8 to 1.1. Josh Bruce and Bontempelli missed set shot chances they should have kicked. Bruce had 0.1 on the board, but he had two other shots from inside 50m that failed to score.
BULLDOGS BRING BITE
THE Bulldogs did take intensity into the game.
A week after a devastating after-the-siren loss to Geelong and having spent a week in quarantine in Perth, the Dogs hunted the ball from the first bounce. They went into the quarter-time huddle with 18 more contested possessions than the Eagles, led by Bontempelli, Bailey Smith, Jack Macrae and Lachie Hunter.
They set up many early scoring shots from the 12 turnovers they forced in their front half. And Bontempelli and Tom Liberatore ensured their side controlled clearances.
BACKS TO THE FORE
AT halftime, the Eagles’ top three possession winners were defenders – Brad Sheppard, Josh Rotham and Tom Barrass, who was struggling with a rib-injury sustained in the first term.
The first two quarters were played in wet conditions and Eagles ruckman Nic Naitanui was their highest midfield possession winner, with 12.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Bulldogs win the true battle of the west - Rd 15

Remove this Banner Ad

Back