Carlton are legit flag threats

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Carlton hype

Easily the best duo?
Bit early to be going over the top arent you?
Other than Ablett, Pendles is the best midfielder going around, ill argue that till the cows come home.
Swan is the reigning brownlow medallist, who is apparently 'out of form' yet has so far had a 31 and 32 disposal games.
*Ranks 2nd in Inside 50s
*4th in disposals
*4th in kicks

A midfield doesnt usually revolve around the output of just 2 players. After Murphy and Judd, your support cast drops off considerably.
Whereas, ours doesnt drop much in class with the likes of Thomas, Ball running around.

As for the rucks, Jolly is no slouch, (Wood coming in this week for backup) has more hitouts than your best ruck (Kruezer), not sure what other statistics you can gauge ruckman on considering thats their main role.

Small forwards, yeah you guys have the edge there, only because our best small fwds (Didak, Krak) are currently out of action, makes it hard for us to compete.

Its fair to say, we romp the blues in the key position stakes.
Cloke is better than anything youve got in the forward line, Reid is better than anything youve got in the backline.

The fact that weve beaten you the last 5 times by an average of 40pts means we have a better team in recent times.
Have to wait and see how things go tonight.

Swan has just won a brownlow - ....Judd is lining up for his third - so, um, get a grip there tiger.

Peddes goes pretty good, so does murphy, thats why they are rated as the best duo in the comp right now by pretty much everyone but you.

Jolly goes alright - but Blues have Hammer, Krueze and Warnock.

And if you are going to start comparing your small forwards to Betts, Yarran, Garlett, Walker then your dreaming -

Going down our list I reckon we just about have you covered in the midfield department.

I will straight away hand you the Key positions - can't argue with that, no way, you have us covered - Cloke is better than Hammer and Reid is better than Jammo - for now.

But thats my point, this is the ONLY area you are clearly better, we are clearly better elsewhere........

Tonights gonna be a good good night.

Huh what?

Don't rate Gibbs, Scotland, Simpson, Carazzo, Robinson, Curnow?

And yeah Jolly/Wood will probably win the hitouts, but Kreuzer/Hampson will likely win around the ground.

I never said i dont rate them, just dont rate them as high as ours for obvious reasons.

My comment was in response to how apparently Carlton has "easily the best midfield duo" which is misinformed.

Pendlebury, Swan, Thomas, Ball, Wellingham, Shaw, Sidebottom, Beams, Clarke, Blair, (Johnson, Krakouer & Didak when not injured)

Call my biased, but thats better than what Carlton can throw up.

Big piece on Carrazzo this morning saying that he is I think, 7th in the league for disposals and ninth in the league for disposal efficiency.

Then you have the likes of Simpson who is an absolute workhorse, as is Robinson, Scotland, throw Gibbs and Kreuzer in the mix, rotate Jeff Garlett for a change, Curnow, Lucas, Yarran.... all more than capable.

I don't know what Carlton you're on about... :confused:

Never said they werent any good, just not as good as what we have.

Im talking about the same Carlton that has lost the last 5 games against Collingwood. Even though apparently your midfield is so much better than ours.

No point arguing about all this, tonight will show.
You guys are the ones who have a point to prove, and are favourites, so the pressure is on the blues to deliver on the big stage

I never said i dont rate them, just dont rate them as high as ours for obvious reasons.

My comment was in response to how apparently Carlton has "easily the best midfield duo" which is misinformed.

Pendlebury, Swan, Thomas, Ball, Wellingham, Shaw, Sidebottom, Beams, Clarke, Blair, (Johnson, Krakouer & Didak when not injured)

Call my biased, but thats better than what Carlton can throw up.

Never said they werent any good, just not as good as what we have.

Im talking about the same Carlton that has lost the last 5 games against Collingwood. Even though apparently your midfield is so much better than ours.

