Carlton are legit flag threats

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not wanting to sound too unkind, but who have they beaten?

Excellent point.

Out of our 3 wins this year, only Richmond look to have a chance of making the 8. Small chance at that.

The other two will probably finish 10th-14th or thereabouts.

Everyone put in front of us, by large margins. Hard to have a better status at the moment

Yes true.

I'm still not sure how that confirms improvement from last year.

Spanked a fair few lesser teams last year as well.

Not dismissing the context of the thread, just that you'd be better measuring yourselves against a form team.

Reid and Ball going down early didn't help.

They looked OK to me in the first quarter.

As far you guys are concerned you still have Walker to come in, and I'm guessing Bower to drop out for him?

One of Bower or Duigan at this stage Id hazard a guess.

Maybe Lucas - hes playing well, but Walker can play midfield as well as forward.

Depth is looking OK for us at the moment.

Improvement is evident in the form of Waite, Hampson and Kreuzer.

They all had minimal roles last year but have stood up this year (so far) and performed, giving us some real tall timber stocks as opposed to the faux ones we put up for show last year at times

I still think they are not quite ready yet. I expect them to make the prelims, but like many sides before I think they are still 1 year away. Hawthorn, West coast and Geelong are more likely IMO.

They will go deep in September, but not quite all the way.

Carlton have looked more impressive then Hawks and Cats at the moment. WCE and the Blues are the teams to beat at the moment. Carlton have been pushing deeper into the finals every year. This could easily be their year.

We've earned every right to talk top 4 this year. Premiership a distinct possibility on exposed form thus far.

But it's a long season and we've only played three games. We'll have a form dip sooner or later, but I expect us to really push ourselves this year.

I have faith in my side that, if we remain fit and uninjured, we will give the competition a run for its money.

West Coast keeps their chances alive in spite of injuries to crucial players such as Le Cras, Nicoski and Embley? Lecca's gone for the season, Nicoski won't be around for several monthes, and Embley is looking like the same. They are a different side this year that has thrashed the Dog's (bottom 8) and Melb (Bottom 8). They finished 2.5 wins ahead of us last year, and judging upon the same fixture we just shaved one of those losses (Lost to Collingwood both times last year).

They'll be mid 8 material due to injuries and the likelyhood that at least 1-2 of their senior players can't back up last year's form.

West Coast keeps their chances alive in spite of injuries to crucial players such as Le Cras, Nicoski and Embley? Lecca's gone for the season, Nicoski won't be around for several monthes, and Embley is looking like the same. They are a different side this year that has thrashed the Dog's (bottom 8) and Melb (Bottom 8). They finished 2.5 wins ahead of us last year, and judging upon the same fixture we just shaved one of those losses (Lost to Collingwood both times last year).

They'll be mid 8 material due to injuries and the likelyhood that at least 1-2 of their senior players can't back up last year's form.

Im still not sold on Carlton as legit flag favorites, but Im equally not sold on WCE untill they beat someone of note (preferably in Melb).

People complain about our soft opening matches; the Eagles are playing GWS this weekend. Those injuries couldnt have come at a better time for the Eagles - they might even have a chance to get some of those blokes back and in reasonable condition come the pointy end of the year.

Round 11-15 we'll know all we need to know about the Blues.

Rnd 11 Geelong
Rnd 12 Eagles (Subi)
Rnd 13 Bye
Rnd 14 Hawks
Rnd 15 Pies

Rough month of footy.

People will keep doubting us until we win the thing, just the way it goes. People see Geelong and Hawthorn above us still because of more recent premiership wins, which in the Geelong case is fair enough, though I don't see how the Hawthorn 08 one still is.

What is more relevant is we haven't beaten Hawthorn since 2005, we need to fix that up.

Regardless of anything we are in the mix, should make top 4 barring catastrophic events, we just need to be firing the right time of year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton = '06 Eagles.

No forward line to speak of but the best mids in the biz.

I think that's disrespectful to what's proven to be an extremely effacious forward line.

Not sure how three forwards in the top 10 for goals in the league last year = no forward line to speak of.

We've got 2 forwards with 9 goals and 2 with 6 goals after 3 rounds, with Walker to come back in the next week or two. Not to mention Murphy with 5 and Judd + Yarran with 4 each. Perhaps not the traditional set up but then again how many traditional gameplans win premierships?

I think that's disrespectful to what's proven to be an extremely effacious forward line.

Not sure how three forwards in the top 10 for goals in the league last year = no forward line to speak of.

We've got 2 forwards with 9 goals and 2 with 6 goals after 3 rounds, with Walker to come back in the next week or two. Not to mention Murphy with 5 and Judd + Yarran with 4 each. Perhaps not the traditional set up but then again how many traditional gameplans win premierships?

Apparently any forward line without 2 tall targets = no forward line to speak of.

Mind you out of our recognised competing top 4-5 sides (WC, Hawthorn, Geelong, Coll), only us and West Coast have mobile enough ruckmen who are mobile enough to play for long periods as forwards.

We still have Walker to come back to, who is no midget. Also what you may lose in some ways you gain in others, our pressure inside our forward 50 would have to be close to the best in the competition with the harrassing Betts and Garlett do.

We should have 4-5 guys who kick around 35 or more this year, West Coast in 2006 had Juddy as their 2nd leading goal scorer with 30 something!

Our forward setup is more comparable to Geelong's of 2007 or so.

Thread is reactionary but correct nonetheless. Before the season I felt they would definitely push for the flag. Past few seasons have been competitive but lacked the experience which brought them undone against the better teams and in finals. I think they've finally matured to the point of being a team capable of winning the flag

Reading this post its just so clear you know nothing about wce but anyway im not gonna bother. You did get one thing right the lecras injury is a huge loss and will be really hard to cover come finals.

Carlton are legit flag threats the comp has really gotten closer this year. Geelong and collingwood have come back to the chasing pack a bit. Hawks have stayed around the same maybe improved slightly and west coast and carlton have both improved. Wouldn't be surprised if any of these 5 won it. Im waiting to add freo to this list aswell. Absolute wildcard.

After seeing us getting demolished at the Gabba by a team that is much faster and has way better skills then us, i knew that other teams were going to have problems against Carlton.

The big problem with Carlton that i could see is that you have peaked early and might not be able to keep the form up during the second half of the season. Time will tell and there is no point guessing, but you will be a top 4 side i would think.

After seeing us getting demolished at the Gabba by a team that is much faster and has way better skills then us, i knew that other teams were going to have problems against Carlton.

The big problem with Carlton that i could see is that you have peaked early and might not be able to keep the form up during the second half of the season. Time will tell and there is no point guessing, but you will be a top 4 side i would think.

So when you say we've peaked early, you're suggesting that it is in our best interests to take it easy or lose the early games?

And by your reasoning, because we have not tried so hard we will have more energy in the latter part of the season.

Correct?

In the last 7 days of this thread I've read many excuses and people writing off Carlton. Still going on last night/this morning. Maybe come September people might actually get the hint.....Carlton are the best team in the comp this year.

Judd looks better then I've seen for a while ( Oops could have won past two brownlow's )

Seems to have lost the tags or maybe Bucks and Vossy come from the same school of coaching :footy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back