Review Cats back in business after smashing Hawks by 82 points at the G

Remove this Banner Ad

We weren't great in that first half at all.
They outplayed us in the first half. Give credit where it's due. If they weren't such a young side, they should have been 5 goals up. But they lacked the polish of an experienced team. We're just fortunate Geelong got their shit together at the half time break.

If Rohan doesn't get outted for that tackle I wouldn't be shocked to see Henry sub next week once again.

He got 50% game time today so having him sub next week wouldn't hurt him as far as not being on the ground enough two weeks in a row.
I think sub is perfect for him for now until he works on his defensive side. He’s def got it, great signs

Really good signs from OHenry. I think he had 4 touches in his first 5mins on the ground. 2.3 off the bench, he could be anything. Reminds me a lot of Menzel.
Still very skinny so I imagine he will only get better and more confident as time goes on and he puts more size on.

He always has been dangerous around goals.

27 touches from Holmes today is a great sign.

Looked sharp in the contest and got it on the outside a bit more than normal.

Great pace off the mark... we gotta harness that.

Can see him and Clark being the two biggest cogs in our next gen midfield in time.

But for this year... Holmes should be looking to explode.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not saying one win cures all ills, but boy oh boy to smash the old enemy by 82pts and start seeing all the pieces click into gear really is a feel good moment in a season of mediocrity.

Really highlights how much we’ve missed Duncan but good to see Close, Guthrie get some good touches and form.

We looked exhilarating in the second half, the first half we basically carried on what we dished up last week, onwards and upwards and hopefully a quick trip to Adelaide to gather the four points against the Weagles.

Really good signs from OHenry. I think he had 4 touches in his first 5mins on the ground. 2.3 off the bench, he could be anything. Reminds me a lot of Menzel.
The God's were not kind to Menzel, I thought he was great, and had the potential to be greater. You know he did his first knee against Hawthorn? Anyway, there is a reason Collingwood regret losing Henry, & not many cop the extent of what he did in the first round against them. My humble prediction, he will be the next God.

27 touches from Holmes today is a great sign.

Looked sharp in the contest and got it on the outside a bit more than normal.

Great pace off the mark... we gotta harness that.

Can see him and Clark being the two biggest cogs in our next gen midfield in time.

But for this year... Holmes should be looking to explode.

He was excellent, his 2nd quarter was really instrumental in turning the tide.

Perhaps he has played a little too inside in the opening 3 rounds - he can definitely win a contested ball, but seeing him with half a break on his opponent is one of the best things about supporting Geelong, currently.

Buckley on Fox with a classic: "Without Jeremy Cameron, where would Geelong be?"

You're right. We would've won by 7 goals instead of 14.

The God's were not kind to Menzel, I thought he was great, and had the potential to be greater. You know he did his first knee against Hawthorn? Anyway, there is a reason Collingwood regret losing Henry, & not many cop the extent of what he did in the first round against them. My humble prediction, he will be the next God.
We would have another flag had Menzel reached his potential.

Although we didn't actually get going until the 3rd quarter, from a scoring perspective it was 19 goals to 3 for the last 3.5 quarters. Having Duncan back was as important as I expected it to be, and Kolo undoubtedly steadies us a bit too. I really liked Zuthrie, MOC and Miers during the first half when we were struggling.

The game showed what has been obvious all along. If we get absolutely belted in clearances, contested footy and territory we will struggle. Break even or win those areas and we are still a very strong side at either end of the ground, and even a defensive newbie like Esava can play to his strengths with adequate support up the field.

It seems playing Hawkins back to match fitness at AFL level was the right move even if he looked off for the first 3 weeks. Our collective fitness and run will only improve from here.

What I really liked as the game went on was the reduction in skill errors (C.Guthrie aside) and fumbles. Yes the pressure from Hawthorn declined but these things started when they were still giving it 100%. Those handball chains that started from in-tight situations were successful and overall that cohesion came back. Not a hug surprise given that this was closer to our 2022 flag team but they still needed to prove they could do it.

Holmes really bounced back this week and Dangerfield is growing week on week. Sav found some confidence again and played well. Stewart was good, not da huge game by any means but I think over the next block of weeks we're going to appreciate the effect he has on that backline.

It was great to see Close and to a lesser degree Stengle find their mojo again. O.Henry is a dynamite impact player as a sub. We obviously have weapons. It is so important for the midfield in particular to build on that second half over the next few weeks. If they are battered like the first 15 minutes in particular then our season is cooked, but I'm backing them in. It is concerning to see C.Guthrie's ball use at all time lows but he at least dug in with 11 tackles, which is the type of endeavour I like to see.

Box ticked with some good signs. Must win game next week and then our season is back off life support.

P.S that Cameron fella goes alright.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Cats back in business after smashing Hawks by 82 points at the G

Remove this Banner Ad

Back