Review Cats beat Lions by 10 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This game also illustrated why Fort would have been worth holding onto instead of Rhys Stanley.

The sooner Ceglar is back from injury, the better we should be in ruck.
IMO Stanley comfortably beat Fort. Don’t get fooled by the player stats, because Fort rucked solo all night

This game also illustrated why Fort would have been worth holding onto instead of Rhys Stanley.

Funny, I came away with the exact opposite impression. I finally figured out why Fort was never given a run last year, even when Stanley was out. Not up to it at all.

Really?? Sorry, i actually saw it another way. Fort is a quality VFL player not AFL and thats about it.

Funny, I came away with the exact opposite impression. I finally figured out why Fort was never given a run last year, even when Stanley was out. Not up to it at all.
same... all it did was confirm for me that Fort was an average plodder at best

Rhys picked up one coach's vote this week, and that wasn't a great surprise. Whereas Fort getting a vote would have been shades of the Darcy Cameron AFLCA votes debacle from last week.

He's a #2 ruck/resting forward, at best, when it comes to playing at AFL level. Whereas Stanley's better games see him matching it as a #1 with some of the best going around. Ceglar going down is obviously far from ideal. But Darcy wouldn't be saving our bacon if he was still around, just like he couldn't beat our supposedly 'ordinary' first-choice the other night.

'Break glass' is his ceiling as an AFL #1 ruck, I'm afraid.

same... all it did was confirm for me that Fort was an average plodder at best
I also don't at all rate Ceglar, the only reason I figured getting him was ok was because we had a break the glass in case of emergency ruckman in Fort, and we just replaced him with another one.
Handy to have if you absolutely have to use them as they at worst can not be a complete walk over in the ruck but they realistically should never be your top dog

I also don't at all rate Ceglar, the only reason I figured getting him was ok was because we had a break the glass in case of emergency ruckman in Fort, and we just replaced him with another one.
Handy to have if you absolutely have to use them as they at worst can not be a complete walk over in the ruck but they realistically should never be your top dog
I've been a bit bemused with the Ceglar as the Messiah sentiment floating around here. Of course I'd be ecstatic if came in and solved all our ruck problems, but I think some are setting themselves for massive let down. He old and has been injured lately. What sort of form can we realistically expec? Especially if we need him to fairly mobile like Stanley. Let's see what condition the 2022 Ceglar is in.

I've been a bit bemused with the Ceglar as the Messiah sentiment floating around here. Of course I'd be ecstatic if came in and solved all our ruck problems, but I think some are setting themselves for massive let down. He old and has been injured lately. What sort of form can we realistically expec? Especially if we need him to fairly mobile like Stanley. Let's see what condition the 2022 Ceglar is in.
Be useful to use him for a few games just to get Stanley cherry ripe for the pointy end of the season.
I feel that,last few campaigns, poor old Stanley has been running on fumes by the end. Ceglar at his best is more than useful, injuries notwithstanding.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fort would have been a better backup option than Ceglar I believe, purely because he has more years ahead of him and had been in our system for a few years. But can't fault the club in letting him try for first team opportunity at another club or for going for a cheap replacement. Tsap, Conway and Neale need a few more years before they will come into contention.

Fort would have been a better backup option than Ceglar I believe, purely because he has more years ahead of him and had been in our system for a few years. But can't fault the club in letting him try for first team opportunity at another club or for going for a cheap replacement. Tsap, Conway and Neale need a few more years before they will come into contention.
Yet they did not play Fort much last year, even though he was serviceable in the twos.
He could have been pinch hitting for a few games, just to give him a sniff, and a chance to show his wares while resting Stanley.
As a result Stanley entered the finals low on gas, and Fort was justified in seeking gainful employment elsewhere.

13 disposals, 1 mark, 2 score involvements, 21 hitouts for the night is pretty mediocre.

It’s virtually identical to what Fort produced - except Fort rucked the entire game. Not sure how much time Stanley did but his hit outs were basically matched by Blicavs, and Hawkins chipped in with 4, so I’m guessing stanley didn’t ruck for anywhere near as long as Fort did. Hardly the sort of performance that prompts regret about letting him go

It’s virtually identical to what Fort produced - except Fort rucked the entire game. Not sure how much time Stanley did but his hit outs were basically matched by Blicavs, and Hawkins chipped in with 4, so I’m guessing stanley didn’t ruck for anywhere near as long as Fort did. Hardly the sort of performance that prompts regret about letting him go
There was a graphic on the screen at the ground in the 4th Q.
Stanley had 5 H.O to Adv compared to Fort's 6.. Yet contested 20+ less stoppages.

The idea that he was poor is well off the mark.

Fort had 15 disposals, 5 marks, 5 score involvements and had to compete against two players all night.
You said Stanley belted Fort which is blatantly false and anyone who watched the game can see that.

Fort had 15 disposals, 5 marks, 5 score involvements and had to compete against two players all night.
You said Stanley belted Fort which is blatantly false and anyone who watched the game can see that.

He played half the game time in the ruck and matched his output.

Seems like everyone else who watched the game agrees with me that Fort was outclassed across the whole game based on the comments in this thread.

You said Fort showed why we should have kept him and dispensed with Stanley which is blatantly false and anyone who watched the game can see that.

Seems like everyone else who watched the game agrees with me that Fort was outclassed across the whole game based on the comments in this thread.

You said Fort showed why we should have kept him and dispensed with Stanley which is blatantly false and anyone who watched the game can see that.

We are on the Geelong board right? :p
Some still have a lot of time for Jordan Murdoch and what he did during his time at the club.

Regarding the ruck from last Friday night - here's the match stats for hitouts, centre bounce attendances & ruck contests

Stanley attended 39 ruck contests, winning 21 hitouts
Blicavs attended 37 ruck contests, winning 20 hitouts
So the two key Geelong rucks from Friday night, each won over 50% of ruck contests attended

As for Fort, he attended 66 ruck contests for 23 hitouts watch is slightly over 1/3 win rate

Looking at the ratios, Fort was serviceable in first game as Brisbane's #1 ruck, but didn't put up numbers to suggest you'd want to be relying on him to be your go to ruck option

Got to say that Stanley did what we've asked of him when coming up against an opponent's fringe ruck option - play as the dominant ruck in the match, and not give his opponent an early chance to build confidence

7B2F93C2-1C54-4C87-A4DA-34B6715E70A9.jpeg 05E7A0F0-DCB0-47E1-A165-FB9BA9A14DA5.jpeg

I stand by that comment.
Rhys Stanley is the ultimate underachiever. He will never, ever give us solid back-to-back performances in September when it matters most. He will forever be a player who had it all. 35 inch vertical leap, won grand final sprints, bench presses 165kg and yet, played the game so timidly.
I just hope Conway learns the art of ruck work from anyone else but him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back