No point arguing about all this, tonight will show.
You guys are the ones who have a point to prove, and are favourites, so the pressure is on the blues to deliver on the big stage

Actually the pressure is on you - if you lose tonight your coach will have the worst record in nearly ten years - 1 from 3. You lose tonight and your tilt at the flag is finished - your team is getting on, players are fading.....blues are on top of you on the ladder - we are on the way up, you are CLEARLY on the way down, tonight is more about you than us champ, everyone KNOWS blues are getting better - its obvious, the REAL question is, how much have the pies faded ? How poor a coach is FIGJAM ?

Actually the pressure is on you - if you lose tonight your coach will have the worst record in nearly ten years - 1 from 3. You lose tonight and your tilt at the flag is finished - your team is getting on, players are fading.....blues are on top of you on the ladder - we are on the way up, you are CLEARLY on the way down, tonight is more about you than us champ, everyone KNOWS blues are getting better - its obvious, the REAL question is, how much have the pies faded ? How poor a coach is FIGJAM ?
Relax champp

Swan has just won a brownlow - ....Judd is lining up for his third - so, um, get a grip there tiger.

Were two games in and youre already talking about brownlows for Judd? Youre surely joking right.

Peddes goes pretty good, so does murphy, thats why they are rated as the best duo in the comp right now by pretty much everyone but you.

Still dont understand how Judd and Murphy are better than Pendlebury and Swan. Just cant fathom that, surely im not alone here.

And if you are going to start comparing your small forwards to Betts, Yarran, Garlett, Walker then your dreaming -

i did say you have us the small forward department, but like i said, bit hard for us to compete in that area when probably our best 3 SFs are injured (Didak, Krak, Macaffer)
Yarran, plays back i thought?

Going down our list I reckon we just about have you covered in the midfield department.

Again, i dont understand how you come to that conclusion, our midfield brigade has led us to two consecutive GF appearances, whats yours done? Maybe yours will achieve something this year, but we can only guess at the moment.

I will straight away hand you the Key positions - can't argue with that, no way, you have us covered - Cloke is better than Hammer and Reid is better than Jammo - for now.

Until Jamison stays on the park for longer than 5 mins, he will not be brought up in any calculations in my mind.

But thats my point, this is the ONLY area you are clearly better, we are clearly better elsewhere........

Tonights gonna be a good good night.

No, youre incorrect.
Say we break down both teams into categories:

Small/medium defenders - Pies win
Key position backs - Pies win (even with 2 major outs in that category)
Rucks - Ill give the blues that one, not on quality but quantity
Mids - I say Pies, but ill compromise and say were even
Small/medium FWDs - Blues win, again injuries to key pies dont help our cause
Key position FWDs - Pies easily, no contest

So we win 4/6 categories and only lose 1 clearly.
ill argue this to the cows come home

Still dont understand how Judd and Murphy are better than Pendlebury and Swan. Just cant fathom that, surely im not alone here.

Judd and Murphy not better than Pendlebury and Swan.
They may be tonight but then again Pendlebury and Swan may be the superior duo.

Say we break down both teams into categories:

Small/medium defenders - Pies win
Key position backs - Pies win (even with 2 major outs in that category)
Rucks - Ill give the blues that one, not on quality but quantity
Mids - I say Pies, but ill compromise and say were even
Small/medium FWDs - Blues win, again injuries to key pies dont help our cause
Key position FWDs - Pies easily, no contest

So we win 4/6 categories and only lose 1 clearly.
ill argue this to the cows come home

I know you are arguing against his point but I'm not sure category wins will translate to an actual win.
Also IF Jamison starts and is fit then I believe Carlton have the edge in Key Position Backs.
I believe it will come down to the midfield.
Carlton have developed more depth this year.
Comparing the two:
Judd, Murphy, Simpson, Gibbs, Scotland, Carrazzo, Robinson, Curnow, Lucas, Armfield with a couple of others running through at select times vs
Pendlebury, Swan, Thomas, Wellingham, Beams, Sidebottom, Blair, Sinclair, Fasolo and a couple others

This should be the intriguing part.
I believe a couple of the top few from either team have the capacity to tear this game apart. Not sure who because they are quite even on paper but one will probably stand above the other tonight.
If the midfield is about even then we'll be in for a ripper game.

