Toast Hawks made finals in 2024! - Hawks finals discussion

Can the Hawks make finals in 2024?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I tell what I find frustrating and that's having to double up playing the away venue in the same season. Playing both Port and the Crows at AO for eg. If it was fair and equitable system you play once there for the year and you play the other tenant once at the G. Could be just me that has an issue with it but still.
How do you think Gold Coast are feeling ?
2 trips to Perth, the longest road trip in afl

Biggest risk to this team is:
1. Complacency
2. Low scoring games.

The players thrive off the energy of a goal and it’s almost like a snowball effect.

Goals seem to lead to more goals as the energy gathers momentum through their celebrations.

1. Complacency
2. Low scoring games.

The players thrive off the energy of a goal and it’s almost like a snowball effect.

Goals seem to lead to more goals as the energy gathers momentum through their celebrations.
Our best win came against Fremantle and that was a low scoring game. That is not a risk.

The real risk is Aerial dominance pressure and bigger bodies/midfield pressure

We like most teams still need to overcome pressure and play the way we want.

Our best win came against Fremantle and that was a low scoring game. That is not a risk.

The real risk is Aerial dominance pressure and bigger bodies/midfield pressure

We like most teams still need to overcome pressure and play the way we want.
74-87 is about normal.
I was thinking more a Ross Lyon style 55-65 point game.

The team we need to death ride the most is Port Adelaide.
They play Syd (H), Mel (A), Adel, Freo (A)
If they lose 3 we only have to win 2 out of our next 4. We can make it on 13 wins if our percentage is better.
They could lose three, but they could also win three in that lot! I’d be happy if they lost two of those to be honest. Which would mean we’d need 14 wins to leapfrog them (can lose one from here).
I think GWS and Carlton, given their remaining games, are the other two teams we can possibly overtake. But we’d need to win against the team we intend to displace in the 8. Of course, beat both of them, and then assuming we take care of Richmond and North, we definitely make it 😁

1. Complacency
Just skimmed the last 3 pages and the attitude from this board is essentially "win the next 2 games and we'll make finals".

Rounds 23 & 24 look like walkovers but could just as easily be an ambush if any complacency creeps in.

Thankfully I think between Sam, the other coaches and many of our player leaders that we won't be silly enough to get too ahead of ourselves. And if we do, that's a harder lesson than getting touched up in an elimination final.

Just skimmed the last 3 pages and the attitude from this board is essentially "win the next 2 games and we'll make finals".

Rounds 23 & 24 look like walkovers but could just as easily be an ambush if any complacency creeps in.

Thankfully I think between Sam, the other coaches and many of our player leaders that we won't be silly enough to get too ahead of ourselves. And if we do, that's a harder lesson than getting touched up in an elimination final.
23 and 24 are pure percentage rounds

we have to win..weall agree............. but I am curious Footscray is playing Dees and beating them.... I think this sits better for us giving us an easier path

Bulldogs in HOT form in the last month.
They've smashed Sydney, Geelong and Melbourne, while also beating Carlton.

Probably the form team of the competition right now.

Top 4 is probably out of reach for us even if we win all remaining games.
80% chance of playing finals though*

*EDIT: From this point forward.

Last edited:
Bulldogs in HOT form in the last month.
They've smashed Sydney, Geelong and Melbourne, while also beating Carlton.

Probably the form team of the competition right now.

Top 4 is probably out of reach for us even if we win all remaining games.
80% chance of playing finals though.

To miss out with 15 wins would be exceptional and prompt strong calls for final 10. Some premiers have sneaked 16 wins

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I meant I give us have an 80% chance of playing finals from this point on, not IF we wont all remaining games.
Its very possible that we lose the next two and still make it - given how difficult the Gaints run home is.

The key for them seems to be their home game against the Dockers (playing for top 4) in round 22. That game is sandwiched between away games against the Lions and Dogs.

Win one of the next two (and I think Carlton at the MCG in a defacto final is a better bet) and we should jump from 8 to 7

Honestly I think we need to win both the GWS and Carlton games for me to be comfortable. Coming up against a Clarko coached side in North late in the season, especially with the level their midfield can get to, feels dangerous.

Honestly I think we need to win both the GWS and Carlton games for me to be comfortable. Coming up against a Clarko coached side in North late in the season, especially with the level their midfield can get to, feels dangerous.
At UTAS which makes me more confident, as good as they can be they can be just as easily blown off the park. Very Hawthorn of 2022, or even earlier in the year when the good and bad were very far apart, a lot right but a lot wrong.

They potentially will want to keep the spoon locked in. Depends how today goes.

Jesus, if we can't beat Norf at home we will be absolute road kill in finals.

North are a dumpster fire, there is a reason they want another priority pick

Jesus, if we can't beat Norf at home we will be absolute road kill in finals.

North are a dumpster fire, there is a reason they want another priority pick
Where did you get that I don't think we'll beat North? I'm just saying that Clarko coached sides have a record of surprising clubs in contention at the end of the season. We did it to a number of them in his last few years.

It's also a match up thing. They've got a number of mids in very good form with a lot to prove, and the core of our game is winning that midfield ground ball battle. Upsets do happen.

The team we need to death ride the most is Port Adelaide.
They play Syd (H), Mel (A), Adel, Freo (A)
If they lose 3 we only have to win 2 out of our next 4. We can make it on 13 wins if our percentage is better.
Port and Giants. If we beat Giants, they still have Brisbane away and the red hot Dogs to come. Beat them and we will finish above them

If Carlton lose to Pies they are equally in play

I’m so hopeful we make finals and I think all the teams above us will be nervous. My biggest worry is a mental letdown and/or physical tiredness hitting us as a young team playing a fairly frenetic pace. That being said Sam and the coaching staff are managing the lads brilliantly. Our fitness seems to be peaking at just the right time and they are giving the mids plenty of time off the ground in games. Fingers crossed we can keep it going!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Hawks made finals in 2024! - Hawks finals discussion

Back