Opinion Can Dustin Martin be the GOAT? (Answer: no)

Remove this Banner Ad

Seems to be a thread on GOAT every new season. Danger, Ablett, Judd, Buddy, Fyfe etc etc. He's a great player and has the potential to be one of the best, but he'll need to maintain his 2017 level for another 5 years to get even close to Ablett SNR, Matthews, Skilton etc.

I hope he does because he's awesome to watch. The thing that concerns me is his pace. His power will always be there, but in a game which is getting faster by the year, his pace could drop away quickly and like Dangerfield, I'm not sure his disposal is good enough to cover this like an Ablett Jnr.
Pretty good appraisal. Has better than average pace now, not Dangerfield like, closer to Ablett, and players do slow down in their late 20's-30. So another year or two and he will probably slow down. But has a great boot on him and can go forward. But GOAT, left his run to late, and you are only as good as your next season, ask Fyfe. (injuries etc)

I'm sure I'll be corrected but I can't think of a player who's as good, or was, by foot over 50mtr runnin at pace.
His ability to play at his best when there's media on his back or the distraction of his dads stuff is pretty impressive add to that he's a player who doesn't lose his cool or look to the umpires to swing a free, it's pretty awesome.
GOAT?

No such thing.

Martin is an awesome footballer. He's already better than Ablett and Dangerfield. In time he will be the GOAT in AFL. And even more of a GOAT than Federer!
Already better than Ablett? Lost me there. He’s about on par with Dangerfield both of who have a lot of territory to cover to come anywhere near GAJ.

To think, Ablett Senior and Ablett Junior will go down as two of the GOAT in AFL

Ablett's dominance occurred in an era when it was common for multiple players to dominant in similar fashion.

He was a bit more freaky, but if you look at his era, you'll notice his performances weren't as far ahead of his competition compared to Dusty with his year this year.
Pure shit.

5 x ALFPA MVP winner, 3 ahead of the next tier of Voss, Carey, Fyfe, and Judd.

Additionally, Ablett is the ONLY player in AFL history to poll 20+ brownlow votes in 8 consecutive seasons.

Name 1 player who was consistently competing with Ablett over that 8 year period for the title of best in the league?!

Judd was almost universally regarded as the 2nd best in the same time period, even he was a class under GAJ.

Martin would be very lucky to achieve half of GAJ's accolades.

It's not even close.

AFL GOAT? no chance.
Richmond GOAT? possibly.

Honestly, I think when he and Danger retire, Dangerfield will be regarded the better player. Then you have GAJ who people don't even recognize as the GOAT and Dusty won't get close to him imo. Then you also have your Kelly/Bontempelli/Oliver/Shiel/Cripps etc who have AA's, BnF's already at 22< and I suspect 1 of them will blow up and will get a "Can Kelly be the GOAT" thread. They also still have 4-5 years until their Dustys age who only has 2 AA's, 2 BnF's, 1 Brownlow and 1 Rising Star at 26.

Dusty is a stud, I could see him going down as top 20 with Judd and Hird if everything goes right from this point on. GOAT? come on...

Pure shit.

Additionally, Ablett is the ONLY player in AFL history to poll 20+ brownlow votes in 8 consecutive seasons.

Name 1 player who was consistently competing with Ablett over that 8 year period for the title of best in the league?!

Judd was almost universally regarded as the 2nd best in the same time period, even he was a class under GAJ.

It's not even close.

Dusty is an unselfish team man, who is loyal and always puts his teammates first.

GAJ is a selfish mercenary who always puts himself first.

You are right though, it is not even close

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ablett, Carey, Ablett, Mathews, Jezza, Blight, Voss, Hird, Swan, the list goes on.
Martin is great to watch, true champion, but please please please, give us a break.
Must admit though, what a great season, pressure all round but still found time to carry a club to the top of the mountain.

Pure shit.

It's not even close.

Martin finished 7th, 3rd, and 1st in the Brownlow over the past 3 years, and it's not unreasonable for him to have another 4 years at the top.

By that time, he'll be challenging Ablett's sustained dominance, however it's never easy to sustain this level of output.

Martin's best is slightly more impactful than Ablett's though, IMO.

Martin can do precise 60m passes across the field.

He can literally push 3-4 guys off their feet and come bursting out of a pack, run 40m then kick it 60m to a teammate in space for a goal.

The pure strength.

Ablett has higher statistical output, but Martin's sheer strength and precise long kicking make him a slightly more impactful/damaging player than Ablett.

Martin just goes BANG GET OUT OF MY WAY and there's nothing anyone can do. Ablett's not like that.

Martin finished 7th, 3rd, and 1st in the Brownlow over the past 3 years, and it's not unreasonable for him to have another 4 years at the top.

By that time, he'll be challenging Ablett's sustained dominance, however it's never easy to sustain this level of output.

Martin's best is slightly more impactful than Ablett's though, IMO.
Martin is only slightly more "impactful' because he has got away with the "don't argue with me" tactic. Otherwise he is behind GAJ in virtually all measurable. In the 1H of the GF Martin tried that ploy and got tackled successfully a number of times. He had a brilliant 4Q.

I expect teams will spend Summer working out how to nullify Dusty and his "don't argue"

Martin is only slightly more "impactful' because he has got away with the "don't argue with me" tactic. Otherwise he is behind GAJ in virtually all measurable. In the 1H of the GF Martin tried that ploy and got tackled successfully a number of times. He had a brilliant 4Q.

I expect teams will spend Summer working out how to nullify Dusty and his "don't argue"
Well Adelaide did nullify Martin's dominance in the GF up to a point. They double and triple teamed him and got a couple of holding the balls. But the amount of time Martin dished it off to one of his tacklers opponents, who had to leave their man to do so, left them short around the packs. A good part of Richmond dominance was because of this. I imagine the same thing happened to Ablett, Geelong people will know better than me. That was why he was so good for so long, it took more than one player to hold him, although Ablett did it more through explosive work rate, like Dangerfield, and Martin does it more on strength and surprising finesse. These are the great players, like Judd and Voss etc.

not even convincingly this years best player.

No ?

The afl players voted Martin as the best player in the league
The afl coaches voted Martin the best player in the league
The afl umpires voted Martin the best player in the league
The afl coaches voted Martin the best player in the finals
The afl media voted Martin the best player in the grand final

So Martin peers , the players, the media , the coaches , and the umpires all voted Martin the best player in the league and you still think this is not convincing ?

now I know it must hurt that he took a $2 million pay cut to NOT play with north but try and get over it , get some professional help or something dude . It is very sad to watch

No ?

So Martin peers , the players, the media , the coaches , and the umpires all voted Martin the best player in the league and you still think this is not convincing ?

now I know it must hurt that he took a $2 million pay cut to NOT play with north but try and get over it , get some professional help or something dude . It is very sad to watch
How far ahead of Dangerfield was he in each of those awards? The point, I believe, is that he's not clearly better than Dangerfield, which is not an unfair point. They were pretty much neck and neck all year.

That said, it seems like umpires and award judges are becoming more star struck with each passing year. New records are constantly being set, which means either today's stars are substantially better than in the past or everyone else is worse. Neither of which I think are true. I thought Martin was Richmond's second or third best player in the grand final, but they still handed over the Norm Smith.

Last edited:
No ?

dangerfield 4 votes behind in coaches votes
dangerfield 3 votes behind in brownlow

in both instances he played 1 less game - could've easily won/drawn. I personally have dangerfield ahead of him - faster, better mark and more consistent, many others will agree.

as for the rest of your comment - grow up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Can Dustin Martin be the GOAT? (Answer: no)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back