Review Bulldogs win the true battle of the west - Rd 15

Remove this Banner Ad

It's been posted elsewhere - the Bont thread - but here are the coaches' votes anyway:

West Coast v Western Bulldogs

10 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
8 Bailey Smith (WB)
6 Aaron Naughton (WB)
4 Jack Macrae (WB)
1 Caleb Daniel (WB)
1 Bailey Dale (WB)

Both coaches went 5 Bont / 4 Smith / 3 Naughton / 2 Macrae. One gave his last vote to Dale and the other gave his to Daniel.

Bont leads the field after 15 rounds:

LEADERBOARD

76 Marcus Bontempelli WB

71 Clayton Oliver MELB
60 Ollie Wines PORT
58 Samuel Walsh CARL
56 Touk Miller GCFC
55 Hugh McCluggage BL
55 Darcy Parish ESS
54 David Mundy FRE
53 Max Gawn MELB
51 Zach Merrett ESS
50 Jack Steele STK
48 Rory Laird ADEL
43 Christian Petracca MELB
42 Jack Macrae WB
42 Dustin Martin RICH
42 Nic Naitanui WCE
41 Jarryd Lyons BL
40 Jacob Hopper GWS

Last edited:

That’s why Templeton doesn’t get as much recognition as he deserved. The 15 goal game is about all there is. His Brownlow year which would have left Carey staring in amazement was a minute of hand held Betamax videos taken from the boundary line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That Brownlow year was the best I've seen from a Bulldog. By a long way. Next best for me was either Hardie or the Hawk.

EDIT: I may have to revisit that assessment after this year :)

Last edited:
Is this our most impressive win of the season? I'd rate it #1, ahead of North, St Kilda, Port and Brisbane.
Comfortably. My order would be:

West Coast
Port
Brisbane
St Kilda
North

It's easy to get a run-on against a struggling side like North. I rate wins against the quality of the opposition and any adversity we are facing (playing away, locked down in Perth hotel, injuries, losing a KPD mid-game, genuine 8-point game, rebound from after-the-siren loss to Geelong, etc)

J’agree!

He’s usually one to protect the ball with his body and try take a chest mark. Yesterday he took at least two really strong overhead grabs. His all round game has been excellent this year, and that’s coming from someone who’s doubted his ability in the past.
Hunter is sneakily quite good overhead, seems like he clunks those ones when he really needs to. Probably something that could come out of his kitbag a little more.

I’m no expert on the rule but I would have thought that because Caleb actually punched the ball away in the air first before making contact to the head it should be play on. Cameron Ling on the other hand probably is also no expert on the rule but he had no interest in acknowledging Daniels effort to spoil first - he just wanted to continue his unhinged waffling on about anything that went against his narrative of the Eagles coming back - I’m convinced he lost money on Sportbet yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cameron Ling is a moron. Gives off a few “good bloke” vibes so gets well looked after with media gigs.

I remember when he retired that many were predicting he’d be a head coach soon enough. There’s a very good reason that didn’t eventuate.

Regarding Caleb’s spoil I didn’t agree with Ling saying ‘how could that not be a free kick’...
He had his eyes on the ball and he hit the ball first before that same fist that hit the ball, hit the Eagles player in the head. That for me is NOT a free kick at all. Someone correct me here... if your eyes are on the ball and you hit the ball first then it’s play on. That has always been the rule.

Depends which way you look at it imo. They both compliment each other.

Macrae is definitely the better inside player, Bont the better outside smooth mover.

Bont is more versatile around the ground, Macrae is so dependable.

Macrae's disposal by foot is sublime. I've heard media outlets criticize his disposal, I have no idea where they get this from.
Bont has a more impressive nose...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big Shane was unstoppable when he had his mind on the game, I remember seeing him take Bruce Doull apart at the Western Oval in one game (as well as ripping his head band off and starting a fight). When he was upset he was a scary sight, loved a fight and protected his team mates.

This is my favourite memory of Shane. I was at this game, close to this action down on the fence. Both Shane and Bruce were punching each other and the sounds of the punches as they landed amazed me. Then at the tribunal on Tuesday (?) night they both testified “ we were just pushing and shoving”. Ah the players code when there was no video!

That Brownlow year was the best I've seen from a Bulldog. By a long way. Next best for me was either Hardie or the Hawk.

EDIT: I may have to revisit that assessment after this year :)
No love for Chris Grant in 97?

One thing I will say for West Coast - Simpson comes across as a nice fella. Doesn’t seem to have a bad bone in his body... and my favourite non-dogs player is Josh Kennedy. Superstar that plays by the book every time, again i find it hard not to like him
I met Kennedy a couple years ago, and he's even friendlier than I expected. Easily the nicest footy player I've met and fantastic interacting with even the most annoying fans

West Coast
Port
Brisbane
St Kilda
North

It's easy to get a run-on against a struggling side like North. I rate wins against the quality of the opposition and any adversity we are facing (playing away, locked down in Perth hotel, injuries, losing a KPD mid-game, genuine 8-point game, rebound from after-the-siren loss to Geelong, etc)

I think this was the best, but the Port one a close second. We started really well but Port came storming back and put several goals on in a really short period of time. To regroup and then win the arm wrestle with a baying crowd in the second half was great to watch.

This week they faced a bunch of obstacles but WC didn’t put up the same fight. Still an awesome win though.

One thing I will say for West Coast - Simpson comes across as a nice fella. Doesn’t seem to have a bad bone in his body... and my favourite non-dogs player is Josh Kennedy. Superstar that plays by the book every time, again i find it hard not to like him

Did you see Making Their Mark?

The interaction between Simpson and NicNat was fantastic.

West Coast
Port
Brisbane
St Kilda
North

My personal ratings of the wins this year are:

West Coast
Port Adelaide
St Kilda
Carlton
North Melbourne

I put Carlton in there is because they seem to play out of their skin against us and we could have lost again this year. St kilda because we belted them to get some revenge from last year.

Big Shane was unstoppable when he had his mind on the game, I remember seeing him take Bruce Doull apart at the Western Oval in one game (as well as ripping his head band off and starting a fight). When he was upset he was a scary sight, loved a fight and protected his team mates.
179CDD23-5881-4572-9834-57517A54B309.jpeg The actual Shane Loveless jumper i still have,doesn’t quite fit and I had to stop my wife throwing it out a few time!

My old boss used to live next door to him and would say what a nice bloke he was

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Bulldogs win the true battle of the west - Rd 15

Remove this Banner Ad

Back