Opinion Can Dustin Martin be the GOAT? (Answer: no)

Remove this Banner Ad

That is the best post I’ve ever seen on this site. 👏👏👏👏

Thanks for the correction re. Danger not being the 2022 GF AFLCA BOG. I don’t know how or why I thought that was the case. I thought the “fun fact” about his performance was that he didn’t win the Norm Smith but Jono Brown gave him his 3 votes and the coaches also thought he was best. Only the former is true.

Fascinating to me that neither Izzy or Paddy was statistically BOG that day; that was Chad Warner.

Also it was interesting to learn that Isaac has been a Norm Smith winner without being statistically BOG in 2022 and also been statistically BOG and not even close to winning it in 2015. At least he got a vote. It was amazing how many times the highest points player didn’t get any votes. Seriously WTF.

I can’t believe Houli was only 29th best statistically in 2017 with his AFLCA BOG performance or how unremarkable by this metric Cyril, ROK, JJ and Bobby were with their NSMs. It confirms the “eye test” part of watching sports. I remember how Gryan was statistically BOG in the 2022 PF but nobody wouldn’t have had Paddy as the best player that night by many light years. As you said this data only started in 2012 but IIRC by some other non-AFL sanctioned ranking point system Joel Selwood is comfortably BOG in the 2011 GF.

————————

Is this statement totally accurate?

FWIW. Just using a quick shallow analysis of basic statistics.

Paddy vs Dusty in September 2017

In the QF that they both played in Paddy had 31 touches and kicked a goal while Dusty had 28 with no goals.

Paddy then had 26 touches and kicked 4 against the Swans in the semi and in the PF against the Crows had 24 and 2.

Dusty had 20 and 3 in the PF and 29 and 2 in the GF.

AVERAGES

Paddy 27 touches and 2.3 goals.

Dusty 25.7 touches and 1.7.

Sure I get it. GF instead of SF and NSM and wins etc. But just on the simple fact of three finals their teams allowed them to play in, and judging the individual player output, in this series it didn’t give the upper hand to Martin.

The other issue I have is with the inclusion of 2020 performances. I’m of the school of thought that they just don’t count. This has nothing to do with Richmond or Dusty. I include my own players’ accomplishments in this season as not being legitimate as it wasn’t a real season. Cameron Guthrie you won a Geelong B&F and made the AA team? Nope. Tom Hawkins you won the Coleman? No, it doesn’t count. That season was just waaaaaaaaaaay too goofy to be considered legit IMO. My team made that GF and I wasn’t one millionth as interested in winning that contest as I was a regular GF.

I’m so hardline on the “2020 isn’t a real season” issue that I don’t even consider the Adelaide 2020 wooden spoon legit. IMO they’re still a club that has never won a real spoon.

I had the same thoughts way back in the day about the lockout 1999 NBA season.
Bit of revisionist history about the 2017 QF.

Yes Dangerfield had 31 touches, but went at 45% disposal efficiency. He kicked multiple out on the full and generally butchered the ball.

May have even been this match that spawned the nickname "Clangerfield".

Looks like they forgot to mention they were only counting the home and away seasons.

Because after the full 2017 season including finals, it was:

D Martin 20.86
P Dangerfield 20.09

It is a shame Patrick didn't learn to kick to any sort of level that would cut it in finals.

I wonder who the highest rating player in a Premiership year is? Some people just seem to know how to make their dominance count for their team. And some don't. ;)

Isn’t it in overall rating order (descending)?
I can’t believe I looked at it for a good few minutes without picking that up

Was driving me insane…

It’s obviously been a long week

Looks like they forgot to mention they were only counting the home and away seasons.

Because after the full 2017 season including finals, it was:

D Martin 20.86
P Dangerfield 20.09

It is a shame Patrick didn't learn to kick to any sort of level that would cut it in finals.

I wonder who the highest rating player in a Premiership year is? Some people just seem to know how to make their dominance count for their team. And some don't. ;)
I must admit it makes me smile, when watching the lengths you guys go to protect Dustbin.

It is sad, it is embarrassing, but it makes me smile.

Face it GAJ (so far) is the best and it isn't even close.

I must admit it makes me smile, when watching the lengths you guys go to protect Dustbin.

It is sad, it is embarrassing, but it makes me smile.

Face it GAJ (so far) is the best and it isn't even close.

Protect Dusty, lol.

Conceded Ablett has a better home and away record, though Dusty's is also very good.

Now look at their respective finals records. Because that is definitely not close.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Can Dustin Martin be the GOAT? (Answer: no)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back