Analysis Bullies convincingly beat the Purples 118 - 69

Remove this Banner Ad

Loved the intensity that we brought to this match. Very rarely did we allow easy exits, always getting pressure on the ball carrier where possible. Thought Macrae and Treloar were a lot more effective tonight.

Something for us to build on and helped repair some of the percentage damage.

Go Dogs !!

Pleased to see McNeil make an impression as soon as he came on.
I love Arty and hope he stays in but being busy is not quite enough.
Also pleasantly surprised with O’Brien. A lot more composed and efficient, compared to last year.
Treloar was excellent - I reckon playing alongside Dunkley held him back. He’s taking a lot more responsibility.
Bont, English, Williams, Libba, outstanding.

It was a very pleasing win, but let’s not forget that was Fremantle.

Few thoughts

1. Bont gets the 3, 2, and 1 tonight, what a gun
2. Liam Jones’ fair hit in the second was amazing
3. Serong and Brayshaw are good players, but absolute campaigners who front as tough guys with the best of them.

Pleased to see McNeil make an impression as soon as he came on.
I love Arty and hope he stays in but being busy is not quite enough.
Also pleasantly surprised with O’Brien. A lot more composed and efficient, compared to last year.
Treloar was excellent - I reckon playing alongside Dunkley held him back. He’s taking a lot more responsibility.
Bont, English, Williams, Libba, outstanding.

It was a very pleasing win, but let’s not forget that was Fremantle.

Early last year he was playing as a KPD. He's never been more than a 3rd tall, and can play that role. Same last week, looked solid until Bruce was injured, TOB had to play KPD role, and struggled. Tonight with LJones and Keath, he took a lesser opponent, and again was solid.

I know Fremantle are struggling this season. But still very pleasing to see big improvements in a lot of areas where have struggled with this season. A much more improved inside 50 game. Locking the ball inside 50 with repeat stoppages and 20 tackles. Not letting them get a run on from defence where teams hurt us the most. And much cleaner ball use over all. We seemed to be more open all across the ground.

That game will probably go down as one of Bontempellis top 10 games in his career. So grateful we drafted him. Hopefully he can sustain it for the rest of the year and we win enough games.

Treloar and Libba just keep on producing. Both are as important to our center structure as Bont is.

JUH had one of his best games. May not show on the scoreboard. But he was constantly moving around, getting open and working hard to set up team mates etc. 10 marks tonight

English has finally broken out. Amazing some people are still using the most useless stat in the game, total hit outs. To justify why other rucks are better than him. All I care about is hit outs to advantage, clearances and impact around the ground. Darcy started the game hot, but English worked his way in and takes the chocolates at the finish line in what was a great battle. He is like an anchor in the middle of the field picking off opposition teams kicks from the defensive side.

Great to see some of the old Macrae back today. Whether he is carrying an injury, out of form or has not been used right. He was at his best in the middle when thrown in there when needed as well.

JJ has a bit left in the legs. Found his best position again where he should have always been.

Richards has taken the mantle as our best half back. His two way playing style is just great to watch. He has shut down two good opponents in a row now, without sacrificing his own attacking game.

Arty, really wanted him to score a goal on his home turf. JUH missed the chance to hand ball one off to him after he took a mark 30m out on an angle. He isn't getting heaps of the ball, but he is covering a lot of ground. Seen him in defence, the midfield, the forward line. Constantly chasing and putting pressure on opponents about to kick the ball, forcing them to make a harder kick.

Did someone say trade Williams? No thanks. Great game by him today.

Pleasing to kick a good score today for once after some dour low scoring affairs. Beating the Dockers over there is never easy. Hopefully we can carry this game over to next week, with straighter kicks at goal.

Last edited:
Why does keath mark a ball...not move back behind the mark, and then proceed to try and dispose of the ball right next to his opponent or through his opponent that he's just marked on? It's like I'm watching auskick.
Its really weird kink in his game the number of times he doesn't seem to notice that there is somebody standing the mark right in his face.

Im starting to think that our best defensive set up is one of Jones as the intercept marker, Gardner as the defensive stopper and with TO'B playing as the the 3rd tall.

Last edited:
As said, I don’t have a problem with the booing or even the hypocrisy from the fans.

All fans do it, including us.

It was the players losing their s**t at Lobb that was completely unprofessional.

Freo for years had this small club, chip on the shoulder mentality - you know, as long as we beat West Coast it‘s a good year.

They dropped that and surprise, surprise suddenly became much better and made finals regularly.

Their mentality tonight was laughable. “Let’s teach him a lesson!”

Longmuir and their coaches should have instructed them tonight that Lobb is just another player and not to lose their heads.
It's all a silly pantomime.

Where would Bailey Smith come into this side?