As a neutral observer I think the Carlton pair are superior.

Judd/Pendlebury = line ball.
Murphy/Swan = Murphy for mine (more damaging with the ball).

Magpies of last year are better than Carlton, but they have looked way off their best so far - last week against the Tigers was painful to watch!

So its the Blues by 20 points.....but would still think Cats/Hawks/Pies are better teams come finals time.

Look, really, we haven't proven squat yet, other than we're better than mid-ranked teams. Duh.

Tonight should be great. The Pies aren't really hurt by a loss, but a Blues win would legitimise some of the hype and throw a cat amongst the pigeons... or a Blues amongst the Magpies at least.

I don't know how bookies and tipsters have the Blues as favourite tonight. I hope they're right, but I won't believe it until it happens. The Pies have had our measure for too long to possibly have Carlton as favourite.

Some mildly left-field tips/thoughts:
- Gibbs goes to Pendles
- One of Betts or Garlett needs to go pretty nuts
- Pies' second tier mids like Sidebottom and Blair are hugely important. The Curnows, Armfields, even Tuohys need to play good footy for the Blues to get over the top.
- Ruck duel should be fascinating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll believe it when I see it.

Beat the Pies tonight, then the Bombers next week, then Freo in Fremantle and I'll believe Carlton are flag threats.

Carlton could win all three or lose all three.

Then we can be a bit cheery until the middle-season gauntlet Geelong, West Coast, Hawthorn, Collingwood.

Again, i dont understand .

Thats because you are a Pies supporter...you always overrate your list and underrate everyone else's ..even whan you lot get spanked in the majority of grand finals ..you still think you have the best side .

You do a lot of talking ..how about you quit for a while and let the two teams do the talking tonight ..one will lose and one will win ..end of story .

I'll believe it when I see it.

Beat the Pies tonight, then the Bombers next week, then Freo in Fremantle and I'll believe Carlton are flag threats.

Carlton could win all three or lose all three.

Then we can be a bit cheery until the middle-season gauntlet Geelong, West Coast, Hawthorn, Collingwood.

Smartest thing a Carlton supporter has said all thread

Embarrassing.

Thats because you are a Pies supporter...you always overrate your list and underrate everyone else's ..even whan you lot get spanked in the majority of grand finals ..you still think you have the best side .

Can you post proof of this or are you just making shit up again?

Embarrassing.

Thanks for agreeing, glad you see my point - if Tigers lose and you lose - then Buckley is no better then Neeld !!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

You lose tonight and some serious questions are going to be asked over the tenure of Eddie McGuire - it was his decision alone to get rid of one of the greatest coaches of the modern era as he came off a Premiership and runner up - completely unheard of and ridiculous decision.

Buckely loses tonight, then he is under the SAME scrutiny as Neeld - as is McGuire - yes - VERY EMBARRASSING...

Thanks for agreeing, glad you see my point - if Tigers lose and you lose - then Buckley is no better then Neeld !!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

You lose tonight and some serious questions are going to be asked over the tenure of Eddie McGuire - it was his decision alone to get rid of one of the greatest coaches of the modern era as he came off a Premiership and runner up - completely unheard of and ridiculous decision.

Buckely loses tonight, then he is under the SAME scrutiny as Neeld - as is McGuire - yes - VERY EMBARRASSING...

It's only rd3. You will have a heart attack.

I know you can not go on things like this but Collingwood and Carlton V Richmond might be an indication on where both clubs are at at the moment. Carlton smacked Richmond by 44 points and had 14 more scoring shots. Collingwood beat Richmond by 21 points and only had 1 more scoring shot. Also Carlton have been finishing games off absolutly flying where as Collingwood have been finishing games off rather poorly.

Im tipping a close game until half way through the 3rd quarter then Carlton by 30 odd or poor kicking for goal to cost Carlton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back