Considering this thread’s evaluation of Toby’s game I think there could be an opening for Bailey

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Libbbbaaaa! He’s a gun.

TOB - I hope he gets a good block of games uninterrupted as he is coming along. Couple solid weeks.

Our fwds finally got moving and we seemed more threatening

Keath - ??? Not sure what we do with him going forward. Needs to be smarter.

Williams - his goals were at important times

We made sure when Freo got a run on we responded by going up a gear.

Good win enjoy

Last edited:
Wait...where's the "Have You Lost Faith in Bevo" thread? 🤔

It's still there. Bevo didn't win this game from the coaching box. Nothing has changed. He still needs to go at season's end.
Quite so. I hope we don't have to have this conversation every time we win.

A number of us have said before let's see how the whole season pans out. We've had these sorts of wins every season ... as well as some inexplicably bad losses. I know it's immediate post game and everybody is feeling up and about but let's not lose perspective on the issue just because we've had one good win (or one bad loss for that matter).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lot to like tonight, Marra up the ground, Williams, Adzy, Jones & ****ing Bont holy shit his yea is next level.

Must admit that win has only pissed me off more because we should have won last week and been 4-2. But would have taken 3-3 coming into the year so genuinely game on, not sure how but we’re in it.

Why does keath mark a ball...not move back behind the mark, and then proceed to try and dispose of the ball right next to his opponent or through his opponent that he's just marked on? It's like I'm watching auskick.
I think he is receiving an undue amount of criticism tonight…but that was a horrible moment. Don’t know what he was thinking.

How good is it to have a four quarter performance!?

That was comprehensive. The big positives are:

We appear much better at defending the ground than last year. Why?

Combination of factors.

1.Jones and O'Brien can both cover the ground as key backs meaning it's only Keath with an iffy gate. JJ is a professional defender and he, Dale and Richards both have wheels. Daniel playing upfield is a smart role of the dice when you have better belief in your ability to defend.

2. Scott and Baker are getting their head around their roles as wings. Baker has been a really nice addition so far. Stoked with him.

3. The balance forward of the ball is way better. Arty and Cody fly around everywhere applying pressure and we have plenty of means to bring the ball to the ground.

Other positives:

Treloar is playing gorgeous footy. He's a beautiful fit in his natural role. Has really clean hands and just skates along. Nice for our mids to win with a good mid sitting on the sidelines still. I thought Freo's mids put up a fight and were a good test. Especially with Darcy as a really tough matchup for Tim.

Bont would have between 9 and 11 Brownlow votes so far. Good on ya lad.

Other tidbits from the game:

-Our methodical ball use is a strength a lot of the time but does get us into trouble. Frustrating that we show teams our chin sometimes when we just need to take grass and defend honestly when under pressure.

- Walters is a skilful player but his playing for frees is incessant.
You forget a very important positive out of this big win. It will mean that McComb and Hannan won't be picked next week.

Kids. We need to talk about Alex Keath.
The drop has come hard and fast which happens sometimes although his from last season was also not that flash . Gardener not being selected has placed him back in the team however I just wonder how much longer until he also feels the same fate just like the other 2 .
Big win so therefore I don’t see much change next week . Gardener really needs to press hard to win Keith’s position . My preference with Jones playing so well would be to bring in a younger replacement if Gardy continues his vfl form slump .

Need to keep McLean in for a few more games and work out if we need to go in another direction for the last half of the year. 100 games but he looks like a 30yo. Poor bloke, i love him and need to give him every opportunity but might be better just playing West, Garcia etc in his role.

No situation awareness. Somebody needs to tell him he's not Caleb Daniel.

Keep it simple Alex. If there's no screamingly obvious play-on target just go back and take your kick.

So not only is Garlick in their admin, and Murphy and Boyd in the box, but Joel Corey is one of Freo's assistants as well. (Their critique of their coach on their board is quite brutal - seemingly worse than what Beveridge has copped here recently. Longmuir must be only behind Hinkley as the coach most despised by their own supporters!)

Wonder if Joel Corey is looking for a change of scenery? :think:

I think he is receiving an undue amount of criticism tonight…but that was a horrible moment. Don’t know what he was thinking.
Agree. It was a terrible lapse but that doesn't signal the end of his career. That sort of play is not natural to him so no great surprise he fluffed it.

Fair dinkum sometimes this board has the memory of a goldfish. So often players seem to be judged on their last 1-2 games, or even their last 1-2 quarters.

During the week a string of posters were shrugging their shoulders at Williams deferring his contract until EOY. "Oh well looks like he's going home to Adelaide, we move on." Now suddenly he's everyone's second favourite player.

Similar things have happened with TOB, Daniel, JJ, Lobb and so many others over the years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Bullies convincingly beat the Purples 118 - 69

Remove this Banner Ad

Back